groovehouse

From 1969 Cole's Directory:

John's Pancake House

3833 O.S.T.

Houston, Texas 77025

713-747-2136

near int of 6000 Scott St.

Car Dealer Songs:

Da-vis....Chuck Davis.....Chuck Davis Chevrolet, oh yea,...Chuck Davis Chevrolet!

Buy your Chevrolet from Persia, Mike Persia Chevrolet (sung to the beat of indian drums)

This same tune was use for Joe Conte Chevrolet here also, at a later date.

I remember these songs sounding very spooky at night on the AM car radio when the signal would fade in and out. Tommy Vaughn's had an eerie echo too. It could have been all the ear infections I always had...time for a lance!

I don't believe it! You remember things exactly the same way that I do. Yes, that was indeed the tune for Chuck Davis Chevrolet. Is the car lot still there, but under a different name? No, it wasn't any ear infections on your part. I also remember the bass/baritone singing voices for Tommie Vaughn Ford. Yes, it did sound eerie. This was back when I lived in Houston from 1962-64. Tommie Vaughn passed away last year.

Thanks for looking up Uncle John's Pancakes. Now I think that I can safely say that it no longer exists (unless someone else on this forum says that he/she passed down O.S.T. and says that they saw it or remains of it).

Thanks for looking up Uncle John's Pancakes. Now I think that I can safely say that it no longer exists (unless someone else on this forum says that he/she passed down O.S.T. and says that they saw it or remains of it).

I rode over there to check it out for you Ash. Sorry, that address is a vacant lot now.

Apollo, I can't begin to tell you how many times I was in that Arcade at Sharpstown, back in the 70's. I still remember it, it was sooooooo dark and gritty, I LOVED IT !

I have a restaurant for some of you "oldtimers", does anyone recall "The Blue Marlin" out in Humble ?

Me too! I loved playing Cetipede and Galaga! And kitty-corner to the arcade was "Roman Delight Pizza." The guys there would give cat-calls to all us girls going in to work at the Chik-fil-a in our lovely polyester double-knit uniforms. :lol:

Don't remember the Blue Marlin though - Humble might as well have been the other side of the world for me.

Edited by apollopride

Me too! I loved playing Cetipede and Galaga! And kitty-corner to the arcade was "Roman Delight Pizza." The guys there would give cat-calls to all us girls going in to work at the Chik-fil-a in our lovely polyester double-knit uniforms. :lol:

Don't remember the Blue Marlin though - Humble might as well have been the other side of the world for me.

Wasn't the whole arcade/restaurant area called "Goodtime Charley's"? And I think the arcade was originally called "Wrongway Freeway".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I miss the Wine Press on West Gray and almost across the street Captian Johnny's- now the Pier one location.

But does anyone remember a burger place on Richmond or Alabama just west of Montrose that had a drive through window and a very psychedelic in style. Maybe mushroom was in the name?

If you know the name, please post.

Edited by Sheila

I miss the Wine Press on West Gray and almost across the street Captian Johnny's- now the Pier one location.

But does anyone remember a burger place on Richmond or Alabama just west of Montrose that had a drive through window and a very psychedelic in style. Maybe mushroom was in the name?

isn't it still there on mandell and richmond? can't think of name though.

Was this burger place shaped like a big barrel? I seem to remember one like that - don't remember the name. Don't know if it's still there...

Wasn't the whole arcade/restaurant area called "Goodtime Charley's"? And I think the arcade was originally called "Wrongway Freeway".

BINGO !

Was this burger place shaped like a big barrel? I seem to remember one like that - don't remember the name. Don't know if it's still there...

It was still there about a year ago maybe less. I think they are still serving out of that barrel.

The barrel shped place is Lucky Burger and it is still there at Mandell and Alabama. The food is excellent and their veggie burger is fresh grilled vegetables- superb.

The place I remember was just a block or two west of Montrose.

I tried to go to the Dharma Cafe earlier today, but to no avail. The place was dark even though their hours posted on the door stated that they should have been open. It was only 1:00 PM, after all.

Does anybody know whether it'll still be around?

