Downtown Fireworks - Viewing Areas

Hey everyone, was thinking of taking my family to the fireworks downtown tomorrow but I don't want to go to Buffalo Bayou park to keep away from the crowd. I was thinking of going to Discovery Green for the kids. Do you think the fireworks will be visibible from there? Or maybe Root Memorial Square park they might be visible?

Are there any other not-crowded kid friendly parks you guys think would have a good view of the show?

Thanks

Unfortunately,  I think you can count on just about any area that has a clear view of the fireworks near (let alone in) downtown being crowded. People invariably park on the shoulder of the freeway to watch, despite warnings every year not to do so. 

If you're not determined that it has to be the downtown fireworks, you can get a really good view of the Hermann Park fireworks with less hassle - Hermann Park itself can get a bit crowded, but tolerably so, and if you want an even less-crowded option, you can pay to park in the Founders' Court lot at Rice U and watch the fireworks there from the main quadrangle. They are plenty close (and quite loud) there, and there's usually hardly anyone else around. 

Edit: paying to park at Rice is really the best option even for viewing the fireworks at Hermann Park itself, as the available parking at Hermann Park is almost certainly going to be full and not easy to get in or out of. 

19 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

Unfortunately,  I think you can count on just about any area that has a clear view of the fireworks near (let alone in) downtown being crowded. People invariably park on the shoulder of the freeway to watch, despite warnings every year not to do so. 

If you're not determined that it has to be the downtown fireworks, you can get a really good view of the Hermann Park fireworks with less hassle - Hermann Park itself can get a bit crowded, but tolerably so, and if you want an even less-crowded option, you can pay to park in the Founders' Court lot at Rice U and watch the fireworks there from the main quadrangle. They are plenty close (and quite loud) there, and there's usually hardly anyone else around. 

Edit: paying to park at Rice is really the best option even for viewing the fireworks at Hermann Park itself, as the available parking at Hermann Park is almost certainly going to be full and not easy to get in or out of. 

I wonder if Tony Marrón Park or Settegrast Parks on the east side will be crowded.

I don’t mind Hermann Park, but I know the grass will be muddy and parking will be impossible unless you arrive super early which I don’t plan on doing. Any idea how much the rice parking is?

16 hours ago, lockmat said:

I wonder if Tony Marrón Park or Settegrast Parks on the east side will be crowded.

I don’t mind Hermann Park, but I know the grass will be muddy and parking will be impossible unless you arrive super early which I don’t plan on doing. Any idea how much the rice parking is?

The Founder's Court lot is very convenient but it's not cheap - $1 per 10 minutes with a $12 daily max. If you don't mind walking from one end of campus to the other, the Greenbriar Lot is right off of Rice Boulevard near Greenbriar, just west of the stadium, and is $3 per entry per day. They have apparently changed the pricing on the Greenbriar Lot effective July 1, as it used to be $1 per hour with some sort of daily max. 

2 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

KPRC just mentioned the fireworks are still on, but the event music has been cancelled.

I’m glad. The park and grass would have been destroyed and ugly for the rest of summer.

Archived