Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

I'll have to try the new one at lunch tomorrow.

True to my word, I went to the new Original Marini's on Westheimer today. The empanadas are good -- not as good as the ones I remember from the original original, but better than any I've had since. The place is nice and seemed to draw a decent number of people. Hopefully this one will last longer than the 90s incarnation. The serve yerba mate if you're into exotic xanthine mixtures.

The menu is almost identical to that 90s version, with one spectacular addition: chocolate empanadas. The menu says it's filled with "Warm Ghirrardelli chocolate", but it seems like it may be cut with something. Straight chocolate would have been more overpowering, I think. This was smooth, creamy and almost light. Whatever it is, it provided one of the greatest experiences of my life. I'll be back for more.

Then only slightly odd part was a single raisin swimming in the warm chocolate. My lunch mate said that would have greatly disturbed him, but it takes a lot more than a raisin (gosh, I hope it was a raisin) to scare me off of a steaming pocket of warm, chocolatey goodness.

• 3 weeks later...
I also remember Alfie's Fish & Chips, & H. Salt Fish & Chips. ALSO Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips. Fish & Chips just seemed to be all the rage in the 70s, they came in to Houston in force and then most of them went out of business pretty quickly. The Alfie's on Fondren between SW Frwy & Bellaire lasted the longest to my knowledge. I think it lasted into the 90s.

Anyone remember Zuider Zee? It was also a fried seafood type of place but it was more of a sit-down-and-order restaurant. Not sure where it was exactly but my faded memory suggests somewhere on 59 near Sharpstown.

Yes! I loved Zider Zee. It later became the First Wendy's in Houston.

I lived in Sharpstown so I remember BURGER row, in this order:

Herfy's

Burger King

McDonalds

Wendys

Jack in the Box

Then there was also the Ground Patti. It was a block off fondren facing the Sharpstown Mall. I remember they had a really kewl sound set up with dual reel to reels behind glass.

And we had a Shakey's over on Hillcroft which later became Anotonio's Flying Pizza. There was a Shakey's in Stafford, TX that became Golden Bridge Restaurant.

The original Los Tios is gone. It was over on Bissonnet and Fondren.

They are no longer owned by the Garbett's. I grew up with Michael Garbett.

I remember there was a good Mexican restaurant over near the old chili's on Bissonnet across the street from the old TGI Friday's.

But I cant remember the name.

Also, does anyone remember New York New York Pizza over on Gessner and Westpark?

Anyone remember how Westpark was rerouted there?

And lets see, what else... man I could go on all day...

There was a Mr Gatti's on Bellaire and Corporate, down close to the Del Taco, near the Lewis and Coker grocery store next to the Cafeteria, but I dont think it was a Wyatt's. OH! It was a Furr's Cafeteria, HAH!

Okay, lemme keep going... Remember a Tony Roma's on Richmond? Remember Circus Circus on Richmond? THey had great burgers. AH, here is a GOOD one... the NIGHT HAWK on Westheimer, down near Fondren. All the truckers used to go there.

House of Pancakes on the corner of Bellaire and Fondren behind the old Safeway.

Wan Fu chinese restaurant NEXT TO the old Safeway (and the old Demeris BBQ).

Does anyone remember that big cafetieria type restaurant NEXT TO Farrel's in the Galleria? I think it was called the Cooquery or the Cookery.

YES I remember the old A&W by the way, and the Princess on Hillcroft. But do you remember the original Long John Silver's on Hillcroft? THey used to give kids the pirate hats and chocolate dubloon candies.

Remember the Monterrey House on Fondren near Richmond? It is a Fajita Flats now.

Remember when the Shartpstown Mall was 1 story and there were nice restaurants in it and that huge glockenspiel?

Remember when Westwood Mall had a theater in it?

Remember when Memorial City was an OUTSIDE mall like Meyerland?

Remember when your mom took you to the original Sears downtown and you got a free cookie at the deli counter?

Then there are a couple places in the Heights my parents used to take me, but I was too young to read or remember the names of them. I just remember that back then, restaurants didnt have booster chairs so they just used to ask how many phone books I needed to sit on.

Now I have regressed back to about 4 years old... Thanks a lot guys!!!

The one I remember was by Lee High School. They had great shakes and a great frito pie. My brother and sister and I would argue over who got to place the order on the phone.

