Defunct Houston Restaurants

Dirty's, used to be located on Durham just south of I-10. Great chicken-fried steak

Strawberry Patch on Westheimer where Pappas Bros Steakhouse is now. Also great chicken fried steak, as well as the best hot blueberry muffins ever created, included free in your bread basket.

Harry's Kenya, a great upscale restaurant downtown.

The San Jacinto Inn - great seafood. Right by the Battleship Texas - NOT to be confused with the Monument Inn.

Tuffy's Seafood down on Galveston

The original Mariposa lunchroom in Neiman's at the Galleria - it used to be on the 1st floor right by the entrance to the mall, now that area is a cosmetics counter

The Sakowitz downtown lunchroom. The Sakowitz Post Oak lunchroom, for that matter. Great orange rolls in the bread basket

The original downtown James Coney Island

Las Brasas mexican restaurant on Kuykendahl just south of FM 1960

Dong Ting's very upscale chinese restaurant, in the same little area as Brennan's (and I'm looking forward to Brennan's reopening)

Cafe Artiste off Mandell and West Main

Hills Pier 19 in Galveston, now a (shudder) Joe's Crab Shack. Also Strand Street Brewery, now a Fuddruckers.

Zan's down in Galveston. I can't remember when this closed. Fortunately, I got a taste of Zan's cooking again in 2004 when he catered my wedding. Oh, yeah, Phoenix bakery down there did my wedding cakes, and now they are closed.

Cafe Miami, a cuban restaurant off Bissonnett at Hilcroft

Dolce and Freddo

Pino's on Westheimer and Hilcroft

Cafe Montrose

Guy from empress - was that Richard, or Scott Chen?

Dirty's is gone? I had no idea. It seems like that was there forever.

I only ate at Dong Tings a couple of times but it seemed WAY overrated.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even though it's only been gone a short time, I miss the original Antone's on Taft. The chain Antone's pale in comparison to the original locations. I don't even know how many 'original' stores exist.

Attached are photos when my brother visited some years ago I think in 2007 and him with my father in front of Cardet's Cafe in the 70's.

Several from long ago in my childhood when we used to come to Houston to see my grandparents: -Kapan's on South Main at Kirby (where the Eckerd's is now), our usual Sunday after church lunch place -

Posted Images

Without reading the whole thread, I don't believe anyone has mentioned Texas Steak Ranch. It was in a big log cabin looking building one block south of Richmond and Fountainview behind what is now Barrys Pizza. Which back then was Baby Janes Saloon. Texas Steak Ranch had what was back then the best Chicken Fried Steak in Houston and was one of my first introductions to Buttermilk Salad dressing before it became popular.

joe

Without reading the whole thread, I don't believe anyone has mentioned Texas Steak Ranch. It was in a big log cabin looking building one block south of Richmond and Fountainview behind what is now Barrys Pizza. Which back then was Baby Janes Saloon. Texas Steak Ranch had what was back then the best Chicken Fried Steak in Houston and was one of my first introductions to Buttermilk Salad dressing before it became popular.

joe

Well thank you for that Joe. I may have mentioned it somewhere in this thread (I know I've posted about it somewhere) but I could not remember the name and others have suggested I was remembering Dirty's which I think had a place on Chimney Rock about the same time.

Yes, that was probably the best CFS I ever had

Dirty's isn't listed at all anymore on B4-U-EAT, so I suspect the other location's closed too.

Dirtys had two locations one I believe where you say on Chimney Rock and the other in the Heights somewhere. It was a white wooden clapboard siding building with green trim. They were more famous for their burgers, but I think you are right they are both gone.

joe

My favorite restaurant in the 70's was The Happy Buddha on lower Westheimer. It burned multiple times in the 80's.

I loved Hamburgers by Gourmet. There used to be a number of locations, even a few in Austin.

I loved Chili's way back at the beginning when damn near all they had was Chili Dogs.

Favorite Chinese was Timmy Chan's on Main (Or maybe Fannin or San Jacinto) between 59 and the Med Center.

Bonanza was a pit. The Sizzler was the place to go for quality.

Albriton's Cafeteria.

Spud-U-Like on lower Westheimer.

The River Cafe on Montrose.

Stak's on Montrose.

The Pot Pie (before they were a pizza place)

Horsey Burger!

Beef and Bird

I miss this restaurant on Wilcrest. It was formal and had an east coast feel to it with great wild game especially the wild boar with plum sauce as well as the salmon pate with the bread as a starter. The more casual french place by the same chef isnt as good for my taste.. le Cep I believe it is called.

