Jump to content
yaga

Metro Next - 2040 Vision

Recommended Posts

THE FIRST LIGHTRAIL STOP WEST OF DOWNTOWN!!! We'VE FINALLY DONE IT!!!!!!!  URBAN DENSITY, HERE WE COME! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, crock said:

THE FIRST LIGHTRAIL STOP WEST OF DOWNTOWN!!! We'VE FINALLY DONE IT!!!!!!!  URBAN DENSITY, HERE WE COME! 

 

And it only will cost $1 million

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cspwal said:

Hopefully they will keep that open as an option on both ends - I could see having a route that goes just from Wheeler to NW transit Ctr  and back

 

That would be amazing and I don't see why it wouldn't be doable. No transfer and then hov on I-10 to quickly get between Downtown and Uptown. And there aren't really any fast options between Uptown and the Med center/museum district right now. This proposal would make it one transfer, hov-ing on 59 and then LRT. Add some metro police to Wheeler station and it's golden.

 

EDIT: Actually, the I-10 route should be it's own lane, not shared with HOV, right? So if they do this, then it's literally a traffic free option between Downtown and Uptown.

Edited by paul2834

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TMC Transit Center isn't anywhere near as bad as Wheeler, so I think once the Ion opens and there's more activity in the area it will get better

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, paul2834 said:

 

That would be amazing and I don't see why it wouldn't be doable. No transfer and then hov on I-10 to quickly get between Downtown and Uptown. And there aren't really any fast options between Uptown and the Med center/museum district right now. This proposal would make it one transfer, hov-ing on 59 and then LRT. Add some metro police to Wheeler station and it's golden.

 

That would honestly be amazing. If I could trade the 20 mins (no traffic) to get to Uptown from Med/Museum District and then the 10 mins to find parking (but still worrying about not drinking) for 35-40 mins of transit I would vote for that in a heart beat. For weekends, I could see the Galleria just being absurdly full if that happened. The nice thing is that those who live on Blalock and further down towards Memorial Mall now have the reverse; what used to be a 30-40 min drive for them to the museums or Hermann Park with sometimes painful parking situations all of a sudden has a relatively simple transit option. 

 

Also, if you link everything from the Wheeler station to Uptown, now all those downtown Hotels have a way to get to Uptown too. This almost makes too much sense for Houston. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fingers crossed Uptown gets direct non-transfer, non-local road connections to Downtown and Wheeler Station. It would complete connecting the three hubs with fast travel in between and make exploring the major destinations a lot easier for travelers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What they could do is have the Uptown BRT line go from NW transit center to Wheeler with a frequency of every 8 minutes, and then the longer line marked blue on the map have a frequency of every 8 minutes, which would give really high frequency service through the inner loop - a BRT coming every 4 minutes that takes you to Montrose, Greenway, Upper Kirby, etc.  I'd imagine two seperate lines (gold and blue):

Gold Line

Eastbound to Wheeler TC

Westbound to Northwest TC

 

Blue Line

Eastbound to Tidwell TC

Westbound to Westchase TC

 

If they still want to do the line from Bellaire to uptown (the little gold stick on the map) it would have to be a separate line, but you could use that to keep the frequency up on Post Oak Blvd

 

The great thing is that once you make the busways and the stations, you can change all this relatively easily

E2qZiuQ.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wilcal said:

I really think that they should combined the I-10 BRT with the Galleria BRT line. That way you can one connection from the red/green/purple lines and other BRT lines ending in downtown (lika IAH) to the Galleria. 

 

They will be connected. The Uptown BRT line will go through the Northwest Transit Center and then run east towards downtown along an elevated busway that METRO and TxDOT are designing right now.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget about connecting the Washington and Uptown BRTs to the highspeed rail station at the old Northwest Mall. TCHR is reporting that they are on pace to break ground in the next year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cougarpad said:

Don't forget about connecting the Washington and Uptown BRTs to the highspeed rail station at the old Northwest Mall. TCHR is reporting that they are on pace to break ground in the next year. 

 

Riiiiiiiight. I'll believe that when I see it. That date has been pushed back so many times. 

 

Will a full connection make sense, or would it be better to have it as a stub with it's own bus or two? Basically, how much extra time would it take if you were doing Galleria to Downtown.

 

I'm not against the idea unless it's less than 8-10 minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wilcal said:

 

Riiiiiiiight. I'll believe that when I see it. That date has been pushed back so many times. 

 

Will a full connection make sense, or would it be better to have it as a stub with its own bus or two? Basically, how much extra time would it take if you were doing Galleria to Downtown.

 

I'm not against the idea unless it's less than 8-10 minutes. 

The proposed high-speed rail station is supposed to be only a couple of blocks from the Northwest Transit Center. The Uptown BRT would only need to be lengthened a short distance north. The schematics that I have seen for this new Metro plan have the BRT accommodating for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cougarpad said:

The proposed high-speed rail station is supposed to be only a couple of blocks from the Northwest Transit Center. The Uptown BRT would only need to be lengthened a short distance north. The schematics that I have seen for this new Metro plan have the BRT accommodating for this.

 

Yeah, looks like almost exactly 1 mile each direction, which really isn't too bad. That could be done in 6-8 minutes with a dedicated lane/signal prioritization for sure. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...