Yes there was one there, then it reopened way in the back right side of the store on the east side of FOndren and 59. In other cities, they had the same concept but they were called Around the Corner, or Next Door. I used to order the Hickory Burger.

Speaking of that, remember when you could actually get Frito Pie served in a bag of Frito's at Chilis? Back when CHili's actually servied Chili, and the menu was 1 page? The original on Richmond is LONG GONE.

Anyone remember any good bars like Cooters or the Fuelin Station?

Anyone remember any good bars like Cooters or the Fuelin Station?

Cooter's was very popular and big. If memory serves well (or not) it was 2 stories high with a big elevated dance floor and several wide video screens so you could see latest MTV vids as you danced. Cant recall where it was but I know for sure there was a simlar new club on Westpark and Fondren? In fact one night Pee Wee Herman (literally unknown then) appeared/did in his act (clothed) :blush: Cant recall name of that club but its now a Mex Furniture dive. I think the club you mentioned above was called The Filling Station?

These NeW WAVE or alternative dance clubs kept popping up everywhere it seemed probably as a result of the trendy MTV/punk/new wave scene and popularity of films like Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Valley Girl, Repo Man and groups like The Go-Go's, etc.

The Ocean Club was briefly discussed in another topic. Was on St. James street.

At the time I thought it was for a more upscale/stuffy crowd but it loosened up to live shows like "Dead or Alive". Now that was shocking! I really miss the new wave scene. Fun carefree days (no more purple mohawks) darn. Totally awesome, I am so sure!

Edited by Vertigo58

Confetti's was the other dance club that just came to mind!

Very state of the art sound system and video screens. Used to advertise "drink and drown nights" and "Beach party Blow-out" bashes. Bet M.A.D. would love to see that now. Thats probably why that type of advertising was canned. Law suits, accidents, etc. :mellow:

Ha. This is the short version of my early-mid 20s:

"3 for 1"

"free dinner buffet"

"Ladies drink free!"

ah, good times.

Here were more often seen advertisments and radio slogan's to promote partying at clubs like Yucatan Liquor Stand, etc.

"All you can drink"

"Wet T-Shirt Night"

"Mud Wrestling Night"

"Tequila shots Night" (scary)

Yucatan had a large old school bus that would pick up lucky :blush: winners and go riding around Houston while they served drinks on board and broadcast over the radio of the bus's progress to the club. Once you got there (club) with all the onlookers watching everyone popped out of the bus and into the beach area. (A pretend sand field area with volleyball net etc.) Girls in bikini's, etc. Many times Hawaiian Tropic girls were on hand and I still recall that stupid Spuds Mckenzie Glow in the dark dog on the bar counter.

All of this insanity took place on the new "Richmond Strip". Good Lord how did we live to tell about this mad era? :wacko:

At least I can say we did it! Yippee!

Edited by Vertigo58

The Yucatan was entirely too skanky for me. :P Although I did see a great, free Smithereens show in the parking lot.

After the 2- and 3-fers were outlawed, I spent the first half of the 90s on a barstool at the Richmond Arms. Loved those expat boys. I miss those days. Talk about crazy sports--they used to open at the crack of dawn for satellite feeds of FA cup games. Nothing quite like a bar packed to the rafters at 9 on a Saturday morning. And they weren't drinking coffee, either.... Sociologists and Starbucks call it 'the third place;' I just call it a great local bar where you know everyone.

The Yucatan was entirely too skanky for me. :P Although I did see a great, free Smithereens show in the parking lot.

Your right Crunch, Yucatan was "Girl's Gone Wild" way before the stupid show.

Sam's Boat was where most flocked to afterwards. That place never made any sense, all everyone did was guzzle beer and gawk at everyone walking up that plank. It was too preppy, way too preppy. Most of the guys thought they were in a "Porky's" film.

Now I'm thinking of those stupid "Weekend at Bernies" films. :wacko:

Did anyone mention San Jacinto Inn at the Battlegrounds? Loved going there as a kid, even though I wasn't much of a seafood eater then. Driving there made for a great family outing on a weekend afternoon. They had a huge dining room up on the second floor, and meals were served family style by waiters in white coats. They had a "winter dinner" and a "summer dinner"- main difference was crabs in the summer, oysters in the winter. I think the building's still there, wonder if one day it might be reopened?

Now I've eaten at the Monument Inn...I take it this is not the same place?