First of all, I would kill for a Valian's pizza, but I think the burger restaurant you are looking for was Rolando's Burger Factory. Every order came with an order of Ranch Style Beans.

I don't know if this is off the point, but does anyone remember a place called "Vahallas" (not sure how to spell it), which was on the Rice U campus?

I remember a trip to Houston in the mid eighties when a friend took me to this place. It had $.25 beer and everyone would sit around the lawn drinking and only God know's what else. Very cool place, especially for a 20 something year old.

If so, does this place still exist?

I don't know if this is off the point, but does anyone remember a place called "Vahallas" (not sure how to spell it), which was on the Rice U campus?

I remember a trip to Houston in the mid eighties when a friend took me to this place. It had $.25 beer and everyone would sit around the lawn drinking and only God know's what else. Very cool place, especially for a 20 something year old.

If so, does this place still exist?

valhalla is still up and running in the southern part of keck hall's basement...

haven't been there ina while, but it is still the cheapest beer in town, i believe

valhalla is still up and running in the southern part of keck hall's basement...

haven't been there ina while, but it is still the cheapest beer in town, i believe

"keck hall's basement"? That must be the same place it was back when as I remember having to walk down a few stairs to get there.

I would love for old time's sake to visit. Can you tell me where Keck hall is?

"keck hall's basement"? That must be the same place it was back when as I remember having to walk down a few stairs to get there.

I would love for old time's sake to visit. Can you tell me where Keck hall is?

if you're on the "loop road" (say you come in the big entrance off of main st.) keck hall will be on your right side (since it is a one-way road) across from the library/quadrangle.

valhalla has the arched wooden doorway...

if you see the student center on your left, you've gone too far.

highlight keck hall (closest parking in the north lot) on the map:

http://www.rice.edu/maps/maps.html

Edited by sevfiv

I remember getting Neal's Ice (don't know correct spelling but as kids my brother, sister and I referred lovingly to it as "neelzice") at the little carts in the Astrodome during games in the early 80's. It came in little paper (Dixie) cups. I think the flavors were lemon/lime, raspberry, and orange? I remember going to the actual store too but have no idea where it was located. Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Steak n Shake was probably the worst hamburger I ever had. Not only was the meat tasteless, all you got was the meat patty and bun. Anything else you wanted you had to pay extra.

Isn't the burger joint that the kids in the movie " Dazed and Confused" are hanging out at a "Steak and Shake", in Austin on Lamar ? :huh:

Edited by TJones

I just was on S. Shepherd last night and happened to pass a Restaurant just north of Westheimer called, Red Lion. It was a smaller house-looking building than their old location but still a good size. The sign had that same lion on it as the sign in the picture above. So I'm thinking it's the same restaurant, reopened in a new location. I didn't get more than a quick glance at it as I was driving and had to pay attention to the road!

the red lion family now operate the mucky duck

panjo's pizza at town and country

howard johnsons...great wednesday nite fish frys..all u can eat..yum

vallian's pizza...in the to go area you could carve stuff on the walls still my favorite pizza and my first

price's hamburgers on bellaire 5cents!! with secret sauce..

cellar door bbq

gaido's

kaphan's

Edited by pachanga

• 2 weeks later...
panjo's pizza at town and country

howard johnsons...great wednesday nite fish frys..all u can eat..yum

vallian's pizza...in the to go area you could carve stuff on the walls still my favorite pizza and my first

price's hamburgers on bellaire 5cents!! with secret sauce..

cellar door bbq

gaido's

kaphan's

I think this was discussed before, but wasnt there a Panjo's on Westhiemer where some strip club no sits. For some reason I remember it being right there.

Anyone remember the Dark Horse Bar. It was on Richmond (now one of the many Sam's bars). My Step father was a small investor and an oft visitor.

I think this was discussed before, but wasnt there a Panjo's on Westhiemer where some strip club no sits. For some reason I remember it being right there.

Anyone remember the Dark Horse Bar. It was on Richmond (now one of the many Sam's bars). My Step father was a small investor and an oft visitor.

yes...i dated a waitress from there (dark horse) briefly...

