Brava: 46-Story Residential High-Rise At 414 Milam St.

brijonmang

On 8/18/2018 at 4:14 AM, 'Stonian said:

So in other words, you were wrong swtsig? 

never!

On 8/18/2018 at 11:34 AM, Sanjorade said:

Hines is about to build condos on Waugh, I believe. 

not my understanding but i've been wrong before.... errrr i mean i'm never wrong.

39 minutes ago, Nole23 said:

Nice! Looking forward to the parking garage meeting the wrecking ball.

That garage is part of Houston history and has architectural value. It should be protected for it's value in demonstrating an era in History that Houston dominated and this garage in particular is a perfect representation of that era.

Just kidding 

This thing is super ugly. I wish there was a word that describes a building so jarring to the viewing the area that it seems to be an affliction to the eye. 

17 minutes ago, HoustonIsHome said:

That garage is part of Houston history and has architectural value. It should be protected for it's value in demonstrating an era in History that Houston dominated and this garage in particular is a perfect representation of that era.

Just kidding 

This thing is super ugly. I wish there was a word that describes a building so jarring to the viewing the area that it seems to be an affliction to the eye. 

Here are a few suggestions: Revolting, Hideous, Vomitous ( if it's a word), Repellent, Loathsome, Nauseous. That's my impression if I glance at it while downing a Gyro at the park.

35 minutes ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Just kidding 

It is actually one of the better garages downtown in that it has a lower ceiling height so that it can accommodate many cars without being as obtrusive as a more modern garage. In a city where most people get downtown via car, this is significant. Otherwise I agree.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:11 PM, Nole23 said:

Nice! Looking forward to the parking garage meeting the wrecking ball.

So, this building will occupy only the east half of the block and the Hogg Palace will remain?

30 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

So what does it mean when it says the "architect of record" is House & Partners? Who actually did the design?

Great find btw.

Depends on the project.

"architect of record" isn't even necessarily who designed it. It merely states who is fully responsible legally speaking for the building. If something is to go wrong with the building than you turn to the "architect of record".

I think in this case Munoz + Albin are more the design firm and House + Partners are putting together to Construction Documents and will be managing the project.

Sometimes its reverse though.

Edited by Luminare

33 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

So what does it mean when it says the "architect of record" is House & Partners? Who actually did the design?

Great find btw.

Btw the way this happens quite frequently. Especially in Houston.

Lake | Flato does this quite often. They seldom do Construction Documents and instead mostly render design services.

2 minutes ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Arch of Record will be sealing the construction drawings. Other firm did the design work

Yep. Basically.

3 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Ok, thanks. So difference between broad strokes creativity and nitty gritty.

Thats a good way to put it.

Again it just depends on the focus of the project, the firm, the client, etc...

In other circumstances with firms that don't have offices in Texas, but still provide a design, they may not have anyone in their office that is licensed in Texas and normally will partner up with a local firm. Local firm stamps the project and is "architect of record", but the designers of the project still get recognition.

Another situation is a firm that has some interesting ideas for a building type they are working on, but doesn't have the experience in assembling the drawings and details or hasn't had experience in getting that particular building type permitted and will partner with another firm for that reason.

There are a ton more, but these are common occurrences.

29 minutes ago, enriquewx91 said:

It shouldn't. If anything, it will add to the view and they'll be looking down at a possible pool on this building. A more urban feel.

Yeah its like what do you want more? A nice new building that makes the city feel more like a city, or a giant hole in the ground, or a parking lot.

• 2 months later...