Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

As for the cafeteria in question, Apollopride, I remember it spelled as Jetton's.

Yes, it was Jetton's. I was familiar with the name because I lived in Ft. Worth briefly before moving here in 1970 and the name was big up there.

From Robb Walsh's Legends of Texas Barbecue: 'Walter Jetton of Fort Worth was the last of the open pit barbecuers and probably the most influential pit boss in Texas barbecue history. In the 1950s, Jetton held the record for barbecue catering, having fed twelve thousand people at one event. He also enjoyed considerable prestige as LBJs favorite caterer. In 1963, Pocket Books published his LBJ Barbecue Cookbook.'

His foray onto the Houston restaurant scene didn't last long, I think. I went there just once, remember the long lines. I think the building was on the NW corner of Richmond and Buffalo Speedway but I'm not sure if it's still there or what it houses now.

Yes, it was Jetton's. I was familiar with the name because I lived in Ft. Worth briefly before moving here in 1970 and the name was big up there.

From Robb Walsh's Legends of Texas Barbecue: 'Walter Jetton of Fort Worth was the last of the open pit barbecuers and probably the most influential pit boss in Texas barbecue history. In the 1950s, Jetton held the record for barbecue catering, having fed twelve thousand people at one event. He also enjoyed considerable prestige as LBJs favorite caterer. In 1963, Pocket Books published his LBJ Barbecue Cookbook.'

His foray onto the Houston restaurant scene didn't last long, I think. I went there just once, remember the long lines. I think the building was on the NW corner of Richmond and Buffalo Speedway but I'm not sure if it's still there or what it houses now.

Did anyone mention Tasca in this thread? It was downtown on Congress. It had phenomenal food & great ambiance. I was so sad to see it close, as I live downtown and walked there quite often. However, Charles Clark, who was the chef of Tasca has gone on to launch two of his very own successful ventures: Ibiza and Catalan.

Edited by chiffon

Even though it's only been gone a short time, I miss the original Antone's on Taft. The chain Antone's pale in comparison to the original locations. I don't even know how many 'original' stores exist.

I also miss ZuZu, which was on Shepherd near Fairview. It was Mexican fast food and I remember a salsa bar or something... it was quaint with good food.

Very Dew originals are left, I heard the one of Loop 610 is one of THEM belonging to the wife. The kids took their and went a different way..so many wonderfil lost place.. Felix's

is now gone!

Never ate there, but if nothing else they should have saved the giant shrimp with six-shooters!

My family ate out every Friday night.. I remember so many wonderful place that are still near to my heart.. Sonny Looks, The Polynesian Room, Bill Williams, Gudios, Lee's Den, Massis, Kelly's, John Bar-B-Que on Sheperd, Triple A on Airline, Bar-B-Que Inn on Yale, Navarro's, the Ding-A-Ling, Bud Bilgow on Westheimers. The Pig Stand..Some are still in business today and I still enjoy them!

Blue Bell is great ice cream but I would give 199 bucks for a Redding Vanilla Frosted Flip

John H Reagan is having the 1958 class 50th reunion.. . I can't believe it and it has us all taking a stroll now Memory Lane. Come on along!

Wow. Thanks for posting that. It was a little before my time here, but I do remember some of those places: Ouisies on Sunset,

Cattle Guard in Midtown was a trendy place for "yuppies" (this was the 1980s) for five minutes or so. There was another restaurant nearby that was nice the name of which escapes me. It was between Brazos and Bagby, and it had kind of turquoise painted metal work. Paradise maybe?

Wasn't Armandos the Mexican place on Louisiana near the Pierce Elevated and then at Mercado?

Uncle Tais on Post Oak I remember thinking was way overrated.

'K. I'll post some more in the next few days. Yes, Paradise Bar and Grill was at Smith and McGowen, approximately. Not far from Cattle Guard. Basirah, the jazz pianist, used to play there and it was one of my favorite post-theatre dessert places back in my dating days. (girls like chocolate cheesecake! ;-) ) Armando's was on Shepherd near the Hobbit Hole. Never went to Uncle Tai's, there were a lot of closer cheaper Chinese places when I lived in Montrose.

