Avenue 360 Health And Wellness At 2920 Fannin St.

Highrise Tower

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

This thread was originally created November 18, 2017. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum due to a mod removing my account and its content in "error"  (supposedly). The information may be outdated or no longer relevant, but reupping provides an archive to what was posted. It also provides a place to post future updates about this property if and when it's redeveloped  An archive link  of the thread before its deletion is here.

Created a new thread for this project, that was previously discussed in the More Coming to Midtown thread. Hopefully it's easier to keep up with construction on this project in one place instead of scrolling and searching for information in the free-for-all thread it was in before.

2920 Fannin in Midtown will be home to Bering Omega Community Services.

From Google Maps

gettXFF.jpg

WGcdGri.jpg

j944NPx.jpg

This was originally posted November 18, 2017 in the previous thread for Bering Omega | 2920 Fannin | Midtown | Clinic. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

From the More Coming to Midtown thread on the Bering Omega Community Services clinic at 2920 Fannin in Midtown:

On 2/1/2014 at 6:19 AM, Urbannizer said:

Bering Omega Community Center at 2920 Fannin St.

c3d816bb-ff2e-4911-9e0e-3de0e0607c89.jpg

f20c5643-909b-47d8-9d0a-26d616815ec9.jpg

http://www.kirksey.com/project/bering_omega_community_center

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=447967

On 1/13/2017 at 2:15 PM, Urbannizer said:

http://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=9701&MeetingID=201

In April 2013, Council approved a contract between the City and Bering Omega to provide $1,100,000 in Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds for acquisition of the land located at 2920 Fannin Street, which will provide the space needed to build a new community facility.  The proposed amendment would allow Bering Omega and Houston Area Community Services (HACS) to move forward with the construction of the facility, and allow HACS to act as the operator of the facility.

Bering Omega and Houston Area Community Services (HACS) have provided services for the HIV/AIDS community for the past 15 years. Bering Omega Dental Clinic and Day Treatment Program serve approximately 3,545 individuals per year, and their Housing Assistance Program serves 1,697 households annually. Bering Omega and HACS have entered into a management agreement, which will provide a permanent home for Bering Omega that is ideally configured to their operations and adhere to Agreement obligations.

Houston Area Community Services (HACS) would assume all of the obligations under the Agreement as the manager for construction and operator of program services of the 23,750-square-foot Medical, Dental and Adult Care Clinic. The new community facility will provide HIV-related prevention and care services which include: medical care, pharmacy, dental, behavioral health, Adult Day Treatment Program, and HIV-related Housing Services. In addition, non-HIV related services will also be offered which includes the same services as referenced above.

The total construction budget is $5,440,000, which will be funded by a Construction Loan. The project completion is expected in May 2018.  No additional City funds will be granted on this project.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=546922

On 2/13/2017 at 4:04 PM, Urbannizer said:

Houston Planning Commission Approves Clinic Project Next to Midtown Park 'SuperBlock'

The Houston Planning Commission allowed a two-story medical clinic project that is located less than a block from the Midtown Park development

Fox Architecture, a small Austin-based firm that specializes in medical facilities, is designing the Houston Area Community Services at Fannin, a two-story structure of approximately 12,800 square feet.

The project appeared before the Planning Commission Feb. 2 for variances to the building line. Allowances were given to reduce the building line to 8 feet-7 inches on Fannin Street and 5 feet-10 inches on Anita Avenue, and to permit canopies to encroach 15 feet-11 inches into the 25-foot building line on Fannin and 4 feet on Anita.

This project site is currently a surface parking lot at the corner of Fannin and Anita and will encompass more than a quarter of the block that is also bounded by Taum Street and Main Street.

Across Main Street from the future HACS clinic site, Camden Property Trust and the Midtown Redevelopment Authority have been construction Midtown Park, also referred to as the SuperBlock. This 6-acre site is bounded by McGowen Street, Travis Street, Anita Street, and Main Street; Main has a light rail line and a Metro station at the northeast end of Midtown Park.

While considering the clinic site plans earlier this month, the commission was told by city staff the design would provide greater pedestrian access and encourage mixed-use redevelopment. The building line variances would allow the facility to provide "an increased amount of medical service to residents by enabling the building to have the necessary space needed to accommodate a high volume of patients with a preeminence on decreased waiting times and avoidance of overcrowding, as well as enable the facility to logically accommodate parking," the staff report said.

"Because the developer is a non-profit organization that servcices traditionally negatively susceptible populations ... it is their priority to provide a safe and accessible medical facility."

