Jump to content

METRO Next - 2040 Vision


yaga

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Ok Metro needs to figure out a way to prevent people from crossing the Silver Line at random sections along the street. This is not only dangerous but really annoying.

They're solution on the Metrorail stretches was plastic chains that the pedestrians immediately dismantled or just go under.  The real solution is more actual crosswalks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Any word on when they're going to start on the rail extension to Hobby airport? I feel like metro is taking a while to start on any of their projects. 

Me too. I remember in previous approved transit projects a shovel was in the ground within a few weeks. Idk why a lot of preplanning wasn't done sooner along with community input. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Any word on when they're going to start on the rail extension to Hobby airport? I feel like metro is taking a while to start on any of their projects. 

I bet all agencies are dragging their feet right now waiting for the infrastructure thing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Me too. I remember in previous approved transit projects a shovel was in the ground within a few weeks. Idk why a lot of preplanning wasn't done sooner along with community input. 

I think your memory is playing tricks on you.  The very idea of a transit project putting shovels in the ground within a few weeks of a vote is fantasy talk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Any word on when they're going to start on the rail extension to Hobby airport? I feel like metro is taking a while to start on any of their projects. 

There doesn't seem to be any movement at all on the rail portions of MetroNext. Not sure why they are low on the priority list.  But it is unfair to flatly say they are taking a while to start on any of their projects.  Several of the MetroNext projects are well underway and several of the major (non-rail) projects are moving along about as fast as such things can move. (it's an unfortunate fact of life that anything using federal dollars takes a LONG time to get through all of the federal regulatory hurdles).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

There doesn't seem to be any movement at all on the rail portions of MetroNext. Not sure why they are low on the priority list.  But it is unfair to flatly say they are taking a while to start on any of their projects.  Several of the MetroNext projects are well underway and several of the major (non-rail) projects are moving along about as fast as such things can move. (it's an unfortunate fact of life that anything using federal dollars takes a LONG time to get through all of the federal regulatory hurdles).

We all got to remember that Covid is still a thing, and Covid had led to decreased transit ridership nationwide, and is putting transit agencies in the red. I don't expect much to be done transportation wise, for the foreseeable future other than what has already been started. Federal money from that infrastructure bill will help get things off the ground, but we all know how much red tape comes with any kind of federal money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Houston19514 said:

I think your memory is playing tricks on you.  The very idea of a transit project putting shovels in the ground within a few weeks of a vote is fantasy talk.

I mean I remember that for the Red Line. It was just a few weeks after the proposal was approved that construction started. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The exact alignments for the extensions have not been announced (nor selected). There is still a good amount of things for planners and METRO to do before we will hear more. Plus, we still need to go through the public outreach portion. 

Edited by Justin Welling
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I mean I remember that for the Red Line. It was just a few weeks after the proposal was approved that construction started. 

A few weeks after the proposal was approved by whom?  

I suspect what you are remembering is the final City Council vote granting Metro  rights-of-way to use city streets, which occurred in November 2000. AFTER Metro had spent years planning the line and running it through various other approvals.  Construction started in March 2001, 15 or 16 weeks after the right-of-way approval. (FWIW, the BRT and light rail projects included in MetroNext will also require city council  approvals of rights of way for Metro, which approvals have not yet been sought or received.)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

A few weeks after the proposal was approved by whom?  

I suspect what you are remembering is the final City Council vote granting Metro  rights-of-way to use city streets, which occurred in November 2000. AFTER Metro had spent years planning the line and running it through various other approvals.  Construction started in March 2001, 15 or 16 weeks after the right-of-way approval. (FWIW, the BRT and light rail projects included in MetroNext will also require city council  approvals of rights of way for Metro, which approvals have not yet been sought or received.)

Yeah it’s been a while lol I guess it just seemed like things moved faster for some reason 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 4/23/2022 at 11:17 AM, BEES?! said:

There are some renderings of a few different concepts for the Wheeler Transit Center that were shown during the recent Capital & Strategic Planning Committee meeting. 

The section on Wheeler Transit Center starts from page 33 of the PDF here.

 

Very nice. Thanks for posting.  I like the below-grade concept best.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess we’ll know for sure in June what the cost and scheduling estimates look like- at least that’s what I took away from the PDF. 

I think I like the below-grade BRT concept, too. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the most exensive of the three alternatives, though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see how the costs stack up.  Not so sure the below-grade will be more expensive than the Elevated concept.  They would have to acquire additional real estate for the elevated concept, plus a lot of structure to be built with the two large bus ramps plus the structure with bus boarding stations on the second level.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"caused by a bunch of people who seem to think rebuilding the highways is racist or something"

Shown to be true nationwide (for example; https://www.history.com/news/interstate-highway-system-infrastructure-construction-segregation) and is an issue rising nationwide. Not simply a Texas problem and hopefully the institutional and private vehicle issues will be addressed soon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

"caused by a bunch of people who seem to think rebuilding the highways is racist or something"

Shown to be true nationwide (for example; https://www.history.com/news/interstate-highway-system-infrastructure-construction-segregation) and is an issue rising nationwide. Not simply a Texas problem and hopefully the institutional and private vehicle issues will be addressed soon.

spot on. you beat me to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

"caused by a bunch of people who seem to think rebuilding the highways is racist or something"

Shown to be true nationwide (for example; https://www.history.com/news/interstate-highway-system-infrastructure-construction-segregation) and is an issue rising nationwide. Not simply a Texas problem and hopefully the institutional and private vehicle issues will be addressed soon.

Shown to have been true more than 60 years ago.  The thinking around highway construction no longer includes these elements and hasn't for a very long time.  Can you imagine what would happen today if a highway was deliberately run through a minority neighborhood with the intention of destroying it?  At this point using an argument that rebuilding existing highways is somehow racist is specious at best.

I would think the domain name for the article would have been a glaring clue on this, if you weren't inclined to read the article itself.

Can you illuminate me on what institutional and private vehicle issues are going to be addressed soon?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since this thread is for Metro Next, I'm moving the topic back to that.

Yea, the below grade proposal honestly looks like the best one, since the buses simply keep traveling along the same line without having to make any turns or travel to an above-grade platform. 

Most will probably disagree with me here but I would hope they can maybe buy some additional land so they can at least maintain 4 lanes at all time. I see it goes down to two lanes abruptly next to the Jack in a Box... looks sort of like a bottle neck. I know the argument will be that that's the point... to shift away from vehicles but I feel like we need to make this work for all modes of transportation. Just my 2 cents.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Triton said:

Since this thread is for Metro Next, I'm moving the topic back to that.

Yea, the below grade proposal honestly looks like the best one, since the buses simply keep traveling along the same line without having to make any turns or travel to an above-grade platform. 

Most will probably disagree with me here but I would hope they can maybe buy some additional land so they can at least maintain 4 lanes at all time. I see it goes down to two lanes abruptly next to the Jack in a Box... looks sort of like a bottle neck. I know the argument will be that that's the point... to shift away from vehicles but I feel like we need to make this work for all modes of transportation. Just my 2 cents.

Good concern. But FWIW, I doubt they actually plan to reduce Wheeler to 2 lanes at that block. These are only preliminary concepts and not to scale.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...