After browsing this topic, I can tell you that both the Kettle & Godfathers Pizza exist up by Bush Airport. Also, someone asked if Tookie's is still around. Yes they are! Sambo's used to be nationwide, but morphed into what is now Denny's. And yes, as has been mentioned, Mr. Gatti's has an open location in Clear Lake.

I grew up near Hillcroft and Main Street.....

I remember an ice cream place on Hillcroft before you got to Braeswood on the corner in the same parking lot Rice used to be in...before that right past St. Thomas More Church, there was a place called Jacks Yogurt Stop that was the first place I ever tried Frozen Yogurt that was right before the Frozen Yogurt craze of the 90s...

at Hillcroft and 90....Pizza Inn used to be pretty successful and it was next to Burger King, Ron's Chicken and a Frenchy's that was just as good as the original....across the street was a BBQ stand in a red building that was pretty good too next to the diving school

What I want to know, off of Chimney Rock and Airport (current used car lot) /Hiram Clarke and West Fuqua are old buildings that resemble a chinese temple...I vaguely remember going in there as a kid but where they chinese restaurants?

some of the best sno-cones ever were off of West Fuqua and Hiram Clarke in a white stand

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember Jack's Hamburger's on Bissonnet near Rampart.It is now a Taqueria.They closed in the early 80's maybe 82 or 83.They had the flame broiled burgers and also this fried chicken-breast sandwich that was the best. .Also no one has mentioned the Italian Sandwich Shop that was located on Chimney Rock between Evergreen and Bissonnet.

Edited by toddalan

Finally. someone else who remembers Capri! I've asked other places, but it seems to have had a limited reputation.

I also don't remember exactly where it was, but I have a vague recollection of it being about where Amy's ice cream is (was? I haven't been down there in ages). We used to get it for late-night dinners at Astroworld cash control, and it was the first non-chain pizza I'd ever had - as you said, very tasty, great cheese.

I hope someone comes up with the exact location and/or knows of anything in a similar style.

Edited by acamarillo

Does anyone remember the two restaurants (see topic description above)? Also, now that I think about it, the Safari @ Richmond and Loop 610 is another...

Pier 21 was on Fannin, just down from the bayou (I think), and The Polynesian was on the northeast corner of Sage and Westheimer... and Wyatt's Cafeteria in Highland Village... and the drive-in (like a Sonic) that was just across the tracks from Highland Village, the north side of Westheimer (west side of tracks) that had orange striped awnings? (I'll be surprised if anyone remembers this one).

Folks, one of the reasons I'm interested is that sometimes I feel that there are very few Native Houstonians left. When I went to the Will Rogers Elementary reunion in March 2006, I knew not one person, although I went there for six years (1962-1968).

Thanks for responding to the restaurant question above. It's really great interfacing with people on sites like this.

All,

Although I haven't lived in Houston in over 10 years, here is what I recall (after removing some duplicates made by others in earlier posts):

• Jenny's Hideaway on W. Alabama (popular spot to recover the day after the night before . . . )
  • Dalt's (located WAY down Westheimer, art deco/stainless steel style cafe)
  • Balaika's (Houston's only Russian restuarant in the '80s. The head waiter was Igor, with a great, twisted sense of humor.)
  • Dentler's (located near the Medical Center. Closed sometime in the late 60's - may be related to the potato chip manufacturer)
  • Butera's (all deli locations and the store - I used to work at the store during my high school/college years)
  • Zimm's Wine Bar on Montrose (original location had stained paneling everyway - great atmosphere!)
  • Old Chicago Pizza Corp. (down the street from what is now the Demenille Gallery)
  • Westcott's Drive In (great burgers!)
  • Roznosky's on Fagan (I still have a series of coupons for free burgers that I won - from 1979!)
  • Casablana's Moroccan Restuarant (belly dancing and no flatware - ah, the memories . . . )
  • One's A Meal in West Gray (great all-night eating. The "fresh fruit in season" was ALWAYS bananas!)
  • The Ale House (I put many a wait-staff through college here . . .)

If any of you had parents that worked in the hospitals in the Medical Center during the 60's and 70's, do you remember:

• The Faculty Club (located in the old Fannin Bank building (I think). I remember my folks taking my brother and sisters to the "shrimp peel nights" there.
  • The Doctor's Club (closed in the mid-late '90s according to my father. The memberships were then transfered to The Petroleum Club. My father took one look at the membership fees and said something very unprintable. Scratch one membership . . .