The HACS main campus is at 2150 W. 18th Street, and HACS has two branch clinics. The Midtown branch will be its fourth location.

thumbnail.php?file=HACSMedical_Topper_81

thumbnail.php?file=HACS_map_477116776.jp

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=549118

On 2/13/2017 at 11:11 PM, KinkaidAlum said:

HACS doesn't just serve "the homeless." It serves all types of people regardless of income levels. They provide a great service. Also, HACS and Bering Omega are combining forces and merging into one organization. Lots of gays live in and around Midtown. Lots of working class people work in downtown/midtown and live East of Main in the Third Ward. Plus, this will be on the light rail meaning it will service many other communities. 

So many people whine about our lack of urbanity and then a project like this pops up and everyone freaks out. Please, these types of places are a dime a dozen in New York, Chicago, Boston, San Fran, etc... Hell, my super expensive bowfront in Boston was ONE block from a massive housing complex (Villa Victoria). True mixed use is what a city center SHOULD be about. If you want a candy land UTOPIA you probably shouldn't have moved to Midtown. I hear Bridgelands is nice. 

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=549145

On 2/14/2017 at 12:40 PM, iah77 said:

There is a huge difference between sprinkling these across a city versus concentrating them in one single area creating an LA style skid row. A housing complex is not the same thing as a clinic like this and housing project in those cities serve a wide range of people versus the one's in midtown that for some reason seem to be filled with mentally ill, addictions, and people with terminally illnesses :) You can't argue that Cuney Homes just across 288 serves this same demographic. Mixed-use is not a synonym for mixed-income. Villa Victoria is not safe and has serious gang issues so really should not be mentioned as a model. The problem with the U.S is we have come to accept this crap when the city centre should be a Utopia to enjoy in peace like central  London, Paris, or Moscow and not overtaken by people who make one feel unsafe.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=549172

On 2/14/2017 at 1:12 PM, Chi-Char-Hou-Dal said:

I DO have an issue with the aforementioned clustering of services and was just questioning if it will serve as a deterrent for growth in my hood. I encourage any of you who feel like I was picking on the homeless to go to this location where I saw a homeless person shitting on Caroline on my way home from work yesterday and see if you would want to develop something across the street .

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7435384,-95.3717346,3a,75y,263.72h,78.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFmXd6ch2Pj7Ar9ArC6PS2g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This is what I am afraid of in this area - maybe some of these new service/buildings can offer public restrooms.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=549175

On 2/14/2017 at 2:45 PM, KinkaidAlum said:

I'll cut to the chase; no, these projects will not stunt the growth of Midtown. Why? Because LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.

Guess what, Midtown in the 1970s and 1980s was a cesspool. Even into the 1990s the place was better known for the bus station, drug dealers, male hustlers, a few industrial sized night clubs, and multiple gay sex clubs/bath houses but that didn't stop the first pioneers from building there and the second wave that followed when it felt a bit safer and the next batch of institutional investors (like Post) that put the place on the map to people who would have otherwise never have known about it.

Today we're seeing parks, town houses, huge midrise apartment complexes and even plans for 3 major apartment towers. This, despite a health clinic for the poor.

HACS has multiple locations. Do you know where they are? One is on Frostwood next to Centre City (Memorial). One is in the general Heights area on 18th. The third is in Spring-Cypress. Bering Omega is on Hawthorne Street in the heart of the Montrose. These are legitimate service providers. They've been a part of the community for a long time and have a great record. 

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=549182

On 2/14/2017 at 3:24 PM, Chi-Char-Hou-Dal said:

@KinkaidAlum I will back down on HACS and I really didn't mean to single it out. I do agree it's all about the location location location. To me it seems every page on this post is a new outreach, medical or service building a new headquarters. I'm officially hoping off my soap box. I believe in both sides of Midtown - here's to praying for our Aussie getting financed and Central Market taking over the WF on Elgin and Smith if WF did pull out.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=549188

On 11/14/2017 at 2:34 PM, H-Town Man said:

This is quite the phenomenal turn of events, considering that you have land whose highest and best use is site assemblage for a residential tower instead being used for a two-story clinic. You have to wonder if HACS acquired the land a few years ago before it was worth what it is now and has to meet a certain time target for developing these.

I am not one of those people who hates the sight of clinics and rehab centers and churches and wishes that every block of Midtown could be a microbrewery with architecture resembling a crumpled aluminum can, but it is unfortunate that this compromises the prime block on Main fronting the new park. But if land values keep going up then economics will eventually prevail, although it may be ten years from now.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=561147

On 11/14/2017 at 4:09 PM, cspwal said:

It will be facing Fannin not Main, and hopefully it will be somewhere that the residents of Midtown can also go for annual physicals

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=561153

On 11/14/2017 at 4:48 PM, terra002 said:

Probably the residents that live on park benches, behind dumpsters, and under freeways. 