The Beef and Bird was great...I grew up about two stones throws from there

If I recall correctly, Sizzler later became the Strawberry Patch and then Pappa's Steak House. Circus Circus on Westheimer became Pappadeaux's. The Bonanza on Stella Link became a True Value Hardware and then later West U Lawnmower.

Remember Cookies, Goodies and More on lower Westheimer? Yum.

There was also The Brasserie on West Alabama, next to Pasternak's Grocery and Steak & Egg over by Zim's.

joe

I believe that log cabin became Outback Pub (NOT affiliated with the Outback Steakhouse Chain). I used to go to Outback Pub a decent amount in '98-'99 when I lived in that area right after moving back to Houston after college (before I moved into town).

Dirtys had two locations one I believe where you say on Chimney Rock and the other in the Heights somewhere. It was a white wooden clapboard siding building with green trim. They were more famous for their burgers, but I think you are right they are both gone.

joe

The Heights location was at Durham just south of I-10, now a Cyclone Anaya's is on the site.

• 2 months later...

New to the forum, but wanted to throw in my fav restaurants I went to with my parents as a young child in the late '60's and early '70's:

Kapan's

Sonny Look's (my mom says there was a waiter there that used to carry me around as a baby and show me off to other restaurant patrons; we went there so often that the staff would always bring me rice and gravy - I suppose it was a favorite of mine)

Timmy Chan's

Trader Vic's

Farrell's

Kip's Big Boy

House of Pies (believe they are still in business, not sure if in the same location)

I grew up on the edge of West U on Bissonnet across from the Coca-Cola Bottling Plant before moving to the west side on Memorial Drive and Highway 6 in Fleetwood (quite a change for a 12 year old in '77). I remember a bakery somewhere near West U that had wonderful cakes and pastries (can't think of the name of it) but I think it was near the old Rice Supermarket in the area.

Great memories!

Perhaps you are thinking of Mueller's Bakery in The Village? It was wonderful and only about a block south from Rice grocery store. Great to hear from a neighbor, I lived on University Blvd. in West University Place from 1941-1981, so I know it throughout at long history. Moved back in 1993, stayed til 1996 and my daughter still lives there. Any questions, will be glad to help.

By the way, loved Timmy Chan's in Greenway, such elegant presentation of food. How about the tall, footed, pierced silver rice servers? Miss so many of the the great restaurants.

'Reefmonkey' date='Friday, March 13th, 2009 @ 12:03pm'

I remember Cafe Artiste. I had lunch there once in the early 90's with one of the interior designers at the firm where I worked. I really don't remember much about the food but it was a cozy place. Something is there now too that looks like a bistro of sorts. I'll drive by this afternoon and see if I can figure out what exactly it is now.

'Reefmonkey' date='Friday, March 13th, 2009 @ 12:03pm'

I remember Cafe Artiste. I had lunch there once in the early 90's with one of the interior designers at the firm where I worked. I really don't remember much about the food but it was a cozy place. Something is there now too that looks like a bistro of sorts. I'll drive by this afternoon and see if I can figure out what exactly it is now.

Is that where the former owner of LaMora is opening her restaurant? No wait, I can't remember, but it should be coming soon. Speaking of:

LaMora

joe

Are you Joe I.?

When I was in high school, we used to go tot he Texas Steak Ranch. THey had fabulous tamales and they introduced me to what I now know as Ranch dressing.

Perhaps you are thinking of Mueller's Bakery in The Village? It was wonderful and only about a block south from Rice grocery store. Great to hear from a neighbor, I lived on University Blvd. in West University Place from 1941-1981, so I know it throughout at long history. Moved back in 1993, stayed til 1996 and my daughter still lives there. Any questions, will be glad to help.

By the way, loved Timmy Chan's in Greenway, such elegant presentation of food. How about the tall, footed, pierced silver rice servers? Miss so many of the the great restaurants.

Mueller's is now on Holcombe/Bellaire just east of the RRtracks near the Palace Bowling Lanes. It is in a building that originally was a Howard Johnson's in the 50s and early 60s. It was several other incarnations including a vet office in the years between the HoJo and Bakery.

Mueller's! That is it. Thank you for jogging my memory. And yes, Timmy Chan's in Greenway. I loved it. I thank my parents for exposing me to so much when I was young.

Not sure it's been mentioned here, but growing up in Houston I remember going with the family to a special steak place off nroth Shepherd several times per year during the 1970's and very early '80's. Ducho's Steak House.

