METRO Next - 2040 Vision

yaga

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:55 PM, Houston19514 said:

Yeah, probably would be overkill to have all three lines go to Hobby.  Of course, nobody has proposed such a thing.

Slide 18 of the MetroNext plan shows them proposing just that.  However, I really doubt we will ever get anything like what they have in this plan.

And....looking at it further, I now can see having the red line go there so that TMC workers have a straight shot to Hobby, rather than going downtown and switch lines. But it would be good to show at least one of those three lines go elsewhere, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Luminare said:

From Swamplot today:

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2018/11/23/312741/metro-moves-to-the-next-phase-in-developing-a-regional-transit-plan/

Lets change that BRT to Lightrail! We have the government components in place. Time to upgrade that plan!

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw they were opening the plan up to discussion again.

And why settle there? Let's get heavy rail down Washington or Westheimer!

45 minutes ago, Luminare said:

From Swamplot today:

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2018/11/23/312741/metro-moves-to-the-next-phase-in-developing-a-regional-transit-plan/

Lets change that BRT to Lightrail! We have the government components in place. Time to upgrade that plan!

That would be great news, but I just don't want to get my hopes up too much. 

Just now, CaptainJilliams said:

One of my mottos is: "Always aim high."

Actually another motto I live by kinda relates to your profile pic haha: "You will miss 100% of the shoots you don't attempt."

If we want these things then we must make it known.

4 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

I honestly think the issue has been the divided politics in the Loop. The people have already voted many times for better transit. Now that the county has become more blue, I think we have a better chance at getting what we've wanted. 

4 minutes ago, ADCS said:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw they were opening the plan up to discussion again.

And why settle there? Let's get heavy rail down Washington or Westheimer!

I agree. However I kinda want METRO to focus on local transit. I really think we need to lure a different company or create a quasi private government partnership for Heavy Rail. Would be a good idea to wait till TCR activates the HSR. If its successful then rail will go bananas.

3 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I honestly think the issue has been the divided politics in the Loop. The people have already voted many times for better transit. Now that the county has become more blue, I think we have a better chance at getting what we've wanted. 

That's very true. I guess the question is whether or not the Post Oak Blvd BRT could be converted to light rail at this point in time. Can the infrastructure being built currently support a change like that? I think this was discussed on another thread, but I don't know if we ever got a good answer.

As for a Richmond/Westheimer line, I believe either of those is in the realm of possibility in comparison to Post Oak.

Just now, CaptainJilliams said:

That's very true. I guess the question is whether or not the Post Oak Blvd BRT could be converted to light rail at this point in time. Can the infrastructure being built currently support a change like that? I think this was discussed on another thread, but I don't know if we ever got a good answer.

As for a Richmond/Westheimer line, I believe either of those is in the realm of possibility in comparison to Post Oak.

BRT is a solid investment right now for the city. It’s cheaper and just as asthetically pleasing as light rail. There are a few success stories in SF and Chicago. I think the best option right now for Richmond is BRT. And we can focus our energy on getting the airports connected to light rail. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

BRT is a solid investment right now for the city. It’s cheaper and just as asthetically pleasing as light rail. There are a few success stories in SF and Chicago. I think the best option right now for Richmond is BRT. And we can focus our energy on getting the airports connected to light rail. 

In my experience through different types of negotiations, whether personally or in architecture, you get in everything you really want first. You can always scale back. BRT might be more realistic, but we just don't know what might happen. We get in as much as we would like to see and then trim it down to the must have's later.

I also read in the AP the other day that Pelosi (who I never ever thought would ever say something sensible in her political career), claimed that she wants the Democrat controlled House to be focused on public works (among other things). The president even wants to send funding to infrastructure projects. Lets go big now!

Edited by Luminare

4 minutes ago, Luminare said:

In my experience through different types of negotiations, whether personally or in architecture, you get in everything you really want first. You can always scale back. BRT might be more realistic, but we just don't know what might happen. We get in as much as we would like to see and then trim it down to the must have's later.

I also read in the AP the other day that Pelosi (who I never ever thought would ever say something sensible in her political career), claimed that she wants the Democrat controlled House to be focused on public works (among other things). The president even wants to send funding to infrastructure projects. Lets go big now!

Great point. We need to go big! I will applaud Trump for this though I'm not his biggest fan. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

18 hours ago, Luminare said:

I agree. However I kinda want METRO to focus on local transit. I really think we need to lure a different company or create a quasi private government partnership for Heavy Rail. Would be a good idea to wait till TCR activates the HSR. If its successful then rail will go bananas.

Oh, I'm not talking commuter - I'm talking a grade-separated rapid transit system. Since this is a long-term plan, and TCR is more likely, why not have it on the books?

18 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I agree that it looks like it will end up being BRT, but if there's any corridor in Houston that's more appropriate for rail than BRT, it's the western corridors such as Richmond and Westheimer connecting Downtown and Uptown.  Not at least trying for rail on these corridors would be a mistake as opting for BRT vs rail would limit transit ridership potential in the area.  

Edited by mfastx

Just now, mfastx said:

I agree that it looks like it will end up being BRT, but if there's any corridor in Houston that's more appropriate for rail than BRT, it's the western corridors such as Richmond and Westheimer connecting Downtown and Uptown.  Not at least trying for rail on these corridors would be a mistake and severely limit transit ridership potential in the area.  

That's weird because yesterday I was thinking the same thing. Richmond and Westheimer are the two main thoroughfares that connect the eastern side of the city to the western side. Not excluding Washington Ave of course. 

I've said it in so many other threads, but I'll say it here, I wish someone had the guts to make sure either HCTRA and METRO were combined, and that for every dollar spent on tollways, they had to spend a percentage on fixed guideway transit (BRT, LRT, HRT, whatever). And if not merged, then at least send percentage of funds to METRO for that specific purpose.

• Like 2

Metro had a workshop yesterday and a boarding meeting today.  Here is the download with the new "Moving Forward Plan A Plus" plan

http://ridemetro.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=5&clip_id=1747&meta_id=39956

Big changes are

- new BRT line along Gessner from West Little York all the way to Missouri City

- new BRT line up to IAH

- extending both the Purple and the Green lines to Hobby

- extending the Red line to North Shepherd

- less "BOOST" corridors, but more focused on East-West travel

- Purple/Green line extension to the city courthouses

- no more red line extension to the airport, which never really made sense to me anyway

- a new "signature bus service" from downtown to uptown

- 2 way HOV lane from midtown to edloe on 59

12 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Metro had a workshop yesterday and a boarding meeting today.  Here is the download with the new "Moving Forward Plan A Plus" plan

http://ridemetro.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=5&clip_id=1747&meta_id=39956

Big changes are

- new BRT line along Gessner from West Little York all the way to Missouri City

- new BRT line up to IAH

- extending both the Purple and the Green lines to Hobby

- extending the Red line to North Shepherd

- less "BOOST" corridors, but more focused on East-West travel

- Purple/Green line extension to the city courthouses

- no more red line extension to the airport, which never really made sense to me anyway

- a new "signature bus service" from downtown to uptown

- 2 way HOV lane from midtown to edloe on 59

Heartbreaking still no LRT for University Line :/

I guess BRT will do.

I have so so so many questions about the details of this revised plan and I feel like I don't have a good person to ask.

In case anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

1) Should we be extending the red line north to a park and ride? I don't get that positioning. 

2) The westheimer signature bus service. It doesn't appear to run on Westheimer the whole way. Where does that dogleg?