I believe the restaurant by the Pierce Elevated that went to Mercado was Adrian's. Thie first location was in a remodeled older Mexican restaurant that I think was the Santa Rosa. Never went to it as the Santa Rosa but always kind of liked the building.

I believe the restaurant by the Pierce Elevated that went to Mercado was Adrian's. Thie first location was in a remodeled older Mexican restaurant that I think was the Santa Rosa. Never went to it as the Santa Rosa but always kind of liked the building.

I miss Paradise Bar and Grill.

Wasn't Armandos the Mexican place on Louisiana near the Pierce Elevated and then at Mercado?

Uncle Tais on Post Oak I remember thinking was way overrated.

WOW Marmer! Thanks for the memories. I loved reading the Hebert's Ritz and San Jacinto Inn menus, what a flashback since I used to frequent both of those places.

Subdude: Armando's was on South Shepherd right by San Felipe (east side of Shepherd, next to a Taco Bell that's still there). It was started by Armando Palacios from Harlingen and has reopened as a more upscale restaurant now on Westheimer in River Oaks (at Kirby). Armando's original menu was unbeatable, homestyle Mexican food.

Does anyone remember Leo's Mexican Restaurant on S. Shepherd? It was a small white building with a long green awning almost out to the street. It was fave of ZZ Topp as their photos were all over the walls. I think it was torn down in the mid-80's. Anyone know anything or remember this place?

I haven't read all the posts, but here are some I'm wondering about. I haven't lived in Houston in 35 years and when I visit, I usually eat at my Dad's house, so I'm not up on the restaurant scene.

Christie's on S. Main, Med Center - we ate there every Friday night on the way over to my Grandparents' house. This would have been in the late 50s and early 60s. I would eat their incredible trout sandwich and chase it down with chocolate milk. Invariably, I would get sick and be in agony the rest of the evening. But it was SO good. I think this place burned down in the 70s. Not sure.

Christie's on Westheimer - just as good as the S. Main location but cheaper. This is where my 5 year old nephew walked over to another family's table and helped himself to their jello. We still laugh about it, 25 years later.

Youngbloods Fried Chicken on S. Main - very good chicken, nice restaurant. It probably closed in the 60s.

Valian's Italian - across the street from the Shamrock Hotel. Probably closed in the 60s. I've never experienced better Italian food.

Felix on Kirby - we were eating there when I was 5 years old. The hostess was Mrs. Harper, which happens to be my name. I ended up seeing her at the DFW airport sometime in the 80s. She remembered our family!

Bill Bennet's downtown: It was popular as a late night coffee shop. My high school buddies and I would go there after partying.

Phil's Diner (on Richmond?): great plate lunches in the early 70s.

Have I missed One's-A-Meal in this thread? They were dine-ins with counters and booths, specializing in breakfast and sandwich fare. They were mostly downtown and south to southwest of downtown in the 50's. Ones I remember were one next to the River Oaks theater, one in the Village, one at Richmond and Shepherd, and one near the old Delman theater. Any still around?

OMG...I forgot about One's-A-Meal. We ate at the one at River Oaks center when I was a kid. One time, during the 80s, I was visiting family in Houston and it was snowing and sleeting like crazy, and about 25 degrees. Since that happens maybe every 10-15 years in that part of the state, I was really excited about it. I walked into One's-A-Meal and everyone was bundled up and eating the spiciest food they could order. The windows were completely fogged over, and the outside world was white and cold. Like the lyrics from that song from Yentl, "there are moments that you will remember all your life, and this is one of those moments".

No its called "Top Notch Hamburgers"

Top Notch is on Burnet Rd. a couple of blocks from where I live. I've yet so see the movie!!

I haven't read all the posts, but here are some I'm wondering about. I haven't lived in Houston in 35 years and when I visit, I usually eat at my Dad's house, so I'm not up on the restaurant scene.