I loved that place. The real baked potatoes with the condiments tray, the ice burg lettuce salads and juicy steaks cooked to order . . . and the little picks that were stuck in each steak to confirm your steak choice.

Mueller's is now on Holcombe/Bellaire just east of the RRtracks near the Palace Bowling Lanes. It is in a building that originally was a Howard Johnson's in the 50s and early 60s. It was several other incarnations including a vet office in the years between the HoJo and Bakery.

Okay, I have been around a long time. On our 9th grade, Sr. Skip Day from Pershing, in 1956, a group of us hung out at Howard Johnson's there on Bellaire. During that era they had an all you could eat seafood fry every Friday night, good stuff.

• Like 1

Okay, I have been around a long time. On our 9th grade, Sr. Skip Day from Pershing, in 1956, a group of us hung out at Howard Johnson's there on Bellaire. During that era they had an all you could eat seafood fry every Friday night, good stuff.

Good grief...I was treated to Howard Johnson's on Bellaire long about that same time...it was a terrific outing to be taken there. I spent one strange year at Pershing in 1958 (7th grade) It was my fist exposure to lots of odd people.

Another great restaurant from the 50s & 60s was Vallian's ... Holcomb @ S. Main. Undeniably the best pizza on earth :-)

Did that one make the pages here?

Does anyone remember the original Corral Cafe in Madisonville?

We used to stop there for lunch on the way to my grandmother's house

in Mart, Texas. They had a neat Texas souvenir area next to the main

dining room.

I see the present location is for sale--hope it'll still be a Corral. :(

• Like 1
"I" is my middle initial. J.I.G.

joe

I went to high school with a guy named Joe Indeli... and he was one of the ones that went with us to Texas Steak Ranch. Guess it wasn't you, though you may have been at the next table.

There was a restaurant, now defunct but the name escapes me. Someone here is bound to remember it.

It was on the NE corner of the Katy Frwy and Beltway 8. It is now a Murphys Deli. It was Tex-Mex and the patio had a tiki-hut type roof. It was just north of the parking lot of Builders Square (now HCC).

Very early 90's.

Excellent food, by the way. If I could only remember the name. :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...
1708 N. Main@Harrington. Appears to have been a restaurant and/or bar. Anyone recall what this used to be?

Neat facade - it used to be Los Magueyes bar and restaurant, a record shop, and a paint store in the 1970s. From the painting on the inside it might be an old incarnation of Los Pericos Mexican restaurant which is a few miles up Main St. now (or the Pericos on Mangum).

Also came across this 1953 advertisement for the downtown Maxim's:

1pwlzr.jpg

Sev, I will take one of each and like, right now! Also downtown in this era was The Normandie, elegant, cool and dark with gorgeous food and the best Eclairs in the world, before or since.

Sev, I will take one of each and like, right now! Also downtown in this era was The Normandie, elegant, cool and dark with gorgeous food and the best Eclairs in the world, before or since.

Ahhh, Maxim's. My father took me there for my birthday lunch from age 6 - 14. They had the best chocolate mousse. Camille Berman had quite a checkered reputation.

Also came across this 1953 advertisement for the downtown Maxim's:

1pwlzr.jpg

Maxims downtown was originally the Peacock Dining Room. Bermann, (Salvador Dali's former roommate) assumed the lease in 1950 and converted it to French cuisine. At the time it was reported that he had gone so far as to banish steak from the menu, but that was considered a bit over the top for Texas at the time, so as you can see the steak was reinstated. The Fannin location was demolished in 1960, and I believe Maxims moved next to the Foley's garage building.

Were you at the Main Street location or the Milam one? The interior of the Normandie Supper Club was supposed to evoke the ocean liner Normandie. Their specialty was "flaming dishes".

normandie242.jpg

Edited by Subdude
Neat facade - it used to be Los Magueyes bar and restaurant, a record shop, and a paint store in the 1970s. From the painting on the inside it might be an old incarnation of Los Pericos Mexican restaurant which is a few miles up Main St. now (or the Pericos on Mangum).

You're the best :) Thanks.

Looks like the building isn't really in that bad of shape.

