Sign in to follow this  
Indy2HOU

Porretto Beach Abandonment

Recommended Posts

https://www.galvnews.com/news/article_38ddffe5-29d7-5242-9b5a-afcefcc11b87.html

I've been reading about a project that's been in the works since 2016 but just recently permitted to move forward back in January. The project will be placed in front of the seawall on the current land of Porretto Beach.

 

This is the PDF of the project.

https://www.galvestontx.gov/DocumentCenter/View/4558/Construction-in-Front-of-Seawall---April-28-2016

 

 

5a18c24b5cec5.image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the attached .pdf, it does mean "in front of the seawall."  As in, between the seawall and the Gulf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mollusk said:

According to the attached .pdf, it does mean "in front of the seawall."  As in, between the seawall and the Gulf.

 

I didn't think the seawall extended that far east.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

 

I didn't think the seawall extended that far east.

 

I see now that the seawall does go out there... it's just not as tall.  (edit button does not work)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if they'll ever be a Hampton's like atmosphere in Galveston? Or If they'll ever have any developments for the uber rich.

Edited by Elseed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2018 at 4:36 PM, Elseed said:

I wonder if they'll ever be a Hampton's like atmosphere in Galveston? Or If they'll ever have any developments for the uber rich.

 

Enough with wanting Galveston to be the Hamptons. Why is Galveston "supposed" to be like the Hamptons instead of just being Galveston? Should every beach resort town near a major metropolitan area be transformed into a soulless Hamptons clone for the "uber rich" and "uber rich" wannabes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2018 at 1:54 PM, Reefmonkey said:

 

Enough with wanting Galveston to be the Hamptons. Why is Galveston "supposed" to be like the Hamptons instead of just being Galveston? Should every beach resort town near a major metropolitan area be transformed into a soulless Hamptons clone for the "uber rich" and "uber rich" wannabes?

 

You're probably not very good in business. Nor do you have an imagination; pity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Catering to the "uber rich" is pretty much the exact opposite of "having an imagination." Galveston has enough actual problems that should be addressed; turning it into a playground for the wealthy would not be helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Elseed said:

 

You're probably not very good in business. Nor do you have an imagination; pity.

Galveston is fine as it is. There is no need for any further big development. There's no reason to turn the Island into a Texas version of Miami Beach, or any other place. In fact, making the entire island a state park with minimal development would be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the history of the lots outside the seawall?  Were they originally city blocks that just erroded over the years?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ttuchris said:

What is the history of the lots outside the seawall?  Were they originally city blocks that just erroded over the years?  

There were a few buildings that extended on piers beyond the Seawall that were wiped out after Ike (others existed in years before). Murdoch's rebuilt, but others like the Balinese Room or Hooters were destroyed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will the public still be able to use the beach or are they taking away a beach to give to private interests?

 

Is this a result of the demise of the open beaches act? What a shame, I can't believe they would approve something like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zaphod said:

Will the public still be able to use the beach or are they taking away a beach to give to private interests?

 

Is this a result of the demise of the open beaches act? What a shame, I can't believe they would approve something like this.

It's all pretty complicated. The Open Beaches law doesn't apply to this beach. There's more information here 

 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/columnists/greater-houston/article/Galveston-still-struggling-with-public-vs-private-12363957.php

 

Open in an incognito window to avoid the paywall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2018 at 8:00 AM, Texasota said:

Catering to the "uber rich" is pretty much the exact opposite of "having an imagination." Galveston has enough actual problems that should be addressed; turning it into a playground for the wealthy would not be helpful.

 

Nah, thats limited thinking. Thats a very old school backwards texan type thinking.  Turning it into a playground for the rich would be ideal. 

On 12/24/2018 at 11:39 AM, Ross said:

Galveston is fine as it is. There is no need for any further big development. There's no reason to turn the Island into a Texas version of Miami Beach, or any other place. In fact, making the entire island a state park with minimal development would be great.

 

It would be awesome if it could be a hybrid of South Beach and New Orleans. Its kinda lame as it is. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2018 at 9:45 PM, Elseed said:

 

You're probably not very good in business. Nor do you have an imagination; pity.

