Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

Here's a few more that I remember going to as a kid:

John's BBQ-just off Houston Ave. -lots of politicos used to go here for lunch(dad was one of them of course!)

Majorca's-a Mediterranean restaurant in Clear Lake-I believe it was on the (what is now) the South Shore Harbor side.

Chesterfield-was under the First City bank Building-Leo Kalinsakis owned it-first time I ever had lamb shank.

Bayou Inn-on Heights, just south of I-10-fried quail on Tuesdays.

Oggerro's -family owned Italian on Bellfort near Mykawa.

The Warwick-back in the day, best Mother's Day/Easter buffet

Joe Lee's-near Jimmy Walker's in Kemah. Had excellent turtle soup.

Bars:

Joe Star's Omni-in Montrose-lots of punk.

Damians/Carnaby's-owned by the same folks. Both were houses that had music/beer. One was behind the River oaks theater, and one was in the Montrose. Mainly jazz, but I saw Eric Johnson there when he was about 17 years old.

Corky's-still miss Jimmy Don Smith & The Cold Cuts!

Rockers-I think it was on Gessner. Saw the Talking Heads there.

Texas Opry House-legendary live music bar. Saw Devo, T. Heads, Johnny Winter, Rory Gallagher, and many more.

The Nesadel Club-Pasadena-owned by S. Cryer & Micky Gilly back then-before the 'feud'

FM

Jenny's Hideaway on Alabama near the Menil parking lot. Probably the first and most successful conversion of that old house into a restaurant.

Harlow's Hollywood Cafe on Hillcroft. Late hours and chocolate cheesecake for dessert!

Great thread. Being new here I'm glad someone ressurected it or I might never have found it. Jenny's and Harlow's were two of my favorite places back in the 80s. I was very sorry to see Jenny's close. Harlow's had the best split pea soup on the planet!

Another place my friends and I used to frequent was Stax at Richmond and Montrose. Used to love to drop in there for an early breakfast after an all night gaming marathon (on an Apple IIe no less :D )

Would this have been the same as the Courtyard on Fondren? If so, then I do agree! ;)

I think there was more than one location of the Courtyard but I don't remember where - on Fondren at ???

Steak House Associates was the name of the company and they owned the 2 Stables restaurants, Bordman's, a seafood place on Westheimer where Chuy's is now, and Bud Bigelow's, another steakhouse on Westheimer in the Galleria area.

Another place my friends and I used to frequent was Stax at Richmond and Montrose. Used to love to drop in there for an early breakfast after an all night gaming marathon (on an Apple IIe no less :D )

We used to drop in there for a late dinner/early breakfast after the bars closed. :D

I dimly recall that it used to be a Steak 'n Egg Kitchen before it was Stacks.

steaknegg.jpg

I think there was more than one location of the Courtyard but I don't remember where - on Fondren at ???

Steak House Associates was the name of the company and they owned the 2 Stables restaurants, Bordman's, a seafood place on Westheimer where Chuy's is now, and Bud Bigelow's, another steakhouse on Westheimer in the Galleria area.

It was about a block north of West Belfort, on the west side of the street. There was a Jim's which later became a Champ's on the corner of W. Belfort and Fondren too.

The Great Greek

:lol: That was a "first date restaurant" if there ever was one!

I remember that you could buy plates for a buck, and then throw them at the waiters feet while they danced tableside!

The one over on Beechnut? I used to go all the time back during high school. I missed my cheese melts when they closed.

Yea I remember the place at the far end of the strip center opposite Los Tios...seems to me that Schlotsky's took some of their sandwich ideas when they opened in the area and Zappo's shut down...is there any connection between the two operations??

In regard to Der Weinerschnitzel... the last one I saw in Houston was on HWY 6 near 290...They still have one in downtown Bryan with the old A frame set up...stop there any time I'm in the area. There is one also in Austin near Braker and MoPac. James Coney Island basically ran them out of the area; too much competition for the SoCal boys

Great thread. Being new here I'm glad someone ressurected it or I might never have found it. Jenny's and Harlow's were two of my favorite places back in the 80s. I was very sorry to see Jenny's close. Harlow's had the best split pea soup on the planet!