In regards to an earlier post on Ethel's Southern Cafe, this was literally around the corner from my parent's house. Before it came into existence, it was a mechanic's garage. After it went under, it re-opened as a greek restuarant. After that folded, the property owners thought a parking lot was more suitable for that location.

All that brings to mind another place that is currently in the news - the apartments on Bissonnet and Ashby. Back in the '60s there was a place called KG Drugs that had a fountain and grill inside. When that closed, a Jones Apothecary opened up, but minus the grill. That closed (along with the other businesses along the strip there - a barbershop is all I recall), and the site was redeveloped as the apartments that are there now. Before "progress" razes it to the ground, be aware that above the front entryway nearest the Ashby/Bissonnett corner, under the stucco, is the ORIGINAL name of the building (either cast or carved) when it was first built. I noticed this when they where redeveloping the property back in the '80s. For all I know, the actual building may date back to the '20s or '30s.

Regards,

Old Guard Guy

We have been dying to find out what ever happened to that pistol-packing shrimp! :lol:

There was a similar looking (perhaps the same?) shrimp located along 90A along the Brazos River in Richmond at a seafood restaurant there. The restaurant itself has been closed for a while I think and the shrimp may have been removed at around the same time a few years ago. I'll keep an eye out anyway.

All,

Although I haven't lived in Houston in over 10 years, here is what I recall (after removing some duplicates made by others in earlier posts):

• Jenny's Hideaway on W. Alabama (popular spot to recover the day after the night before . . . )
  • Balaika's (Houston's only Russian restuarant in the '80s. The head waiter was Igor, with a great, twisted sense of humor.)
  • Dentler's (located near the Medical Center. Closed sometime in the late 60's - may be related to the potato chip manufacturer)
  • Butera's (all deli locations and the store - I used to work at the store during my high school/college years)
  • Zimm's Wine Bar on Montrose (original location had stained paneling everyway - great atmosphere!)
  • Old Chicago Pizza Corp. (down the street from what is now the Demenille Gallery)
  • Roznosky's on Fagan (I still have a series of coupons for free burgers that I won - from 1979!)
  • Casablana's Moroccan Restuarant (belly dancing and no flatware - ah, the memories . . . )
  • One's A Meal in West Gray (great all-night eating. The "fresh fruit in season" was ALWAYS bananas!)

If any of you had parents that worked in the hospitals in the Medical Center during the 60's and 70's, do you remember:

• The Faculty Club (located in the old Fannin Bank building (I think). I remember my folks taking my brother and sisters to the "shrimp peel nights" there.
  • The Doctor's Club (closed in the mid-late '90s according to my father. The memberships were then transfered to The Petroleum Club. My father took one look at the membership fees and said something very unprintable. Scratch one membership . . .

Regards,

Old Guard Guy

Was Balaika the Russian place that was on Highway 6 not far from Memorial? The one with the bad food and service?

And was Casablanca the middle-eastern restaurant downtown on (I think) Market Square? The belly-dancing and no flatware rings a bell. They had a "fountain" by the entrance inside that was basically a hose pouring into a bucket.

Butera's I loved. Once I had a bet with a friend to see who would be the first to have one of every single brand of imported beer that Butera's sold. I won! :D

All,

In regards to an earlier post on Ethel's Southern Cafe, this was literally around the corner from my parent's house. Before it came into existence, it was a mechanic's garage. After it went under, it re-opened as a greek restuarant. After that folded, the property owners thought a parking lot was more suitable for that location.

All that brings to mind another place that is currently in the news - the apartments on Bissonnet and Ashby. Back in the '60s there was a place called KG Drugs that had a fountain and grill inside. When that closed, a Jones Apothecary opened up, but minus the grill. That closed (along with the other businesses along the strip there - a barbershop is all I recall), and the site was redeveloped as the apartments that are there now. Before "progress" razes it to the ground, be aware that above the front entryway nearest the Ashby/Bissonnett corner, under the stucco, is the ORIGINAL name of the building (either cast or carved) when it was first built. I noticed this when they where redeveloping the property back in the '80s. For all I know, the actual building may date back to the '20s or '30s.

Regards,

Old Guard Guy

I have been trying for a long time to remember the name of the Russian restaurant in an old brick mansion at the corner of Yoakum and Richmond - was that Balaika's? This would have been pre-1978, I think. My first experience of Veal Orloff, butter squirting out of Chicken Kiev, Stoli dispensed tableside from a bottle encased in a block of ice.... A very memorable restaurant.

