Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

I remember going to a reataurant in the early 70's in Montrose somewhere east of Anderson Street Fair called "Ebenezer's". No one else I know remembers it but I remember eating there a lot. It was in the upstairs part of an old house on a corner and had a 40's theme.. The music was usually poor old dead Judy Garland and items on the menu had clever names like "Marilyn Monroe Cheese plate" . Does anyone else remember it?

I remember going to a reataurant in the early 70's in Montrose somewhere east of Anderson Street Fair called "Ebenezer's". No one else I know remembers it but I remember eating there a lot. It was in the upstairs part of an old house on a corner and had a 40's theme.. The music was usually poor old dead Judy Garland and items on the menu had clever names like "Marilyn Monroe Cheese plate" . Does anyone else remember it?

Maybe Miss Charlotte's was the wrong name. Ebenezer's rings a bell. The menu and upstairs part seem right. I'm sure it was on Converse.

I also remember the pagan church but it wasn't the place I backed in to or the postman's house with the damnit dolls nailed to the side. The damnit doll house could have been the parsonage, I guess. The two houses looked similar except it seems like the damnit doll house had only one floor.

Hi,

I just saw your post from over a year ago regarding Windswept Inn.... I remember that restaurant like it was yesterday... I grew up in Houston and we went there regularly back in the 70's... There was a skating rink next door to it.... ANy how, I believe that was Airline Drive that it was on....

That is where I first had Red Plum Jelly for the rolls... Do you remember them serving it in a little bowl with a spoon?

Do you remember the jukebox up against the wall by the front door?

The fried chicken had such a thick cruncghy batter on it.... and there was always more food to eat then people to eat it.... it was the BEST!!!! Oh the good ol days!!!!!!LOL

:D

Shuckers is still open in the Galleria.

Does anyone recall the Windswept Inn? It was a home cooking/family style restaurant on a side street off of 45 North, south of BW 8 area. I remember going there as a kid in the mid 70's with my grandparents. They would bring huge (huge to a 5 year old) bowls of mashed potatoes, greens, beans, and platters of fried chicken and chicken fried steaks.

Hi,

I just saw your post from over a year ago regarding Windswept Inn.... I remember that restaurant like it was yesterday... I grew up in Houston and we went there regularly back in the 70's... There was a skating rink next door to it.... ANy how, I believe that was Airline Drive that it was on....

The Windswept Inn, formerly located at 10719 Airline (next to the Airline Skating Rink) opened in 1963. It originally was in the 13000 block of U.S. 75 (today's North Freeway) somewhere between Greens and Rankin Roads. Because of the dates involved, it would appear that it moved to Airline because of construction of the North Freeway. The restaurant closed sometime in the late 1990s and today the site is occupied by Tacos del Julio.

I grew up in the area, yet oddly enough, never went there. Guess I missed my chance.

Shakey's Pizza at 6340 Westheimer, The Pot Pie Pizzeria at 1525 Westheimer, Vallone's at 2811 Kirby, The Pacesetter in the Galleria (where Bennigans is now), El Chico at 7707 South Main, Romano's cafeteria at 1725 Post Oak Blvd (It's now a Luby's), Spanky's Pizza in Astroworld, Shamrock Hilton (6900 South Main), Showbiz pizza Place at 5535 Weslayan, Sizzler 3909 Spencer Hwy and I could go on and on!

Does anybody around here remember Las Casuelas? The greatest Mexican food restaurant in Houston history? In a big old house at the corner of Fulton and Quitman out in the barrio on the near north side? I think it was even better than the original Ninfa's on Navigation.

I have been trying to think of the name and location of this one for years. Seemed to be the center of Mexican culture in houston, especially late at night.

Another one I cant remember the name of was a place on Canal that served the best black bean refritos with huevos rancheros.

