Brava: 46-Story Residential High-Rise At 414 Milam St.

brijonmang

1 hour ago, cougarpad said:

Still trying to figure out how much of the skyline this new tower is going to block from Market Square's sky deck and pool. Would suck to have paid rent for the amenities in Market Square including the scenery to now have it obstructed. 

Lucky for them it's rent and not mortgage and if you live downtown, you have to know that can happen.  

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Been to a few job sites where I have to do this. I think its a good idea. Stretching and flexing is certainly cheaper than an OSHA recordable from pulling a muscle. I like it.

My company started doing this recently in the office and on job sites. It is done daily and not required but a lot of people choose to participate.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Fun Fact! 

#3 bar, Diameter 3/8" 

#4 bar, Diameter 4/8"

#5 Bar, Diameter 5/8"

#6 Bar, Diameter 6/8"

#7 Bar, Diameter 7/8"

#8 Bar, Diameter 8/8"

#9 Bar, Diameter 9/8" (also 1 in^2 in cross area)  - Pre 1940's, #9 bars would traditionally be square 1"x1" bars. 

#10 Bar, Diameter 1.27" (They stopped using the previous numerical system)

#11 bar, Diameter 1.41"

#14 bar, Diameter, 1.693"

#18 bar, Diameter 2.257"

Here's a picture of #18 bar I took the other day

image.png.d4e677931014bc0f848112594cb0c43e.png

That would make a very cool lamp base.

10 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

Is the "design" in the rebar to grip the concert, so it basically won't slide around inside? 

Yes! You want the concrete and rebar to act as a composite material. The rebar deformation patterns were standardized in 1947. Before then there was a lot of variance on rebar deformation patterns and a lot of proprietary shaping by manufacturers . Even older concrete structures (Normally pre-1920's)  have "smooth" bar. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Yes! You want the concrete and rebar to act as a composite material. The rebar deformation patterns were standardized in 1947. Before then there was a lot of variance on rebar deformation patterns and a lot of proprietary shaping by manufacturers . Even older concrete structures (Normally pre-1920's)  have "smooth" bar. 

Its fun reading old Architectural Record publications because you start seeing old adds for things like this or the new "revolution" or "miracle" materials. Such as when you read the very first issue which was like 1899? talking about Terracotta veneers and then in the 1920's  with things like concrete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purdueenginerd said:

I imagine there are some oddball engineers who collect samples of the old rebar patterns the way people collect early barbed wire patterns.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I imagine there are some oddball engineers who collect samples of the old rebar patterns the way people collect early barbed wire patterns.

I know a few actually who do. 

I do collect old AISC steel construction manuals (though I use them for work still on occasion)

Right now I have 1st, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 13th, 14th, 15th edition. My 1st edition is dated January 1930. Found it for about 60 dollars online. The 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th I have found at Half-Price Books over the years, each for about 15-20 dollars. 13-15 Ive used in my professional career so I bought them when they were/are still active codes. 

• Like 9

I talked with a Harvey worker who seemed to be in the know. I asked about the tower crane and he said this will be the only tower crane, they were going to have one on the southeast corner that would have been a luffer. It was decided that the crawler crane will build the podium and when it rises above the Hogg building they will install the tower crane. Mat ready mix pour will be on Sunday Dec. 8th starting at 2am and last for about 16 hrs.

• Like 5