Brava: 46-Story Residential High-Rise At 414 Milam St.

brijonmang

Preston St. Construction
Saturday, May 18 & Sunday, May 19 (6 am – 6 pm) 
Complete continuous closure of the 700 block of Preston St. (between Louisiana and Milam) in order to mobilize heavy equipment onto site and to begin the heavy demolition process of the old parking garage located next to the Hogg Palace.
Detour: Motorists traveling east on Preston will be detoured left onto Louisiana, right on Franklin, right on Milam, then left back onto Preston.
Contact: D.E. Harvey Builders, Mr. Wilson Santos 713-550-1604

• Like 5

Talked with a Harvey safety guy about this project. He said they are making their way into it from the north and 2 shears will then demo it from inside so they can continue for approximately 10 days and not have to shut down the streets. They had to cut down 2 trees on the north side but will be replaced. 6 am - 6 pm daily and they have already had complaints from the Market Square tower people about it.

3wgyk1L.jpg

a2r4LIV.jpg

u96bBTs.jpg

• Like 8

Makes sense that a nice dark patina would form there. Better than some beige stucco that fades out.

One thing I wonder about is the future of all these modern buildings with metal panels and bits that stick out. That stuff will rust in the corners over time and look bad.

• Like 1

I know this is a bit off topic but with the rise of online banking I really hope that Chase Bank at the northern corner of Market Square can be developed into something special. That whole ring around the park has seen so much positive change in the last five years with it being the last hold out. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jmitch94 said:

I know this is a bit off topic but with the rise of online banking I really hope that Chase Bank at the northern corner of Market Square can be developed into something special. That whole ring around the park has seen so much positive change in the last five years with it being the last hold out. 

There's a thread dedicated to that lot and building: 212 Milam (the old Chase Motor Bank).
I hope so, too. Perhaps the recent death of I. M. Pei will increase interest in preserving this building.

Edited by dbigtex56
add info
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, thatguysly said:

The exposed side is interesting. It wasn't finished since a garage was there. Wonder what they do now.

Looks to me like it was finished at one point but the windows were bricked over when the garage went up.  I think the brick just is painted?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thatguysly said:

The exposed side is interesting. It wasn't finished since a garage was there. Wonder what they do now.

I asked this question to the second more informed Harvey worker and he said that Hines might negotiate something with Hogg palace to pretty it up.

• Like 4