Butera's - originally a grocery store on Bissonnet, then the deli on Montrose just above the Glassell School of Art, right across from the Plaza. A great place.

Zimm's - still there I think. Earlier that had been a Steak 'n Egg.

There have been several discussions of George Dentler's Pier 21; it was still open in the early 70s because I went there a couple of times and I didn't get here until 1970.

Old Chicago Pizza - now Cafe Artiste?

I heard a lot about the original Rosnovsky's but never could get away from work long enough to go. Wasn't it in an old church or school gymnasium or something?

Dalt's - by way down Westheimer do you mean lower Westheimer? That one stumps me.

Was Balaika the Russian place that was on Highway 6 not far from Memorial? The one with the bad food and service?

And was Casablanca the middle-eastern restaurant downtown on (I think) Market Square? The belly-dancing and no flatware rings a bell. They had a "fountain" by the entrance inside that was basically a hose pouring into a bucket.

Butera's I loved. Once I had a bet with a friend to see who would be the first to have one of every single brand of imported beer that Butera's sold. I won! :D

I remember the location being around Hwy 6, but the service and food was always excellent when I went. Off night, new staff?

As for Casablanca's, I do remember a fountain and the tent-like atmosphere, with persian rugs everywhere. The turkish coffee was always the highlight of my meal - on a dare one time, a friend of mine bet me that I wouldn't eat the grounds at the bottom of the cup. I did (winning the bet) and was quite surprised that not only did I like it, but that the consistancy was like pudding (I was a coffeeholic LOOOONG before Starbuck's was even an brief glimmer of an idea - I wan't called "Java Man" for nothing.)

Butera's - I fondley remember one Christmas party we had at the then "new" location on Montrose. This was after the Museum of Art purchased the original Deli location [formerly Jett's Grocery, a very small grocery store that also served as a front for a bookie operation - I'm not making this up]. Anyway, the party was in full swing, but the libations disappeared too quickly. What to do? With the one of the largest selections of imported beers in Houston within a mere 2 feet of the "off limits" sign, the answer was obvious.

I have been trying for a long time to remember the name of the Russian restaurant in an old brick mansion at the corner of Yoakum and Richmond - was that Balaika's? This would have been pre-1978, I think. My first experience of Veal Orloff, butter squirting out of Chicken Kiev, Stoli dispensed tableside from a bottle encased in a block of ice.... A very memorable restaurant.

Butera's - originally a grocery store on Bissonnet, then the deli on Montrose just above the Glassell School of Art, right across from the Plaza. A great place.

Zimm's - still there I think. Earlier that had been a Steak 'n Egg.

There have been several discussions of George Dentler's Pier 21; it was still open in the early 70s because I went there a couple of times and I didn't get here until 1970.

Old Chicago Pizza - now Cafe Artiste?

I heard a lot about the original Rosnovsky's but never could get away from work long enough to go. Wasn't it in an old church or school gymnasium or something?

Dalt's - by way down Westheimer do you mean lower Westheimer? That one stumps me.

I've forgotten about the Russian restuarant on Richmond and Yoakum! Unfortunately, I forgot the name along with it - though "Rasputian's" lingers in my mind.

Butera's was a great place - especially the Butera family. I am saddened that nothing remains of Mr. Johnny's legacy.

The location that Zimm's is at now isn't the one they had in the '80s. Same strip, but they had the east corner location. I don't recall the food, but it was one of the few establishments that served Belhaven Scottish Ale (resulting in more lost brain cells and GPA points).

Old Chicago Pizza - as I recall the location became Cafe Artiste - I took my wife there on a visit about 5-6 years ago.

The old Roznosky's was an old school house - I think. I was shocked to find that they moved when I tried to show my wife the old location on a visit a few months ago - now its blocks of "luxury" apartments.

As for Dalt's, it was out past Hwy 6. It didn't last too long, but I remember some sort of cinnimon bun desert that was fantastic (and I usually don't like sweets).

Zimm's - still there I think. Earlier that had been a Steak 'n Egg

Butera's was a great place - especially the Butera family. I am saddened that nothing remains of Mr. Johnny's legacy.