Christie's on S. Main, Med Center - we ate there every Friday night on the way over to my Grandparents' house. This would have been in the late 50s and early 60s. I would eat their incredible trout sandwich and chase it down with chocolate milk. Invariably, I would get sick and be in agony the rest of the evening. But it was SO good. I think this place burned down in the 70s. Not sure.

Christie's on Westheimer - just as good as the S. Main location but cheaper. This is where my 5 year old nephew walked over to another family's table and helped himself to their jello. We still laugh about it, 25 years later.

Youngbloods Fried Chicken on S. Main - very good chicken, nice restaurant. It probably closed in the 60s.

Valian's Italian - across the street from the Shamrock Hotel. Probably closed in the 60s. I've never experienced better Italian food.

Felix on Kirby - we were eating there when I was 5 years old. The hostess was Mrs. Harper, which happens to be my name. I ended up seeing her at the DFW airport sometime in the 80s. She remembered our family!

Bill Bennet's downtown: It was popular as a late night coffee shop. My high school buddies and I would go there after partying.

Phil's Diner (on Richmond?): great plate lunches in the early 70s.

The Christie's on Westheimer is still there, still serving trout sandwiches. All the others you mentioned are gone (and all discussed in this thread) except Phil's which is now 59 Diner and has several locations around town.

I'd have to say Burger Chef...The Cellar Door...Shakey's Pizza...Monterrey House...Del Taco...Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor...to name a few.

Monterrey House was basically "it" for "Mexican" food in the suburbs when I was a kid - unless you could go into an ethnic neighborhood and get real Mexican food. My biggest memory of Monterey House was the candy (compressed brown sugar) that they always hid under the chips. Does anyone else remember that? They would bring the tortilla chips out to the table and put as many candies under the chips as were people at the table. The candy was pure sugar and they had it tucked inside little wax paper bags. My mom always made me wait until the very end of the meal before I could dig those candies out of the bottom! :lol:

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor was the best place in the world to me as a kid. They had the great waiters in the straw hats and the clanging bells. And as you left, they had an awesome old fashioned candy shop with huge jawbreakers. I never left there without the biggest sugar rush in the world.

Speaking of candy shops, does anyone remember the one right inside the entrance at Astroworld? It was an old fashioned candy shop. And right down the sidewalk was the Rainbo bread company where I would always beg for the "tiny" loaf of bread before we left the park.

Astroworld in the 70's and 80's --- sigh!

• Like 1

Does anyone remember Leo's Mexican Restaurant on S. Shepherd? It was a small white building with a long green awning almost out to the street. It was fave of ZZ Topp as their photos were all over the walls. I think it was torn down in the mid-80's. Anyone know anything or remember this place?

Yes. I went there several times. As I recall the closing of Leo's was strongly lamented at the time. He moved over to Washington near Rockefeller's, but it was never the same. I believe there was also a calendar-style photo of a younger Leo as an ancient Greek warrior.

I'd have to say Burger Chef...The Cellar Door...Shakey's Pizza...Monterrey House...Del Taco...Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor...to name a few.

Shakey's was awesome, too. Those were the days we actually sat and ate at the pizza parlor.

The Christie's on Westheimer is still there, still serving trout sandwiches. All the others you mentioned are gone (and all discussed in this thread) except Phil's which is now 59 Diner and has several locations around town.

Amazing that Christie's is still there. Sorry about mentioning restaurants that had already been mentioned. Hope you all enjoyed my stories, though. It was fun telling them.

My first post. Been reading this thread several weeks - pure fun.

I moved to Houston in 1957 when age 12 and lived there until 2000, so my food

experiences range from the hot dogs at Playland Park to all the Asian places up & down Bellaire.

Here goes a part of my list:

Los Troncos on Westheimer, mentioned earlier. The only place you could get real Spanish Paella.

Ruby Reds Hamburgers just inside the loop. Secret source of beef from Chicago, peanuts on the floor.

Athens Bar & grill on Clinton by the ship channel. Took dates there to impress 'em. They were.

Mandola Bros Deli on Westerland in the 90's. Best muffulatta (sp?) in Houston. Extra toasted, extra olive oil.

