HAIF - Houston's original social media

Defunct Houston Restaurants

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even though it's only been gone a short time, I miss the original Antone's on Taft. The chain Antone's pale in comparison to the original locations. I don't even know how many 'original' stores exist.

Attached are photos when my brother visited some years ago I think in 2007 and him with my father in front of Cardet's Cafe in the 70's.

Several from long ago in my childhood when we used to come to Houston to see my grandparents: -Kapan's on South Main at Kirby (where the Eckerd's is now), our usual Sunday after church lunch place -

Posted Images

17 hours ago, rcseptemple@gmail. said:

Any memories of Bill Miller Steakhouse on OST?

That would be something interesting to learn about. Your wrote "OST" so I take it you are not confusing the restaurant with Bill Williams that was on Main Street. There is a Bill Miller's chain of bar-b-que restaurants in and around San Antonio. I believe the closest one to Houston is in Seguin at Interstate 10 and Texas 46.

On 8/16/2020 at 9:58 PM, FilioScotia said:

**** There was a steakhouse/bar-b-que place on Stella Link right before Bellaire Blvd ****

You may be thinking of the Cellar Door. 

Yep, that was the Cellar Door.....

• 4 weeks later...

Fond memories of  Bavarian Garden, Rosnovsky’s, Mexico City, Alfred’s Deli, Chuckwagon, Sonny Look’s (my first baked potato!), Hillman’s, Dobb’s House, even Monterey House. Original James, Last Concert, Antone’s. Drawing some blanks on my trip down memory lane: all from early 1970s: BBQ joint on Telephone near Hobby; speciality was chopped BBQ brisket baked inside a loaf of bread. Burger joint on Cullen in a new strip mall across Cullen from the main entrance to UH and the student center; had pitchers of beer and local bands on weekends. Burger joint on Washington near downtown in an old schoolhouse (Abbott’s?). Tex-Mex place (Las Cazuelas?) on Quitman near North Main, second floor (recollect a store below); was my place for nachos and beer. 

You mention two of my all-time favorite eateries. I remember that BBQ place on Telephone near Hobby Airport, especially that incredible chopped beef stuffed into half an unsliced loaf of bread. That was a serious meal. Laz Cazuelas on Quitman was another favorite. My wife and I would drop in there for very late night beer and tacos. Most of its clientele were Hispanics, which is a sure sign that the food is gonna be good. 

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone remember a 1960's  big private home that was converted into a restaurant, that had a big back yard with Peacocks? Famous for fried chicken family style Sunday brunch. Seems it was in SouthEast Houston, near a bayou. Older mini-mansions.  JESS@FriendsTravel.com if you remember 

• 4 weeks later...

Just this week I was trying to remember a fancy restaurant my parents took me to in the 70's. I was born in '64. It was out of our league, but so exciting. What I recall is elephants, and maybe other African animals, and a spacious stand-alone place (not Harry's Kenya in the base of a downtown building, nor a strip mall) that was maybe east of Spring Branch. The interior was cream and gold. That's pretty much all I have. Does anyone's memory fit that description? African, or Middle-Eastern, or possibly Asian. I was not accustomed to any of those cultures and I just loved the experience. Thanks in advance!

22 hours ago, celestedawn said:

Just this week I was trying to remember a fancy restaurant my parents took me to in the 70's. I was born in '64. It was out of our league, but so exciting. What I recall is elephants, and maybe other African animals, and a spacious stand-alone place (not Harry's Kenya in the base of a downtown building, nor a strip mall) that was maybe east of Spring Branch. The interior was cream and gold. That's pretty much all I have. Does anyone's memory fit that description? African, or Middle-Eastern, or possibly Asian. I was not accustomed to any of those cultures and I just loved the experience. Thanks in advance!

I seem to recall an African-themed restaurant (or possibly bar) on the northeast corner of 610 and Richmond in the late 60s/early 70s. I want to say it was called Safari, but searching for that name proved fruitless as it only turned up much newer establishments with that name.