Were you at the Main Street location or the Milam one? The interior of the Normandie Supper Club was supposed to evoke the ocean liner Normandie. Their specialty was "flaming dishes".

normandie242.jpg

Thank you for the pictures! Where do you get these things? As my visits were in my pre-driving years, I don't know which location, but the Dining Room on your postcard is the one!

a few places from my early days:

thornhill cafeteria in palm center, where my dad's record store "harmony hut" was located

albrittan's cafeteria

sky terrace (sakowitz where my mom worked, we would go as a treat)

warwick hotel (few rare dinners with my dad's business associates)

youngbloods (fried chicken family place, now aunt beas on the northside)

gee's (airline @ crosstimbers, chinese my mom & sibs loved where i could get a cheeseburger & jukeboxes on the table:)

princess hamburgers downtown, eat in the car (as a teen drink orange tommy's with my mom)

shakey's pizza by northline mall

piccadily cafeteria in northline mall

windmill dinner theater

howard johnson's I45 & crosstimbers (waitressed as a teen, they made saltwater taffy) its now something of a crackhouse

monterrey house - they put candy at the bottom of the bowl of chips!

antione's on taft

santa anita's (downtown, an elderly gentleman served us who also served my parents in the late 50's)

gallagher's steakhouse (served great bread & wisconsin cheese spread)

mr. bake-a-tater (around the westheimer curve, late 70's)

one's a meal (next to river oaks theater) now by katz's deli

sam's bbq on airline, late 70's, great food & they sponsored my softball team

bennigins (late 80's, my kids loved it, took my son to 59 location every st. patricks on his birthday

old san francisco steakhouse on westheimer

boston sea party also on westheimer

never been here but my parents met at a place called the "buccaneer drive-in, 1955, currently 2016 main residential & sammys

my mom had 4 kids in tow & liked cafeteria dining. we also drove to the country to visit my grandparents often down I45 north outside centerville, stopping at stuckeys in conroe, madisonville & centerville. the corral cafe in madisonville was so good my grandparents drove there many sundays from marquez where they lived, a considerable distance!

Edited by debmartin
  • Like 1
Yep, and it became Garden in the Heights.

And then became a bunch of townhomes.

Both Bavarian Gardens & Garden in the Heights were lovely places for shows. I'm sure I saw Brave Combo at an Oktoberfest or two. After the Germans sold it, some Irish folks ran it for a while; pretty good folk & Celtic rock shows, with lovely live oaks to shade the pale folk. And beer!

And I seem to remember a Pacifica benefit, at which a full grown billy goat was auctioned off to some fool....

Another great restaurant from the 50s & 60s was Vallian's ... Holcomb @ S. Main. Undeniably the best pizza on earth :-)

Did that one make the pages here?

Oh man... I remember Valian's, across the street from the Shamrock Hotel. Ate there many, many times. Definitely was the best pizza in the world.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh man... I remember Valian's, across the street from the Shamrock Hotel. Ate there many, many times. Definitely was the best pizza in the world.

Well, people...you all have superb taste in Pizza. Vallian's was undoubtedly the very best! I am bias...it was also the first Pizza Pie I ever tasted...I can remember asking my mom when she surprised me with Itallian food, what all that stuff was.. One bite into an anchovie on a Vallian's Pizza and I was hooked. One other fellow I remember well who could make great Pizza was Mr. Leonard Pearlman (Leonardo's) I had tasted his recipe from the only other location he had. It was in Pasadena and had a bright neon sign. I think it was all take out there in Pasadena...then he opened up on So. Post Oak...liked his Pizza so much I went to work for him. When I asked my boss about Vallian's pizza, he just growled "crap!" I laughed...Leonardo's pizza was really great...but I have never tasted anything to compare with a Vallian's deluxe w/anchovies in about 40 years now :-(

Vallian's was also the perfect dinner date...then head on downtown to the theaters. They made a dish called veal scallopine a la` pizza...also had cozy partitioned seating...candle light. Darla!! are you out there?? Where's my blue-jean baby queen, Darla from Nov.6, 1963?...oh...'scuse me..flashback....

I remember Vallian's having an un-adorned, exterior side right up to the sidewalk along Main St. starting just a few steps south of Holcomb...with their sign spelling out VALLIAN'S in large 4-5' lettering set at almost ground level...running across a large length of the facade.

Sure would like to see a photo of Vallian's

• Like 1

Does anyone remember the original Corral Cafe in Madisonville?

We used to stop there for lunch on the way to my grandmother's house

in Mart, Texas. They had a neat Texas souvenir area next to the main

dining room.

I see the present location is for sale--hope it'll still be a Corral. :(

My goodness, yes. My cousin still lives in Madisonville. When I visited her as a teenager, we ran in and out of that place a lot. We mostly hung out at the drug store, but sometimes we'd head for the Corral for a coke or maybe for breakfast.