Here is my working list of restaurants and clubs:

Famous Chicken House - Telephone Road

Old Munich Inn - Telephone Road

Old Hickory Stick - Telephone Road

Old Mexico - Gray

Foote's Cafeteria - in Bellaire

Galli Spaghetti House - Telephone Road

Mr. Sirloin - Telephone at 610

Liberty Hall - Red Beans and Rice

Valian's - both the restaurant on Main and the pizza place on Shepherd

Big Humprey's Pizza - Belfort

Italian Beef House - Telephone under the Coca Cola sign

Samperi's - Telephone Road

Ray Hay's Broiler Burger - Telephone at Dumble

Leo's Mexican - 2203 S. Shepherd

The Whistle Stop Bar-b-que - Old Galveston Road

The Cellar Door Bar-b-que - two locations

Cardet's Cafe (Cuban) - 1927 Fairview

The Hoagie Shop - 3507 S. Shepherd

Zorba's - 202 Tuam

Alfred's - On Rice and Stella Link

Marini's Empanda House - Westheimer

Swiss Haus - In the Village

The Village Cheese Shop - In the Village

Captain Benny's - in the boat at Greenbriar and Main

Sonny Look's - on Main

The Hobbit Hole - 1715 S. Shepherd

St. Michel - 2150 Richmond

Prufrock's Tavern - 423 Westheimer

Joseph's Wine Shop - 1408 Westheimer

The Chicago Pizza Company - 4100 Mandell

Chaucer's - 5020 Montrose

Cody's (really a jazz club) - 3400 Montrose

Mrs. Me's Cafe - Dunlavy at Indiana

La Bodega - 2402 Mandell

Weinerschnitzel - Westheimer at Commonwealth

Spud-U-Like - 416 Westheimer

Butera's - 5019 Montrose and the Grocery Store on Bissonet

Matt Garner's Bar-b-que - Gray (Good as it ever was)

Las Brisas - 614 W. Gray

Captain John's - W. Gray at Woodhead

Gantry's - 1658 Westheimer (now Marks)

The Wine Press - W. Gray

Renu's - 1230 Westheimer

Mana Eleni - 1115 Missouri

U.S. Bar & Grill - 1220 Taft

Quasimodo's Sanctuary - 1985 Welch (now Mockingbird)

Metropol - 1007 Waugh

Missouri Street Cafe - 1117 Missouri

River Cafe - 3615 Montrose

Albritton's Cafeteria - Waugh

Glatzmaier's - Old Market Square

Landry's Seafood - 2912 S. Shepherd

The Stables - S. Main at Greenbriar

Edited by isuredid

Thanks for your response about Night Hawk.

I think you're right - it may have been at the Atchafalaya/Landry's location on Westheimer.

I believe that The Frisco Shop in Austin is closing soon, too. I remember somebody mentioning that to me the last time I ate there a few months ago. Really a shame.

the frisco is still open in austin....

Edited by pachanga

First up, I am new and just found this forum yesterday...what an awesome forum!!! Bringing back a lot of memories. I am thoroughly diggin' it!

Here's my list of defunct Houston restaurants that I liked:

1. Panjo's Pizza (surprised no one has mentioned this place as it was a small chain at the time) -- Next to Valian's this was my favorite pizza in Houston. I used to frequent the one on 1960 next to the old Champions theater. Many a high school Friday night was spent going to see a movie and then to Panjos for pizza and beer. Anyway, really good crust on this one! Kind of crispy...

2. Valian's -- somebody SERIOUSLY needs to bring back this restaurant...get the recipes and just do it...LOL I was REAL young (probably around 5 or so) when my parents used to bring this home...I still remember how good it was.

3. Yamin's Pizza -- I remember it being on Wesleyan...DAMN good pizza. Can you tell I am a Pizza Connoiseur (sp?)?

4. Burger Chef -- Again, probably 5 when I had this last...remember one over near Wesleyan I believe...and one over in Bellaire on Chimney Rock. Liked it at the time, but I have a feeling it was probably McDonald's competitor...same quality.

5. Hamburgers by Gourmet -- They don't make em like this anymore. Parents used to take me to one over on Kirby near the Village. Later on, we had one on 1960 near North Oaks Mall. The chili cheeseburger was excellent...but you paid for it after you ate one..at least I did.

6. Del Taco -- Yeah, I liked it! :-) Heck of a lot better than Taco Bell. Had one across from Klein High School and we all used to frequent the place pretty regularly. Went to sunny California a few years ago and to my shock and awe discovered it was "Del Taco heaven". Ate there a few times just for "old times sake". Tasted exactly the way I remembered it.