Prices 19 cent hamburgers on Wirt in Spring Branch. Teenage hangout in early 60's.

The Balalaika Russian restaurant on Hwy 6 in the 70's. Igor took care of the customers, his mom ran the kitchen, and his dad, who was a Hungarian opera singer, would sometimes come out and sing - the walls would vibrate.

Der Haufbragarten - big German beer hall in Dickenson in the 70's. Live oompa band, picnic tables, open fireplaces to roast your wurst, and of course the beer flowed.

Hamburgers by Gormet in the 70's. My brother was the manager of the one on Kirby. He took care of me.

Nielson's Deli. One is still left maybe, on Richmond. They go back to the 50's and had 4 locations at one

time. Probably the best potato salad on the planet. They make their own mayonnaise.

Roznoski's hamburgers, 1970's and 80's, mentioned earlier. Located in basement of one of Houston's

first elementary schools. Heard they moved when the building was demo'd for townhouses.

Otto's hamburgers on Memorial near Shepherd. Proof that simple and basic is best.

Pancho's Mexican Buffet. The guacamole was actually canned peas ran through a blender and spiced up.

(source - two ex employees).

Schwinn - Your submission was a wow moment. I used to hang out at the Ritzee.

Enough for now.

What about Sander's BBQ on Park Place? Best everything in the world - and they were a meat market, too!

I remember Perry's being a meat market also ---- that was years and years before they became a very expensive, fine dining restaurant all over town. I used to go to the Perry's Meat Market in Friendswood and buy the apartment pack of meat - great quality and good prices. Those days are long gone...

I remember Perry's being a meat market also ---- that was years and years before they became a very expensive, fine dining restaurant all over town. I used to go to the Perry's Meat Market in Friendswood and buy the apartment pack of meat - great quality and good prices. Those days are long gone...

They still have a meat market and grille on 518 close to 2351.

The Balalaika Russian restaurant on Hwy 6 in the 70's. Igor took care of the customers, his mom ran the kitchen, and his dad, who was a Hungarian opera singer, would sometimes come out and sing - the walls would vibrate.

It must have lasted until at least the late 1980s, I remember eating there.

Does anyone remember the name of the Lebanese place downtown on Market Square? It didn't last that long.

Any Pasadena folks remember these burger joints from the 1960's:

'Three Gables' on Shaver?

'Burger Mart' on Edgebrook?

'Mad' Drive-in on Shaver, across from South Houston High School?

Burger Mart on Edgebrook . I was raised in Freeway Manor and remember when Edgebrook was extended to the Gulf Freeway .Must have been around 1960 or 61. Burger Mart was the very first business to go up . We kids were so excited . We all wondered what Icees were .

Athens Bar & grill on Clinton by the ship channel. Took dates there to impress 'em. They were.

My pop took us the family there over 35 years ago, a young teen at the time, I remember the belly dancer more than the food. I got embarassed feeling all tingly with my mom and dad there.

Leo's was where the car wash is now, immediately north of Fairview. The spot is used for overflow parking for Kenneally's, and I believe there is a photo of Leo's inside Kenneallys.

How about Fandango's Fajitas 10000 block of westheimer, Corrillian shopping center. Used to know the owner, Fred......last I heard he hurt his back real bad, then the store shut down, also the one on katy Fwy.

But the westheimer store is when Fred's office was. He never would tell me the seasoning they used, just said it took years to develope and it was a dry marinate. LOVED those translucent hand made flour tortillas.

Coug.

My first post. Been reading this thread several weeks - pure fun.

I moved to Houston in 1957 when age 12 and lived there until 2000, so my food

experiences range from the hot dogs at Playland Park to all the Asian places up & down Bellaire.

Here goes a part of my list:

Roznoski's hamburgers, 1970's and 80's, mentioned earlier. Located in basement of one of Houston's

first elementary schools. Heard they moved when the building was demo'd for townhouses.

If I'm not mistaken, they are now located at 34th and TC Jester. Been there a long time, always packed, but I have never gone in.

Coug