Wasn't Harlow's open all night? Just the place to go after an exciting evening at Cooters. ^_^

It was about a block north of West Belfort, on the west side of the street. There was a Jim's which later became a Champ's on the corner of W. Belfort and Fondren too.

I don't remember that at all and I can't think of anything along there that would have been a building it was in, but I don't think W. Bellfort went all the way through to 59 back then and I seldom got over there on Fondren. I do remember the Champs, later an Antone's at the next cross street (now a Subway?).

Later in the decade and into the early 80s there was a Texas Tumbleweed further north on Fondren, at the southern end of that big strip center at Fondren and S. Braeswood - that would be close to a mile north of W. Bellfort.

Luke's Hamburgers

Strawberry Patch

Harlow's... before Tillman got his hands on it

Dot's Cafe

The Brisket House downtown

Christi's on S. Post Oak

and

the consession stand at Gateway Pool!

I forgot about the great fried snapper at and shrimp and Kapan's

Bill Williams Steak House in old Sugar Land, fried chicken on Sunday, way before there were kids meals!

I don't remember that at all and I can't think of anything along there that would have been a building it was in, but I don't think W. Bellfort went all the way through to 59 back then and I seldom got over there on Fondren. I do remember the Champs, later an Antone's at the next cross street (now a Subway?).

Later in the decade and into the early 80s there was a Texas Tumbleweed further north on Fondren, at the southern end of that big strip center at Fondren and S. Braeswood - that would be close to a mile north of W. Bellfort.

This would have been the Courtyard, right in the center. It closed down back sometime in the mid 80's, Champs was on the corner where the gas station is now.

By this time W. Belfort did go all the way through, however back in the 70"s it was "broken" at about the location where beltway 8 is now. You would have to kinda jog around where Rufffino Rd. is, then W. Belfort would pick back up on the other side. We lived in the Meadows back then and made this trip a lot.

I was no stranger to the Texas Tumbleweed either! That one, or the one on Richmond.

Yea I remember the place at the far end of the strip center opposite Los Tios...seems to me that Schlotsky's took some of their sandwich ideas when they opened in the area and Zappo's shut down...is there any connection between the two operations??

Zappo's was much better in my opinion. I think Schlotsky's had already been open a couple of years before Zappo's closed. When they remodeled the shopping center they raised the rent, which is probably why Zappo's closed.

Zappo's was much better in my opinion. I think Schlotsky's had already been open a couple of years before Zappo's closed. When they remodeled the shopping center they raised the rent, which is probably why Zappo's closed.

Yeah, I liked Zappo's better, too. You remember how you could buy half sandwiches? I used to go pretty regularly during my high school years and get a whole cheese melt. One day I went & ordered just a half and the guy working asked me if I just wasn't that hungry that day or what... I told him that I was just too broke that day! When I got home & opened the bag, he'd given me a full sandwich.

Yeah, I liked Zappo's better, too. You remember how you could buy half sandwiches? I used to go pretty regularly during my high school years and get a whole cheese melt. One day I went & ordered just a half and the guy working asked me if I just wasn't that hungry that day or what... I told him that I was just too broke that day! When I got home & opened the bag, he'd given me a full sandwich.

Oh, thank you for the name! I have often thought about the place, but couldn't recall what it was called. I swear the best sandwiches I still have ever eaten. And being a small person, loved being able to buy the half. One thing I found so special was their homemade bread, but the variety and quality of fillings was superb as well. Living in the area and shopping at Meyerland a lot, we made good use of Zappo's while it lasted.

Wolfgang Puck in Carillion. Gone.

When I got home & opened the bag, he'd given me a full sandwich.

See, back then it was just an innocent gesture. Today, he'd have all kinds of cops on his behind for attempted soliciation of minor.

Funny how times change, huh?

This would have been the Courtyard, right in the center. It closed down back sometime in the mid 80's, Champs was on the corner where the gas station is now.

By this time W. Belfort did go all the way through, however back in the 70"s it was "broken" at about the location where beltway 8 is now. You would have to kinda jog around where Rufffino Rd. is, then W. Belfort would pick back up on the other side. We lived in the Meadows back then and made this trip a lot.

I was no stranger to the Texas Tumbleweed either! That one, or the one on Richmond.

