Brava: 46-Story Residential High-Rise At 414 Milam St.

brijonmang

21 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

It was nice to meet you!  Thanks for coming out.

Here's my photos of the mat pour this morning.

Great meeting you as well! I enjoyed your take / passion for large scale construction projects. Looking at your pictures, you definitely have a good eye... Our pictures were good, but I think you caught the scale of development and effort much better.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

Baking foundation...

4517AC98-7A33-4188-B6FE-0448F712D156.jpeg

4844DAC0-889E-4451-A3D2-7D2944416CEA.jpeg

Wouldn't it be fun if you could actually "bake" a building. In this example with all the tarps the building could come out like a souffle. Just pull the tarps and out grows a full building.

• Haha 4

Soooo glad you posted this I was about to ask if they needed to do anything to cool down pours this big. I'm a decent history buff and have heard a 100 times about how they had to run cooling pipes in the Hover dam because the heat generated would be immense and I was wondering if pours of this size needed cooling down too. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

Soooo glad you posted this I was about to ask if they needed to do anything to cool down pours this big. I'm a decent history buff and have heard a 100 times about how they had to run cooling pipes in the Hover dam because the heat generated would be immense and I was wondering if pours of this size needed cooling down too. 

I saw a documentary on the Burj Khalifa where they showed the construction crew dumping massive amounts of ice into the concrete mix as it made its way to the pumps. Interesting stuff. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

I saw a documentary on the Burj Khalifa where they showed the construction crew dumping massive amounts of ice into the concrete mix as it made its way to the pumps. Interesting stuff. 

more common than you think! Even for small-ish pours. Refer to section 2.4

http://dl.mycivil.ir/dozanani/ACI/ACI 305R-99 Hot Weather Concreting_MyCivil.ir.pdf    (older version)

• Like 4

On 12/19/2019 at 9:15 PM, hindesky said:

The tower crane is going up this weekend and Milam and Prairie will be partially closed.

Reduced Traffic Lanes on Milam and Prairie
Friday, December 20 - Sunday, December 22
Harvey will be reducing the traffic lanes on Milam and closing the 700 block of Prairie Street in order to erect our tower crane. The closures are scheduled to begin 12/20 at 7 pm and continue until 12/22 at 11:59 pm.

During these hours, Milam traffic on the 400 and 500 block will be reduced to a single lane on the east side with all business entrances along Milam remaining accessible. Prairie street will also be reduced to a single lane on the 800 block (northern lane). Lastly, the western traffic on Prairie will be required to turn south onto Milam with a full closure of the 700 block of Prairie.

QRYvng3.png

Okay, I'll say it.  Wow, just wow.  I'm so happy they are alerting us to this erection. LOL !  Good news however that it has started though.

Edited by ArtNsf
correction of grammer/spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I am surprised at how close it is to the adjacent building (Hogg).  If those windows are residential units (as opposed to say, an interior hallway, the value of those units has to be pretty much destroyed as they will be looking straight into what I imagine is a parking garage!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

Why was the tower crane installation delayed?

I don't know. Wanted to ask a guy I had talked to before but he was always on the phone when I rode by. There was an At crane on the south side but it wasn't anywhere big enough to set tower crane parts. I assume the crawler crane might set parts of it but it doesn't have the main block on it and when I operated a crawler crane like this it's only good for about 15,000 lbs on the jib.

DLPcPtm.jpg

• Like 8

On 12/23/2019 at 6:39 PM, mls1202 said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I am surprised at how close it is to the adjacent building (Hogg).  If those windows are residential units (as opposed to say, an interior hallway, the value of those units has to be pretty much destroyed as they will be looking straight into what I imagine is a parking garage!

Hogg Palace is more or less an Airbnb style hotel at this point. You can find a bunch of the apartments for rent on sonder. As for the view, I'm betting you're right! Depending on the height of the garage, those windows are going to get a lot of privacy or a close up view of the Preston's pool deck. 

• Like 1