Zimm's on Montrose near Richmond - wine bar now? (but still owned by Mr. Zimmerman)

I used to live across the street from one of Butera's sons - he had opened an Italian restaurant on Bellaire Blvd. called Angelina's (?) after his daughter, I believe (it's now Nick's Pasta Place). I think when he sold it he moved out of the Houston area.

I've forgotten about the Russian restuarant on Richmond and Yoakum! Unfortunately, I forgot the name along with it - though "Rasputian's" lingers in my mind.

The location that Zimm's is at now isn't the one they had in the '80s. Same strip, but they had the east corner location. I don't recall the food, but it was one of the few establishments that served Belhaven Scottish Ale (resulting in more lost brain cells and GPA points).

Sorry but Rasputin's doesn't ring a bell with me.

Butera's had the best pasta salads ever and a navy bean soup that was good enough to provoke a spiritual awakening - soul-satisfyingly good. I wish I had some of their recipes. Do you know if any were ever published?

I guess I never went to Zimm's in the original location.

Zimm's on Montrose near Richmond - wine bar now? (but still owned by Mr. Zimmerman)

I used to live across the street from one of Butera's sons - he had opened an Italian restaurant on Bellaire Blvd. called Angelina's (?) after his daughter, I believe (it's now Nick's Pasta Place). I think when he sold it he moved out of the Houston area.

I see Nick's every time I go to WF across Bellaire. I was thinking it was some other restaurant before it became Nick's but even before that it was a Volvo dealership.

Sorry but Rasputin's doesn't ring a bell with me.

Butera's had the best pasta salads ever and a navy bean soup that was good enough to provoke a spiritual awakening - soul-satisfyingly good. I wish I had some of their recipes. Do you know if any were ever published?

I guess I never went to Zimm's in the original location.

Try going to Paulie's - the owner use to be the head chef for Butera's, as well as creating almost all of their best receipes.

Over the years many many restaurants have come and gone in out fair city. Houston is known as "The Restaurant Capital of The World". Houston has more restaurants per capita than any other U.S. city. I started this Thread to let people list their all-time favorites, of the ones they miss the most. Does anyone remember The Rail Head and Victoria Station from back in the 70's? These were Rail Road themed restaurants, that's were really popular in the 70's and 80's. As a kid it was wonderful. At the Rail Head, they actually had a stage for music acts, surrounded by open rail cars with dining booths and tables. I used to frequent it alot when The Elliot Walter Band used to play there. My mother is really good friends with them. If you never heard of The Elliot Walter band, you have probably heard a song of their's though, it's called "Slime in the Ice Machine". Marvin Zindler's theme song. :lol:

I do remember both of these, right by Windsor Plaza, at Richmond and 610. Thanks for jogging my memory.

I've been looking at this post for a while so if I repeat any places forgive this neophyte, this is my first reply...Here goes

Hebert's Ritz,

LC Cafeterias

Foote's cafeterias

Allbritton's cafeterias

Jetton's cafeteria

Weldon's cafeteria

Mr. Hamburger (many locations)

Griff's hamburgers (in Bellaire)

PRICE'S not Doug Prince's( OST also Holcombe and Stella link)

Art Wren's

Bill bennett's

Trader Vics

Don the Beachcomber

Victoria Station

The Foundry

Velvet turtle

Red Lion

Ten Fathoms( near original Massa'S)

Captain John's

Green Parrott( in MacGregor area)

Ming Palace( next to River Oaks theatre)

Ding How (in Bellaire)

Lee's Den( OST and Main)

Kapan's ( next to Kiddie WonderLand)

Pier 21

Jamey's hamburgers( East side corner of Main and N.Breaswood)

Howard Johnson's( Near RRTracks on Bellaire, now Moeller's Bakery)

Burger Chef

Weber's Root beer Stand on Main

Sullivan's drive Inn in Bellaire

Someburger

Kelley's seafood on Main

Zorba the Greek

Molina's Old Mexico ( Main and Alabama)

Mexico City (on Grey)

Linoleum Club( upstairs at james Coney Island on Walker)

Lums

Safari( 610 and Richmond)

Harry's kenya

Christies on Main and Holcombe

Kips (especially after a hard night gigging and foolin around)

Alfreds ( in the Village and later on Stella Link)

Monterrey Houses

Vallains

Bill Williams

Ye Old College Inn

Youngbloods Chicken( many locations)

Panjos Pizza

Can't jog the old memory much more