7. Farrells, Northwest Mall -- I too, would go there for birthdays, etc. Awesome place!

8. 11th Street Barbecue -- I spent a LOT of time in the heights as my grandmother lived there. Ate a lot of 11th Street Barbecue! I miss that place!

9. J&J Barbecue, Herkimer St. -- My maternal grandmother used to take me there when I was, again -- 5 or so...lol. You can tell food made a big impression on me, right? Bwhahahaha!!! Anyway, used to like to go there cos I could watch the choo-choo train come down the train tracks that used to run across 11th street near there. Plus the barbecue ruled. I remember the sliced beef sandwiches were served on slices of regular white bread.

10. Heap O' Cream -- little ice cream parlor on Yale next to the park (can't remember the name of the park). My grandmother used to take me to the park and to get an ice cream cone at the parlor. I remember they had a soda/malt fountain with those chrome and red cushion bar stool thingys and ceiling fans in there.

11. Borden Ice Cream parlor at Main and Studewood...PURE MAGIC. Loved their malts!!! Same old time, soda fountain with ceiling fans look that Heap o' Cream had...

12. Akin Pharmacy's Soda Fountain Studewood/18th (?) -- Another fine malt...for the malt connoseurs out there...same classic soda fountain setup inside. I remember the Eckerd Drug on Holcombe near Stella Link (used to live near there when I was in Elementary School) used to have the same setup during the 60s.

14. Bellaire Broiler Burger -- Excellent food. I remember the carrousel they had in there for kids who were my age at the time.

15. Roy Roger's Roast Beef -- On the 610 feeder near the Galleria. Loved that place! I guess Arby's killed Roy. :-(

Edited by Disastro

Here is my working list of restaurants and clubs:

Famous Chicken House - Telephone Road

Old Heidelburg Inn - Telephone Road

Old Hickory Stick - Telephone Road

Old Mexico - Gray

Foote's Cafeteria - in Bellaire

Galli Spaghetti House - Telephone Road

Mr. Sirloin - Telephone at 610

Liberty Hall - Red Beans and Rice

Valian's - both the restaurant on Main and the pizza place on Shepherd

Big Humprey's Pizza - Belfort

Italian Beef House - Telephone under the Coca Cola sign

Samperi's - Telephone Road

Ray Hay's Broiler Burger - Telephone at Dumble

Leo's Mexican - 2203 S. Shepherd

The Whistle Stop Bar-b-que - Old Galveston Road

The Cellar Door Bar-b-que - two locations

Cardet's Cafe (Cuban) - 1927 Fairview

The Hoagie Shop - 3507 S. Shepherd

Zorba's - 202 Tuam

Alfred's - On Rice and Stella Link

Marini's Empanda House - Westheimer

Swiss Haus - In the Village

The Village Cheese Shop - In the Village

Captain Benny's - in the boat at Greenbriar and Main

Sonny Look's - on Main

The Hobbit Hole - 1715 S. Shepherd

St. Michel - 2150 Richmond

Prufrock's Tavern - 423 Westheimer

Joseph's Wine Shop - 1408 Westheimer

The Chicago Pizza Company - 4100 Mandell

Chaucer's - 5020 Montrose

Cody's (really a jazz club) - 3400 Montrose

Mrs. Me's Cafe - Dunlavy at Indiana

La Bodega - 2402 Mandell

Weinerschnitzel - Westheimer at Commonwealth

Spud-U-Like - 416 Westheimer

Butera's - 5019 Montrose and the Grocery Store on Bissonet

Matt Garner's Bar-b-que - Gray (Good as it ever was)

Las Brisas - 614 W. Gray

Captain John's - W. Gray at Woodhead

Gantry's - 1658 Westheimer (now Marks)

The Wine Press - W. Gray

Renu's - 1230 Westheimer

Mana Eleni - 1115 Missouri

U.S. Bar & Grill - 1220 Taft

Quasimodo's Sanctuary - 1985 Welch (now Mockingbird)

Metropol - 1007 Waugh

Missouri Street Cafe - 1117 Missouri

River Cafe - 3615 Montrose

Albritton's Cafeteria - Waugh

Glatzmaier's - Old Market Square

Landry's Seafood - 2912 S. Shepherd

The Stables - S. Main at Greenbriar

I'm pushing fifty. The farthest back I can remember a Taco Bell first opening up in Houston was when I was about 11 or 12, which would have been the late 1960s/early 1970s. I remember it being right by Hobby Airport (Intercontinental had just opened), I think on Park Place Boulevard. Can anyone tell me if my memory is serving me correctly?

