Brava: 46-Story Residential High-Rise At 414 Milam St.

brijonmang

I don't have the specifics for the height, floors, architect, etc. but here's what she's going to look like... I believe this is the view of the north side of the building that will face Market Square.  This is based on the other renderings of the Chronicle site building.

Block 42:

AF14B151-21DF-460A-98CB-D6D32A68CF59.png

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, brijonmang said:

I don't have the specifics for the height, floors, architect, etc. but here's what she's going to look like... I believe this is the view of the north side of the building that will face Market Square.  This is based on the other renderings of the Chronicle site building.

Block 42.JPG

Grand Slam Homerun Timoric!

• Like 1

Beautiful building that will really increase the gravity of market square (along with the new office building). Only things left are the chase bank lot, the parking lot/BOA ATM at 800 Franklin, and more efficient use of the half lot of parking for Hotel Icon/Islamic Center. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, urbanize713 said:

That would make it the tallest in Houston, correct? Tallest now is 2929 Wesleyan at 533 ft ?

Emporis has 2929 Weslayan at 468'.  I think The Huntingdon is still the tallest residential in Houston at 503'

612' would make for some pretty tall ceilings for a rental building.  Skepticism might be in order here.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Emporis has 2929 Weslayan at 468'.  I think The Huntingdon is still the tallest residential in Houston at 503'

612' would make for some pretty tall ceilings for a rental building.  Skepticism might be in order here.

Find it odd Houston hasn’t built anything taller since 1984 with The Huntingdon.

21 minutes ago, htownbro said:

I find it strange that Houston doesn't have the tallest residential tower in Texas.  Nice design of this building though!

Good point, and it begs the question:  Why are the new and proposed residential/mixed use towers in Austin significantly taller, on average, than those in Houston?  Is it because real estate is much more expensive there?  Rents in central Houston have to be comparable to those in Austin.  And newly-delivered units in Houston fill quickly, so the demand is definitely there.  Why, then, the hesitation to go taller in H-Town?

33 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Skyscraper Page has 2929 at 162.5M and Huntingdon at 153.3M. Which one is right?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MarathonMan said:

Good point, and it begs the question:  Why are the new and proposed residential/mixed use towers in Austin significantly taller, on average, than those in Houston?  Is it because real estate is much more expensive there?  Rents in central Houston have to be comparable to those in Austin.  And newly-delivered units in Houston fill quickly, so the demand is definitely there.  Why, then, the hesitation to go taller in H-Town?

A few things. Land values are higher - two properties in downtown Austin have sold for $700/SF recently. The Chronicle site went for somewhere in the $500's, and I'm pretty sure that's Houston's record. This is due in part to scarcity - downtown Austin is the only place in the city you can build a highrise due to zoning, and much of it is off limits due to the Capitol view corridors. Very few land parcels in play. In Houston, you can build a highrise just about anywhere. It's also due to rents and demand being a little hotter in Austin. Downtown Houston is still taking off as a 24-hour neighborhood, downtown Austin has been at it awhile longer. This is our first downtown residential highrise after the subsidies, so 46 stories is a pretty nice start. I expect to see 50-60 floors on Block 45 whenever it gets developed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brijonmang said:

Block 42.JPG

I think it's better than Block 58. Best downtown design since Alessandra 1.0.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, urbanize713 said:

Skyscraper Page has 2929 at 162.5M and Huntingdon at 153.3M. Which one is right?

I'm not sure, but I doubt 2929 has average floor height (slab to slab)  of 13 feet, 8 inches. So, I'd lean towards Emporis' number of 468' (= 12 feet per floor, far more likely)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

A few things. Land values are higher - two properties in downtown Austin have sold for $700/SF recently. The Chronicle site went for somewhere in the $500's, and I'm pretty sure that's Houston's record. This is due in part to scarcity - downtown Austin is the only place in the city you can build a highrise due to zoning, and much of it is off limits due to the Capitol view corridors. Very few land parcels in play. In Houston, you can build a highrise just about anywhere. It's also due to rents and demand being a little hotter in Austin. Downtown Houston is still taking off as a 24-hour neighborhood, downtown Austin has been at it awhile longer. This is our first downtown residential highrise after the subsidies, so 46 stories is a pretty nice start. I expect to see 50-60 floors on Block 45 whenever it gets developed.

To add to that, downtown Austin has the music scene and nightlife to backup living there. Houston only recently started working on bringing downtown back and it is still way behind Austin.

• Like 1