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=561160

On 11/14/2017 at 4:58 PM, Naviguessor said:

I've been to medical clinics plenty of times for care and I have never lived any of those places.  But, if this is where People who do live in those places can get care, then great!  This is a big city and veryone needs access to care.  Facilities like this, as well as schools of many different levels, make the city a better place for everybody.  A welcome, and apparently necessary, addition to the neighborhood, IMO.   

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=561161

On 11/14/2017 at 5:20 PM, H-Town Man said:
On 11/14/2017 at 4:09 PM, cspwal said:

It will be facing Fannin not Main, and hopefully it will be somewhere that the residents of Midtown can also go for annual physicals

Never said it would face Main. I said it compromises the block on Main across from the park.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=561164

On 11/15/2017 at 8:26 AM, cspwal said:

Yeah losing the whole block isn't great, but the main street side could still have a nice half block development - maybe a mid-rise with retail or a restaurant with parking in the back

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=561199

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

This was in the previous thread for Bering Omega | 2920 Fannin | Midtown | Clinic. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by hindesky, December 30, 2017 in the thread for Bering Omega | 2920 Fannin | Midtown | Clinic.

8SA5o5e.jpg

seNpbMx.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

This was in the previous thread for Bering Omega | 2920 Fannin | Midtown | Clinic. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by dbigtex56, May 10, 2018 in the thread for Bering Omega | 2920 Fannin | Midtown | Clinic.

There's no need to mansplain. I've resigned myself to the inevitable.

But, damn, I wish that ornate 1920's building at Main and Anita (Wheeler Watch Clinic, former home of the Venture-N) could survive the frenzy of development on Main St.

It's pretty.

Originally posted by dbigtex56, January 14, 2019 in the thread for Bering Omega | 2920 Fannin | Midtown | Clinic.

Will the stairway eventually be glass-enclosed? An exterior stairway seems like a peculiar choice, especially for a clinic.

edit: Answered my own question. From the Fox Architecture website (I assume that this is the building depicted): 

https://www.aiaaustin.org/firm_profile/fox-architecture

7FzXUws.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by hindesky, January 28, 2019 in the thread for Bering Omega | 2920 Fannin | Midtown | Clinic.

On 1/13/2019 at 11:29 PM, dbigtex56 said:

Will the stairway eventually be glass-enclosed? An exterior stairway seems like a peculiar choice, especially for a clinic.

edit: Answered my own question. From the Fox Architecture website (I assume that this is the building depicted): https://www.aiaaustin.org/firm_profile/fox-architecture

I bet it will be enclosed but better to have on the exterior than taking up space in the main part of the building. I'm bet it will have an interior elevator too.

OXS1uy7.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by CaptainJilliams, March 11, 2019 in the thread for Bering Omega | 2920 Fannin | Midtown | Clinic.

Looks like little to no progress...at least from the outside.

Originally posted by hindesky, May 12, 2019 in the thread for Bering Omega | 2920 Fannin | Midtown | Clinic.

Brick is going up on the first floor.

TYaGb8C.jpg

Originally posted by hindesky, September 24, 2019 in the thread for Bering Omega | 2920 Fannin | Midtown | Clinic.

Zero progress in months when I ride by.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Bering Omega 2920 Fannin
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 8:25 PM, hindesky said:

To me it looks like all work has stopped on this project.

1QBtJid.jpg

Agree. Things I like to look for if a project hasn't been worked on in a long time is edge conditions whether it be the edges of flashing, or material next to another material, fascia on canopies or cantilevers. Its obvious this has been left to sit there for awhile now. The steel and stone are fine, but that exterior sheathing, plywood, and whatever insulation thats in there is in really bad shape, and would probably have to be pulled out and redone. I might be wrong in that, but I know if I were the architect I would not want my stamp on this project if they were just going to finish it as is.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I wonder why this project stalled? Did the people wanting it built run out of money or was the builder to blame? Several projects I've seen done by this builder seems stalled. They have one in the VA campus that looks stalled also.

NMPfLSj.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/12/2020 at 2:02 PM, hindesky said:

I wonder why this project stalled? Did the people wanting it built run out of money or was the builder to blame? Several projects I've seen done by this builder seems stalled. They have one in the VA campus that looks stalled also.

NMPfLSj.jpg

This looks terrible

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Avenue 360 Health And Wellness
  • 2 weeks later...