The first Taco Bell in that area was at the corner of Bellfort and Telephone. Not really on the corner but just a littl east of the intersection down Bellfort. It was our late night hangout when I was in high school. After a night of drinking we would sober up with $.25 tacos and burritos.

First up, I am new and just found this forum yesterday...what an awesome forum!!! Bringing back a lot of memories. I am thoroughly diggin' it!

Welcome to HAIF.

Try using the search function on the restaurant names you mentioned. There have been topics or pictures of a lot of them.

I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but there was a restaurant named Willie & Mike's Innovation on Westheimer. I believe it is close to where Texadelphia and Mama's are located. They had a costume/seating area theme, where the staff wore various costumes. I do remember there being waiters/waitresses dressed as cops and prisoners, etc..........Does anybody remember this place?

Anyone list The Velvet Turtle?

Everything was to die for from the gazpacho to the chocolate mousse. It was on the Southwest Freeway before you got to that hotel that I can't remember the name of and it had a swinging disco in the 70-80's. Big old English looking Place.

On the Border... I'm pretty sure they're all gone now (please correct me if I'm wrong).

There were two that I know of, and they had great red sauce, chips, and veggie fajitas.... and I'm not even vegetarian.

They just opened one down in Pearland (288 & 518).........making a comeback perhaps?

Everything was to die for from the gazpacho to the chocolate mousse. It was on the Southwest Freeway before you got to that hotel that I can't remember the name of and it had a swinging disco in the 70-80's. Big old English looking Place.

The Royal Coach Inn?

The Manor House near Beechnut?

Yep. It was on Braeswood at Kirby in front of the Kroger. I always thought "Peoples Restaurant" had a funny old-fashioned communist ring to it. ^_^

That's funny Subdude, they had a location in SA that was always packed. Another question was there a miniature golf course on kirby close to the old kroger?

On the Border... I'm pretty sure they're all gone now (please correct me if I'm wrong).

There were two that I know of, and they had great red sauce, chips, and veggie fajitas.... and I'm not even vegetarian.

My wife remembers that place! She also misses Strawberry Patch, Old San Francisco Steak House, Circus (she thinks that's the name), some "treehouse" restaurant, and also eating at "Romano's" cafeteria, before it changed into Luby's. She's a native Houstonian and has lived in Houston all her life (44 years). Her brother took her to Farrell's in the Galleria for their birthday (she was born on his 10th birthday). And a Harlow's on Fondren; her boyfriend (when she was 18) took her there on Halloween night. One of the waiters was dressed as a giant roll of toilet paper...she thought that was hilarious.

There also used to be a lot more Pizza Inn's and Pizza Huts. My wife used to work at a Taco Bueno and Danvers when she was a teenager. She also worked as a waitress at Champs (on Gessner at 59) for a whopping two weeks - LOL.

There's also Sizzler and Bonanza that I remember. Man, way too many restaraunts have gone away.

I never ate at The Velvet Turtle - but I remember it well. It was south of Hillcroft on Hwy 59. Now it's some big flashy strip club. (COLORADO?) The old English looking hotel was further south - Royal Coach Inn. Was the disco called Ruggles?

Was that Los Troncos restaurant?

I remember that restaurant. I was 15, my first boyfriend, the Preacher's son, took me there. That's where I had my first drink, and some really good seafood with some type of tomato concotion on it.

I never ate at The Velvet Turtle - but I remember it well. It was south of Hillcroft on Hwy 59. Now it's some big flashy strip club. (COLORADO?) The old English looking hotel was further south - Royal Coach Inn. Was the disco called Ruggles?

That 's it!!!!!!!!!!

I tried to read though all the posts to be sure this was not mentioned before...but I'm running out of time this morning...so here goes.

There was a restaurant on NW Freeway (290) near where Black Eye Pea is now days... It was a pretty nice place... had these HUGE paper mache animals. The food was pretty good.

I remember my mom and I use to go often. This would be mid to late 70's. Anyone remember the name of this place?