Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

Old San Francisco Steakhouse.

Burnt down, What a shame. Totally freaked me out the first time I saw the chick swinging. I was about 8yrs. old ,I was concentrating on my hamburger, and all the sudden my Dad goes look. I turn around and thought someone had thrown her across the room or something. Nearly fell out of chair. :D

Burnt down, What a shame. Totally freaked me out the first time I saw the chick swinging. I was about 8yrs. old ,I was concentrating on my hamburger, and all the sudden my Dad goes look. I turn around and thought someone had thrown her across the room or something. Nearly fell out of chair. :D

I thought the property owner sold their land as part of a parcel to build a Super Target there.

They just closed maybe 6 months ago. I think we ate there in March.

I thought the property owner sold their land as part of a parcel to build a Super Target there.

They just closed maybe 6 months ago. I think we ate there in March.

i drove by just the other day, and there was black soot all over the outside of the windows. Maybe i was seeing things, I'm pretty sure I saw char.

i drove by just the other day, and there was black soot all over the outside of the windows. Maybe i was seeing things, I'm pretty sure I saw char.

hmmm..probably burned after they closed it....when the property was unsecured.

I believe there was a mention in the chronicle when it closed.

• 4 weeks later...

Has Houston ever had:

Carl's Jr?

Del Taco?

White Castle?

I remember a chain of Chicken Restaurants from the South came in to Houston and left a few months later. It was called BoJangles, I never ate there but on there home page they show a map of the US and there is still a dot there for Houston. Did any of you ever eat there?

http://www.bojangles.com/bojangles/home/day.html

I drove down West Gray the other day, very, very slowly, much to the amusement of fellow motorists, looking around a lot. That street has undergone major changes in the 35 years I've been in Houston. I remembered Captain John's, a restaurant on the SW corner of W. Gray and McDuffie. The front of the building was angled to a point, like the bow of a ship; there was a tall slender neon-lighted spire, like the mast of a ship. Didn't look as much like a boat as the Capt. Bennys, tho. It was set up kind of high off the ground as I remember. They served steaks, seafood - wasn't just a seafood restaurant. I only went once or twice but it must've been pretty popular with the River Oaks crowd.

Here is Captain John's:

CapnJohns.jpg

Has Houston ever had:

Carl's Jr?

Del Taco?

White Castle?

I remember a chain of Chicken Restaurants from the South came in to Houston and left a few months later. It was called BoJangles, I never ate there but on there home page they show a map of the US and there is still a dot there for Houston. Did any of you ever eat there?

http://www.bojangles.com/bojangles/home/day.html

We had Del Taco in the mid 80s. Didn't last very long.

Does anyone remember Zappo's in Meyerland? It was a sandwich place in a strip center across the street from the mall that made "Schlotzsky's-type" sandwiches (except that Zappo's was way better.) It closed after the area was re-developed in the early 90s. I also vaguely remember a restaurant called the Rumble Seat that was located in the old Meyerland Plaza mall.

I believe the Steak and Egg building was built into the pawn shop. A couple of months back while it was under construction. I noticed they were building around it and looked like it was going to be enclosed by the new building.

If you really need to see an old Steak and Egg building, there is one on Memorial just past Dairy Ashford heading west, on the left ,next to the flying pizza place. I believe there also one still standing on Beechnut or Bellaire just past Wilcrest on the right as you head west. :D

Who remembers Sambos? I remember they had "Tiger Butter", a whipped butter (with maybe a bit of honey in it) served with every stack of pancakes or waffles.

We use to go to one by NW Mall on Dacoma @ 290.

On my Father's weekends we would go to the Sambo's in Clear Lake on Nasa Rd.1 every sunday. A kid has to have his waffles you know. :D

Nasty!

pastramidog.jpg

When I was a kid we went to Der Wienerschitzel. I made a mess on my shirt when I spilled chili on it. From then on I would get either a kraut dog or a hot dog with only a weiner. I can't stand to eat messy food. That's why I don't like going to Taco Bell. You eat a burrito, and those refried beans sometimes squish out and spill into your lap.

I've always liked the thick plates, platters and cups that restaurants use. I wish that I could find a store that sells them.

There is a new store/warehouse place at the intersection of 18th/TC Jester/Ella - where K-Mart use to be. Some sort of Restaurant supply place.... anyone know anything about this?

I've always liked the thick plates, platters and cups that restaurants use. I wish that I could find a store that sells them.

Ebay...and they even ship it to your front door :)

Edited by gnu

• 1 month later...

Restaurants I miss:

Los Troncos (built in/around a huge tree)

Rice Hotel Coffee Shop and the downstairs cafeteria

Pier 21 near Braeswood and Fannin

The Red Lion on S. Main, north of Braeswood

Kaphan's

The Polyasian on S. Main, south of Braeswood

Alfred's on Stella Link

Trader Vic's on Gessner, near Westheimer

No, but I did see a photograph of the Round-up room. It didn't look like a terribly appetizing place.

Albertnurick, there is a photo of Los Tronco in one of the Fuermann books that I can post if you want. If you look around we have pictures already in the forum of Pier 21, Red Lion, Kaphans, Poly-Asian, and Alfreds.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Rasing Cane's is still open in Houston? I went to the website and they don't have Houston on there.

http://www.raisingcanes.com/main.htm

Drove by it last night on Westheimer. It was open. Don't know how well it is doing though. Do you love chicken fingers that much, that you actually go to their website ? You Sir...........are a Weirdo ! :P:D

Edited by TJones

Drove by it last night on Westheimer. It was open. Don't know how well it is doing though. Do you love chicken fingers that much, that you actually go to their website ? You Sir...........are a Weirdo ! :P:D

No the reason I went to the website is kind of crazy. See I came home late one night and decided to see what was on TV since I was up. I looked at the TV Guide Channel and there this show scrolled up on the PBS channel called "RAISING CAIN," So I thought to my self thats a restuarant in Houston so I turned to the channle to see what it was about, but it wasn't about the restuarant was bout boys growing up from childhood. See here is the link: http://www.pbs.org/parents/raisingboys/

I wonder why they named it that???

Does Rasing Canes mean something?

Anyways thats why I looked it up.

Edited by citykid09

No the reason I went to the website is kind of crazy. See I came home late one night and decided to see what was on TV since I was up. I looked at the TV Guide Channel and there this show scrolled up on the PBS channel called "RAISING CAIN," So I thought to my self thats a restuarant in Houston so I turned to the channle to see what it was about, but it wasn't about the restuarant was bout boys growing up from childhood. See here is the link: http://www.pbs.org/parents/raisingboys/

I wonder why they named it that???

Does Rasing Canes mean something?

Anyways thats why I looked it up.

Generally "Raising Cain" is the same as "Raising Hell" ! I agree, it is a strange name for a restaurant, I'm sure it is a play on words, I just don't know the meaning yet.

Generally "Raising Cain" is the same as "Raising Hell" ! I agree, it is a strange name for a restaurant, I'm sure it is a play on words, I just don't know the meaning yet.

Cain was the first murderer, according to biblical accounts. If you make trouble you are raising the spirit of Cain.

I remember 3 great seafood restaurants; TWO you have probably heard of but never visited and ONE that I bet not one person on the board ever heard of:

1. Jimmy Walkers (now Landry's in Kemah) 2. The San Jacinto Inn (near the Battleship Texas) 3. Tomek's (if you remember, you tell me).

Edited by riverrat