 Seems you're the one without any imagination as you seem to need every beach town to be some artificial Disneyfied simulacrum of another place in order for you to be able to enjoy it. And it's obvious from your other "make it like the Hamptons" post in the other thread, you actually have very little knowledge of what Galveston actually has to offer, as you were completely unaware of Beachtown until someone else brought it up, and your calls for a "crystal clear blue lagoon", which can only be accomplished via chlorination, are already available on the island at Moody Garden's Palm Beach and Schlitterbahn. I'd say that you should spend more time on the island so that you actually know what the island has to offer before you start dictating what it "needs", but it would be better if you just stayed away. Since Galveston in 2016 brought in nearly 3 times the visitors of the Florida Keys, it doesn't need visitors like you to "discover" what the rest of us already know and appreciate about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2018 at 10:44 PM, Elseed said:

 

Nah, thats limited thinking. Thats a very old school backwards texan type thinking.

 

Oh yeah, and pushing for spending large sums of money for intensive luxury developments on a low-lying, hurricane-prone barrier island in a time of rising sea levels is just so "forward thinking."🙄 You accuse me of “not being good at business,” but assessing risk is an important part of business you’re apparently completely clueless about.

 

Another point on your ridiculous "let's make Galveston a playground for the uber rich" premise, at the end of the canal my family's vacation home in Galveston is on, is a house that belonged to Ken Lay of Enron until his death. The next canal over, the house that Joe Jamail built in 1987 after he was the winning lawyer on the Texaco-Pennzoil lawsuit. The $10.5 billion dollar judgement was the largest in history to date, and the joke was that Jamail let Pennzoil keep some of the money. Galveston has been a playground for the uber rich of Houston for over 30 years (at least), even before it had the "crystal clear lagoon" (which it has now had in Palm Beach at Moody Gardens for over 20), and even without "Hamptons-type developments". Any uber-rich person who still finds Galveston lacking isn't going to be swayed into making the hour and a half drive to Galveston by the addition of another "crystal clear blue lagoon" chlorinated pool or more Beachtown-like developments, he's going to hop in his G6 and either go to the real Hamptons or the Caribbean in 2 and a half hours. Anyone who is "good at business" would tell you that suggestiong Galveston try to capture that market is idiotic.

Edited by Reefmonkey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2019 at 11:54 AM, Reefmonkey said:

 Seems you're the one without any imagination as you seem to need every beach town to be some artificial Disneyfied simulacrum of another place in order for you to be able to enjoy it. And it's obvious from your other "make it like the Hamptons" post in the other thread, you actually have very little knowledge of what Galveston actually has to offer, as you were completely unaware of Beachtown until someone else brought it up, and your calls for a "crystal clear blue lagoon", which can only be accomplished via chlorination, are already available on the island at Moody Garden's Palm Beach and Schlitterbahn. I'd say that you should spend more time on the island so that you actually know what the island has to offer before you start dictating what it "needs", but it would be better if you just stayed away. Since Galveston in 2016 brought in nearly 3 times the visitors of the Florida Keys, it doesn't need visitors like you to "discover" what the rest of us already know and appreciate about it.

 

Nah, I like my idea better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2019 at 12:10 PM, Reefmonkey said:

 

Oh yeah, and pushing for spending large sums of money for intensive luxury developments on a low-lying, hurricane-prone barrier island in a time of rising sea levels is just so "forward thinking."🙄 You accuse me of “not being good at business,” but assessing risk is an important part of business you’re apparently completely clueless about.

 

Another point on your ridiculous "let's make Galveston a playground for the uber rich" premise, at the end of the canal my family's vacation home in Galveston is on, is a house that belonged to Ken Lay of Enron until his death. The next canal over, the house that Joe Jamail built in 1987 after he was the winning lawyer on the Texaco-Pennzoil lawsuit. The $10.5 billion dollar judgement was the largest in history to date, and the joke was that Jamail let Pennzoil keep some of the money. Galveston has been a playground for the uber rich of Houston for over 30 years (at least), even before it had the "crystal clear lagoon" (which it has now had in Palm Beach at Moody Gardens for over 20), and even without "Hamptons-type developments". Any uber-rich person who still finds Galveston lacking isn't going to be swayed into making the hour and a half drive to Galveston by the addition of another "crystal clear blue lagoon" chlorinated pool or more Beachtown-like developments, he's going to hop in his G6 and either go to the real Hamptons or the Caribbean in 2 and a half hours. Anyone who is "good at business" would tell you that suggestiong Galveston try to capture that market is idiotic.

 

Nah, it'll be worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this