Harris County District Attorney's Building At 201 Fannin St.

Triton

Anyone know what is going on at 201 Fannin? Apparently it's a government building that has sat vacant for years. This is the only thing I was able to find... the county contemplating what to do with the building:

201Fannin.JPG

• 2 months later...

Building was in really poor shape, apparently, after sitting unused for 10 years, and suffering a couple of floods. I haven't seen anything on what the interior layout was like, but it may not have been suitable for renovation considering asbestos abatement, life safety changes, etc. That was one of the stated issues with the old Jeff Davis hospital, that there was no economic way to make it comply with current life safety codes due to construction methods and design.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't been by this site since the demo started and really not sure what all is around it, but sometimes just having open space around other structures can be nice just for the change of scenery. We'll see some views of buildings that we have never seen before and it might help to figure out how this site might be best utilized in the long run.

I hate to see relevant old structures destroyed or replaced with underachieving architecture,  like the Incarnate Word, disaster but sometimes it works out for the best.

It still makes me sick to see the I.W. addition and remember that there once was a historically significant structure by Nicholas Clayton, one of Texas prominent architects, on that site prior to it's replacement. You just cant win them all, but I will say that Houston's track record has improved 1000% since the sixties and seventies when everything was just bulldozed.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:24 PM, dbigtex56 said:

Can you tell if the beams were riveted or welded?

Rivited. See the first image of ekdrm2d1's February 1st post.

We're loosing some interesting period stonework on the facade but "wadda ya gonna do?"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived