Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

there was a chicos (mexican) restaurant at the corner or main and kirby (i think there is a formal wear shop there now). also there was also del taco (like taco bell) and another restaurant like taco cabana (can't think of the name, but they were all over). looks like taco cabana won out though.

Two Pesos? Taco Cabana bought the Two Pesos stores in Houston. I don't remember a Del Taco in Houston. I know they are just about everywhere, but Texas though. I went to one last year in California!

Two Pesos? Taco Cabana bought the Two Pesos stores in Houston. I don't remember a Del Taco in Houston. I know they are just about everywhere, but Texas though. I went to one last year in California!

I know there were 2 Del Tacos on S. Gessner - one near the Hwy 59 intersection and one near the Westchase district. I liked their strawberry soda. :P

Taco CAbana filed a lawsuit against Two Pesos because the concept of Two Pesos was too similar to what Taco Cabana already was. Taco Cabana won.

Del taco didn't last long in Houston. The last one i can remember was in the 80's. Kinda like ChiChi's they were not good and closed.

Taco CAbana filed a lawsuit against Two Pesos because the concept of Two Pesos was too similar to what Taco Cabana already was. Taco Cabana won.

Del taco didn't last long in Houston. The last one i can remember was in the 80's. Kinda like ChiChi's they were not good and closed.

yeah! two pesos.

the del taco i am thinking of was located at s. main near the new texans training bubble. i think it is now a popeyes or churchs' chicken.

I remember a Del Taco up on FM1960 at Aldine Westfield and a ChiChi's just east of Kuykendahl on FM1960. ChiChi's was just horrible - that one later turned into an Olive Garden. My wife, who is from Iowa, said that had ChiChi's up there and everyone thought it was "great" Mexican food!

My wife, who is from Iowa, said that had ChiChi's up there and everyone thought it was "great" Mexican food!

Hey I live in Texas and work in Arkansas currently. I know what good Mexican food is and people north of Dallas have a whole different concept what Mexican food actually is. In other words, I refuse to consume a cheese enchilada with white gravy or something other than enchilada sauce or chile.

I'm back working in Texas in two weeks and trust me, it's been 3 months too long since I have had some good fixins'. You'll find me at my favorite Mexican Restaurant sipping a true Margarita and eating like royalty after being without!

Edited by enviromain

First of all, I would kill for a Valian's pizza, but I think the burger restaurant you are looking for was Rolando's Burger Factory. Every order came with an order of Ranch Style Beans.

Valians! What a place. One of the few places outside of New York or Beaumont that you could get anchovies on your salad. If you were still hungry, In '68 or so, there was a killer steakhouse that was open late in the Shamrock Hilton. Don't remember the name. I used to hit it coming in late to Hobby.

For years, my favorite BBQ joint was J&J (or JJ's) BBQ on Herkimer one house off W 11th. The place closed down many years ago, but the house and sign remained for years. I believe the house was torn down for new development.

Hey I live in Texas and work in Arkansas currently. I know what good Mexican food is and people north of Dallas have a whole different concept what Mexican food actually is. In other words, I refuse to consume a cheese enchilada with white gravy or something other than enchilada sauce or chile.

You don't have to go to Dallas to find people who don't know what Mexican food is, just start here. I personally don't know how Chuy's stays open. Horrible.

You don't have to go to Dallas to find people who don't know what Mexican food is, just start here. I personally don't know how Chuy's stays open. Horrible.

Amen Musicman! The Chuy's in Austin is a hangout for college kids and always crowded, but they serve free queso, chips, and salsa there. The Chuy's in San Antonio is never crowded and I have no idea how they can be profiting at all. They even moved their location to the north side of town, but still not many cars in their parking lot. You're quess is as good as mine, because I'd take Taco Bell before Chuy's any day!

You might want to leave your opinion about Chuy's at http://www.yelp.com. It's a fairly new website where customer's can leave their opinions on restaraunts, stores, etc. that they like or dislike. If there is not a listing for the business you are looking for then you can add that business. It's pretty cool. I've left my 2 cents regarding quite a few businesses.

Guest Sebastian De La Ghetto
I personally don't know how Chuy's stays open. Horrible.

Chuy's is open b/c of the cheap drinks. I went there once to meet a friend (left soon after) but first i ordered my drink, absolut neat. I got a HUGE goblet full of absolut for a measley 6 bucks. I was set for the night.

:wacko:

I was at the Hobby airport several days ago, and when I stopped at the Wendy's fast food place in the central concourse there, I saw a framed large black and white photo of what looks like an old Wendy's restaurant hanging there. (It is on the side wall to your right when you face the counter for ordering.) It looks like it was taken in the 70's, judging from the cars in the photo.

What got my interest about this photo was that the restaurant wasn't your standard stand-alone restaurant, but was at the end of some old strip mall that looked as if it was built in 30's, 40's or 50's. The restaurant's roofline had a round corner, which would have been Art Deco-ish, except that there were a series of panels lined along the roofline, the front and the side. Also, the sign from the front roofline was vertical -- I can't remember if it was a vertical panel like on old A&P grocery stores or just a vertically hanging sign like old movie theaters. (Sorry, this is a bit hard to describe, since I didn't take any picture of that photo, and that photo is kinda hard to get to -- you'd need a Southwestern ticket to get in and see the picture. :-) )

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this photo also, and if so, do you know the location of the restaurant? I'm presuming it was some old Houston location of a Wendy's, since it doesn't seem to make sense to have an old photo of Wendy's in a different town.

I was at the Hobby airport several days ago, and when I stopped at the Wendy's fast food place in the central concourse there, I saw a framed large black and white photo of what looks like an old Wendy's restaurant hanging there. (It is on the side wall to your right when you face the counter for ordering.) It looks like it was taken in the 70's, judging from the cars in the photo.

Haven't been into the Wendy's you are referring to, but I remember when Wendy's came to Houston. The one in Sharpstown opened in the 1970's and promoted 100% Beef hamburgers. It was located in the fast food strip on Fondren between SW Freway and Bellaire Blvd. Also included there was Jack in the Box, McDonald's, & Burger King.

I really LOVED that drive-thru sushi place at the corner of Sage/Richmond Ave back in 1998-99 or such. (It's what Coffee Guy used to occupy later.)

They eventually moved to the Meyerland shopping center and became a Miyako's attachment called Little Miyako and was not quite the same anymore.

The teriyaki beef bowls at the old semi deco drive-thru while not being anything close to sumptuous or delicate like the actual Japanese way...were still really hearty meals in themselves. They just had a different taste.

And I liked the pretty and smiling girls that worked there...

Does anybody around here remember Las Casuelas? The greatest Mexican food restaurant in Houston history? In a big old house at the corner of Fulton and Quitman out in the barrio on the near north side? I think it was even better than the original Ninfa's on Navigation.

Like Ninfa's, Las Casuelas catered to the Hispanic population of its neighborhood. They had the usual array of Tex-Mex stuff, and a lot of "real" Mexican food, the kind you get down in the interior of Mexico.

It was open 24 hours a day, and they often had live entertainment. My wife and I would often go in very early -- around sunup -- on Saturday or Sunday morning for a Mexican breakfast. Or stop off on the way home for margaritas late at night.

You know a Mexican restaurant is "great" when it's filled up with Hispanics at all hours of day and night. It was also something of a community center, with Mexican newspapers, magazines, records and tapes.

It closed sometime in the 70s, and I heard it was because it couldn't -- or wouldn't -- comply with the health code. It wasn't the "cleanest" restaurant in town, but damn the food and the atmosphere were great.

Edited by FilioScotia

I bet no one else remembers this: There was a restaurant on the corner of W. Belfort & Chimney Rock next to the (then) Weingartens which had little horses on springs arranged in a semi circle for kids to sit on while they ate their burgers.

I don't know what else they served or what the name of the place was but I LOVED that place back in the early/mid 60s.

Also I remember Bonanza -- they were all over town. There was one on Stella Link just inside the Loop that stayed in business at least till 1980.

And speaking of Stella Link inside the loop, remember Alfred's? It was a venerable "Kosher Style" Deli and I believe it stayed in business till Alfred died. His son owns Kahn's Deli in the village.

That was Brittain's Broiler Burger - one of my all-time favorite places to eat. Beck's does a pretty good copy of the old "number 2 with cheese" with their Bubba Burger minus the lettuce and tomatoes and add onions.

If you've never tried it, Beck's has a couple of very nice locations - one on Westheimer between Chimney

Rock and Fountainview (they saved a BEAUTIFUL old oak tree and put seating below) and the other is next to the "pro shop" at Memorial Park golfcourse - north of Memorial Drive. You can sit outside and look out over the fairway or putting area - like "being at the country club".

There may be a Broiler Burger preserved on Bellaire (near where it splits with Bisonett) but I was not impressed with their food. Didn't come close to the Brittain's Broiler Burger I remember so fondly.

Magic Pan, Galleria ( there's a website, magic pan.com, I think, for all of us fans)

Brittain's Broiler Burger

Nanny's (owned by Blue Ribbon Packing Company) on Calhoun behind U of H - great cream gravy!

ORIGINAL Ninfa's (Carlos, the waiter, works for her sons now at their place)

Leo's Mexican Restaurant on Shepherd

Armando's (good substitute is Bocados Restaurant on W. Alabama near St. Thomas)

Bombay Palace (staff and cooks have gone to Gourmet India, 13155 Westheimer, past Dairy-Ashford)

Allbritton's Cafeteria

Taco Bueno - the closest one is in Waco, I think

steak sandwich place that was in Carillon Center on Westheimer

Roy Roger's Roast Beef Sandwiches - loved the sweet BBQ sauce mixed with the horseradish sauce - yum

a bakery/deli called Maxim's (?) that was in strip center on San Felipe near Fountainview

Sakowitz on Post Oak's sandwich shop (when it was upstairs and good)

Marshall-Fields - Galleria - chicken salad sandwiches

Lotus Chinese Restaurant - Westheimer/Fountainview - Beef and Scallops

Oak'n Bucket

strudel shop in the Galleria - tiny (1 booth) but good - cream cheese strudel and almond/apricot

Ruby Red's Hamburger

Matranga's

STILL HERE1: Felix's, Bocado's,Neilsen's Deli, Kolache Shop Richmond/Weslayan, Edloe Deli in West U

Edited by atticus

There is a new store/warehouse place at the intersection of 18th/TC Jester/Ella - where K-Mart use to be. Some sort of Restaurant supply place.... anyone know anything about this?

Go to any restaurant supply store - ex: there's one on 34th near Ella - that stuff is everywhere!

Also, on the new place where the K-Mart used to be: It's a membership place - I think you need an affiliation with a registered restaurant or club. Mainly food items when I went by.

A couple of very nice restaurants, that I doubt any here would remember, were Hebert's (pronounced A-bear's) and the Green Parrot. I'm talking 40's - 50's time-frame. Hebert's was in an old house, built in 1904, and was located at the southeast corner of San Jacinto and McGowen. Hebert's food specialty was French, New Orleans style cooking, along with excellent steaks and fresh seafood prepared a variety of ways. The Green Parrot was also in an old house located a few blocks east of Almeda in the MacGregor/Riverside area. Its specialty was southern style, home-cooking. They served delicious fried chicken, cat fish, shrimp, meat loaf, etc., along with beans, green beans, turnip greens, and salads. Dessert fare was homemade pies and cakes.

I'm lucky enough to have gone to the Green Parrot with my parents before it closed. Thanks for mentioning its location. I was uncertain where it was. A very memorable place.

Does anyone remember a restaurant in The Galleria called "Shucker's", at least I think that's what it was called. The all you could eat boiled shrimpfor $5.99 was awesome, but you had to peel'em yourself. It was a nice little "sportsbar" type of place.

Yes. Are they gone? They and the restaurant across the hallway were run by The Houston Oaks Hotel - or whatever they're called now - the hotel on the front of the Galleria (westheimer)

I miss the Wine Press on West Gray and almost across the street Captian Johnny's- now the Pier one location.

But does anyone remember a burger place on Richmond or Alabama just west of Montrose that had a drive through window and a very psychedelic in style. Maybe mushroom was in the name?

If you know the name, please post.

I'm having to work at remembering the name. The one I'm thinking of was just east of Montrose on W. Alabama, had cheese sauces for the hamburgers instead of cheese, served beer? I'll post again if I remember.

it never is as good as you remember. Antones is another place that was magical as a kid but now just tastes OK.

Try the Antone's in the Village. They employ one of the original employees and the sandwiches are as good as you remember - ask for extra chow-chow.

Furrs Cafeteria, Wyatts Cafeteria, Picadilly Cafeteria, Allbritton Cafeteria.

Guess the cafeteria market kind of died out, huh? Even Luby's has closed many of their locations.

There are plenty of those all you can eat pig-out buffets around now to take up some of the slack, but I don't like those because I feel like I have to get my money's worth and usually end up overeating!

You might enjoy Cleburne's Cafeteria on Bissonett near Edloe - just down from Channel 13.

Las Cazuelas on Wayside is now Mucho Mexico Los Molcajetes.

It has really good seafood like oysters and octupus and ceviche. :wub:

I remember years ago we used to go to Las Cazuelas after the bars closed, and it was just a great lively place to be. They used to run a bus service out of the parking lot whereby local immigrants could pay a small fee to go back across the border on the weekends. They never lacked for customers.

Chuy's is open b/c of the cheap drinks. I went there once to meet a friend (left soon after) but first i ordered my drink, absolut neat. I got a HUGE goblet full of absolut for a measley 6 bucks. I was set for the night.

:wacko:

You guys don't like Chuy's?? Well, to each his own I suppose. For me, Chuy's is one of my favorite Tex-Mex places. Now, before you call me a Yankee or acuse me of not knowing my Tex-Mex - let me say I'm a 3rd generation Houstonian who's been eatin' Tex-Mex since I was a kid. Heck, I was eatin' fajita's before most people had ever heard of 'em (late 70's early 80's). IMHO, Chuy's has some of the best beef fajita's around. ..and if I'm not getting the fajita's I'm getting the #2 combo - enchalada and Chili Rellino - YUMMM!! Oh, and if you haven't tried the creamy jalapeno salsa you are really missing out.

Las Cazuelas was still open in the '80s -- I used to take dates there in high school. I remember once taking an eighth grade girl there when I was a freshman, and they served us all the Margaritas we could handle.

My mom was there in the '60s one time and she ordered a plate of nachos. She didn't order the huge cockroach that was on the plate, though, so she took them back to the cook. The cook grabbed the plate from her, snatched the roach and threw it in the trash, handed the plate back to mom, and went on with his business.

You guys don't like Chuy's?? Well, to each his own I suppose. For me, Chuy's is one of my favorite Tex-Mex places. Now, before you call me a Yankee or acuse me of not knowing my Tex-Mex - let me say I'm a 3rd generation Houstonian who's been eatin' Tex-Mex since I was a kid. Heck, I was eatin' fajita's before most people had ever heard of 'em (late 70's early 80's). IMHO, Chuy's has some of the best beef fajita's around. ..and if I'm not getting the fajita's I'm getting the #2 combo - enchalada and Chili Rellino - YUMMM!! Oh, and if you haven't tried the creamy jalapeno salsa you are really missing out.

SunKing,

I couldn't agree more. I've lived in Houston (with a 5 year stint in College Station) my whole life. Chuy's is one of my favorites here in Houston and the #2 Combo is one of the 2 plates I choose most often. I also love the Southwestern Enchiladas with the fried egg on top. Some of their sauces give it a little more "Southwestern-Mex" feel, but everything I have tried has been good. My top choices for fajitas is Pappasitos (most tender meat) and Lupe Tortillas (lime marinated beef) which are very different, but both very good IMO.

My top choices for fajitas is Pappasitos (most tender meat) and Lupe Tortillas (lime marinated beef) which are very different, but both very good IMO.

Oh yes, Pappasito's and Lupe Tortilla are also both very good (yet a wee bit expensive IMHO). ...and in an effort to get slightly back on topic - have you tried Cyclone Anaya's? They used to have a location on Durham & Washington that closed down many years ago. They have since opened up two new locations - one downtown (close to BW3) and another on Shepherd next to Jax. MMMM, mmmm, good!

Oh yes, Pappasito's and Lupe Tortilla are also both very good (yet a wee bit expensive IMHO). ...and in an effort to get slightly back on topic - have you tried Cyclone Anaya's? They used to have a location on Durham & Washington that closed down many years ago. They have since opened up two new locations - one downtown (close to BW3) and another on Shepherd next to Jax. MMMM, mmmm, good!

Cyclone Anaya's was absolutely GREAT. They had a location on Richmond between Fondren and Gessner that I loved to go to. What a shame it closed.

There is a site on on Studemont near Washington that supposedly is owned by someone involved in the old Cyclone anaya's. I've been there once, it wasn't the same.

That was Brittain's Broiler Burger - one of my all-time favorite places to eat. Beck's does a pretty good copy of the old "number 2 with cheese" with their Bubba Burger minus the lettuce and tomatoes and add onions.

If you've never tried it, Beck's has a couple of very nice locations - one on Westheimer between Chimney

Rock and Fountainview (they saved a BEAUTIFUL old oak tree and put seating below) and the other is next to the "pro shop" at Memorial Park golfcourse - north of Memorial Drive. You can sit outside and look out over the fairway or putting area - like "being at the country club".

There may be a Broiler Burger preserved on Bellaire (near where it splits with Bisonett) but I was not impressed with their food. Didn't come close to the Brittain's Broiler Burger I remember so fondly.

The broiler burger on Bellaire is called Bellaire Broiler Burger.

As may have been mentioned before, there was a Brittain's Broiler Burger in Merchant's Park at Shepherd and W 11th. It was one of the original establishments in the shopping center in addition to Grant's, Wyatt's, Harris Men's Wear, Walgreen's, Billings Jewlery, Henke and Pilot and others. Brittan's, Harris and Walgreen's eventually became part of Merchant's Park Bank.