I didn't even realize that building had been there that far back. Also realized by the time I moved out to that part of town (west of Gessner), my company had changed hands and we no longer had the perk of eating at Steakhouse Associates on the company dollar so I wouldn't have been looking for a Courtyard. Another feature of the place on I-10 was the hot 'steamed' bread - can't remember if it was a salad bar but you could help yourself to a variety of breads that were kept in steam heated enclosures so were always hot and moist - included a dark rye or pumpernickel, a white bread and maybe one other? Also a big slab of butter to carve. Helped to soak up the martinis we drank like water.

I don't remember the jog on W. Bellfort you mention either - that must've been gone by then.

Alfie's fish and chips

And don't laugh....Steak and Egg

Regards,

Rhino

Alfie's was actually very delicious! I can just mentally picture the neat little basket of fish & chips now! (forget about the Slimfast right). :blush:

and Steak & Egg was also a very great place to have a nice fresh steaming breakfast and good coffee! We had one for years at intersection of 45 & Telephone Road right next to the huge Coca-Cola neon billboard sign. Was our teen hangout for a good while. It finally closed around earky 80's?

Although Taco Bell is still here, how many remember when the Taco Bell's all had that big FIRE pit flame as you walked in the front? I had to light that blasted thing on ocassion while working there!

In 76 that silly jingle/slogan was "Come to Taco, taco, taco , taco, Taco Bell". :lol:

Edited by Vertigo58
  • Like 1

Another feature of the place on I-10 was the hot 'steamed' bread - can't remember if it was a salad bar but you could help yourself to a variety of breads that were kept in steam heated enclosures so were always hot and moist - included a dark rye or pumpernickel, a white bread and maybe one other? Also a big slab of butter to carve. Helped to soak up the martinis we drank like water.

From that description, I'd say these were definantly the same places! The inside had a sort of "Mill" type decor or feel to it.

Alfie's was actually very delicious! I can just mentally picture the neat little basket of fish & chips now! (forget about the Slimfast right). :blush:

and Steak & Egg was also a very great place to have a nice fresh steaming breakfast and good coffee! We had one for years at intersection of 45 & Telephone Road right next to the huge Coca-Cola neon billboard sign. Was our teen hangout for a good while. It finally closed around earky 80's?

Although Taco Bell is still here, how many remember when the Taco Bell's all had that big FIRE pit flame as you walked in the front? I had to light that blasted thing on ocassion while working there!

In 76 that silly jingle/slogan was "Come to Taco, taco, taco , taco, Taco Bell". :lol:

You know..... One of the people I work with lives in Texas City, and swears theres still an Alfie's out there. Has anyone ever seen or been to an Alfie's in Texas City? If there is, and it's still the same, I'd make the drive out there. At least once, just for old time's sake. B)

Alfie's put Long John Silvers to shame.

Now as for Steak and Egg.... That was the original "greasy spoon"! I used to grumble every time someone suggested going there, and now I miss the place.

I can't remember the fire pit at Taco Bell though. I do remember Taco Bell way before they came out with thier dumb value menu, back when they still had the Bell Beefer, but not the fire pit.

Several from long ago in my childhood when we used to come to Houston to see my grandparents:

-Kapan's on South Main at Kirby (where the Eckerd's is now), our usual Sunday after church lunch place - good steaks and seafood, and those excellent crab ball appetizers that the guy in the white suit used to bring around to all the tables

-Angelo's, another long gone seafood restuarant

-The Strawberry Patch on Westheimer, the Pappas family's country/home cooking concept (Pappas Bros. Steakhouse is there now)

-Tokyo Gardens, the first place I ever had Japanese

Kapan's.....that was the best fried shrimp...kapan's was my husband's aunt's restuarant....Greek ya know!

Does anybody remember the Tiki Room ( I think that was the name) on S. Main just down from Sonny Looks?

No but my father would take me to Sonny looks ...for his afternoon stop before going home...How funny...I have not thought o that place in years...Anyone remember The black angus or the cellar door?

I loved Zappos....you either went to bellaire or St. thomas....I was a St. thomas kid...

I miss The Pot Pie. I used to live next door to it. Very unhealthy food. They served stuff like mac & cheese & ham in big bread bowls. It was super gay, too. I'll never forget a breakfast on New Year's Day when the wait staff was hung over and in the shredded remnants of last night's drag.