Brava: 46-Story Residential High-Rise At 414 Milam St.

brijonmang

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you old enough may remember the area of Market Square park 25 to 30 years ago. It was crowded with winos and homeless people. This change is not as  surprising as the collapse of communism in the 80's, but as a local event it is astonishing. If the international tower is ever built that will be icing on the cake.

• Like 5

On 3/12/2019 at 7:09 PM, Twinsanity02 said:

Those of you old enough may remember the area of Market Square park 25 to 30 years ago. It was crowded with winos and homeless people. This change is not as  surprising as the collapse of communism in the 80's, but as a local event it is astonishing. If the international tower is ever built that will be icing on the cake.

It still is. Winos are now bar hoppers, and the homeless* are still around. It’s not nearly as unwelcoming even 15 years ago.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I had previously thought that this project was unsubsidized. Turns out that it is being built in an Opportunity Zone, a program created by Trump's 2017 tax cut to increase investment to lower-income areas. Investors in such properties can avoid all capital gains tax if they hold their investment for ten years. Warms my heart to see the flow of funds to this lower-income area.

http://realtynewsreport.com/2019/04/01/the-first-fruits-46-story-tower-breaks-ground-in-opportunity-zone-in-downtown-houston/

Looks like official groundbreaking might have been today?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I had previously thought that this project was unsubsidized. Turns out that it is being built in an Opportunity Zone, a program created by Trump's 2017 tax cut to increase investment to lower-income areas. Investors in such properties can avoid all capital gains tax if they hold their investment for ten years. Warms my heart to see the flow of funds to this lower-income area.

http://realtynewsreport.com/2019/04/01/the-first-fruits-46-story-tower-breaks-ground-in-opportunity-zone-in-downtown-houston/

On April 1st, it's hard to take some things seriously.😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

For a map of opportunity zones see here:

https://www.cims.cdfifund.gov/preparation/?config=config_nmtc.xml

Filter the layers menu on the right hand side. 

From the article I cited: "If an Opportunity Zone investor holds the property for 10 years, the investment will be excluded from paying capital gains tax."

From the Wikipedia entry: " Capital gain taxes are deferred for investments reinvested into investments in these zones and, if the investment is held for ten years, all capital gains on the new investment are waived."

18 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Why is downtown an Opportunity zone? I'm all for more investment downtown, but it's not exactly a "lower-income area"

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Why is downtown an Opportunity zone? I'm all for more investment downtown, but it's not exactly a "lower-income area"

Could the true “Opportunity” in Opportunity Zone  refer to the windfall extended to real estate developers by our real estate developer President?  Conflict of interest?  Or mere coincidence?  You decide.  Regardless, I’m glad Hines is stepping forward to help lift Market Square out of its depression.

Edited by MarathonMan
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, cspwal said:

I don't know how all of downtown was designated an Opportunity Zone given that it has the highest land values and office rents in the city. All I can guess is that someone was smart and moved the right levers. This is not typical of OZ's in other cities. In Dallas, only the southernmost part of downtown (around City Hall) is designated, which makes sense there. In Austin, none of downtown. San Antonio has most of its central downtown (including Riverwalk area) designated, but the office market there has long been stagnant. Atlanta has a small area of its downtown designated around the Five Points.

At any rate, let's enjoy the windfall of cash that this will bring downtown. (Also EaDo, north downtown warehouse district, and Midtown east of Main.) I wonder if the Marriott Moxy is an OZ investment?

7 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Very happy with the Preston going up and the awful garage going down. I hope these OZ's  includes the south- southeast portion of the downtown.  The Hamilton looks lonely out there by itself.

As was stated above, all of downtown Houston is an OZ.

• Like 3

For anyone actually interested in the OZ designation process, here is some great information.

In brief summary, yes the zones were nominated by the Governor of each state, and eligible census tracts are:

-- Tracts in which the poverty rate is at least 20 percent, or

-- Tracts in which the median family income does not exceed 80 percent of the statewide median family income if located outside of a metropolitan area, or

-- Tracts in which the median family income does not exceed 80 percent of the statewide median family income or the metropolitan area median family income, whichever is higher.

Special Rule: In order to provide real-world flexibility in assembling economically meaningful zones from individual census tracts, governors are permitted to substitute a small percentage of non-low-income census tracts in their nominations, as long as the tracts are contiguous with other nominated low-income tracts and the median family income does not exceed 125 percent of the adjacent qualifying tract. Not more than 5 percent of the total number of designated tracts in a state can qualify under this criterion.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

so anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Are they going to jackhammer the garage to death or are they going to blow it up?

Either way, the folks in the Hogg lofts are going to have a bad time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2