Not sure if I saw these posted on this thread.....does anyone remember:

Kip's Big Boy on Bellare (now a bank building)

Herfee's (?) hamburgers - all of the locations became Whataburgers. I think these were here in the mid 70's

Yamin's Pizza (from the 70's)

Danver's - great Roast Beef sandwiches and good cookies

Gabby's (still one on Shepherd that I know of)

BTW - Farrell's Ice Cream is still in San Diego...where they are based. They still have that 99 scoop item.

and Last...Hoi Sai Gui...at Post Oak at San Felipe...my first Chinese restraurant experience as a kid

Yamin's Pizza (from the 70's)

Are you referring to the place on Hillcroft beween Richmond and Westpark? If so I was friends with Steve Yamin. His dad owned the joint. I can not remember the ethnicity of the Yamin's. Maybe Middle Eastern of some sort, not that it matters one bit. They lived in Briarmeadow (where I lived) and Mr Yamin had a fire red Ferrarri (just like Magnum PI's). I do not know what his other business interests were but he always seemed sorta weird/shaddy to me. That could have totally been the difference in backgrounds (I am white bread). We used to swim at their pool a lot. Good family from what I remember.

My cousin also worked as a dishwasher / busboy at Yamins and has some stories about the place not being the cleanest place around. Of course he was only 14-15 when he worked there.

I think that location became Chic Topless and then was Rita's Pool Hall. It might still be, don't know.

Edited by Trophy Property

Are you referring to the place on Hillcroft beween Richmond and Westpark? If so I was friends with Steve Yamin. His dad owned the joint. I can not remember the ethnicity of the Yamin's. Maybe Middle Eastern of some sort, not that it matters one bit. They lived in Briarmeadow (where I lived) and Mr Yamin had a fire red Ferrarri (just like Magnum PI's). I do not know what his other business interests were but he always seemed sorta weird/shaddy to me. That could have totally been the difference in backgrounds (I am white bread). We used to swim at their pool a lot. Good family from what I remember.

My cousin also worked as a dishwasher / busboy at Yamins and has some stories about the place not being the cleanest place around. Of course he was only 14-15 when he worked there.

I think that location became Chic Topless and then was Rita's Pool Hall. It might still be, don't know.

The location we frequented was one at the corner of Gessner and SW Freeway....in a shopping center that had a Bert Wheelers and a Pier One at one time. It is all hispanic businesses now. It was popular with Little League pizza parties and maybe with the local hippie/high school hip crowd.

I would not be suprised about the cleanliness of the places. They became "big" for several years, but then the "disco age" came in and their funkiness faded fast.

Anyone recall "Village Inn Pizza" at the corner of Bissonnet and Fondren? ALso another place Little League teams would eat pizza. They had live entertainment and lots of long tables.

The location we frequented was one at the corner of Gessner and SW Freeway....in a shopping center that had a Bert Wheelers and a Pier One at one time. It is all hispanic businesses now. It was popular with Little League pizza parties and maybe with the local hippie/high school hip crowd.

I would not be suprised about the cleanliness of the places. They became "big" for several years, but then the "disco age" came in and their funkiness faded fast.

Anyone recall "Village Inn Pizza" at the corner of Bissonnet and Fondren? ALso another place Little League teams would eat pizza. They had live entertainment and lots of long tables.

I think he might have had more than one location. Who knows??

Thanks Red... you are correct about the name. I did not take the time to look it up and was splelling it phonically (and not doing a great job at that).

I sort of remember Square Pan Pizza. But the best Pizza in Oak Forest (IMO) is Doyles...which is still in operation.

That place was called "Billy Outlaws". I worked there as a kid. They did very well. The owner sold out to the manager who mis-managed the place and it folded later. The original owner opened several Mr Gatti's later...but I believe those folded too. I do remember his daughter, Nadine...very attractive.

Spent many a night in the Chelsa St Pub---remember the One Man Band guy that played there?

It was sorta of a college hangout in the late 80's. I recall Mary Lou Retton coming over for drinks...and this before she was married. She had to sit on pillow in her Corvette to see over the dash. She had already won her Olympic medals.

What was their punch based drink called? They would only allow you 2 instead of their 3 for 1 deals. It was very potent.