Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

Does anyone remember Alfreds on Stella Link? The restaurant wasn't that great but the deli in the front was wonderful! I think they were on Marvin's report quite often though. :ph34r:

They had great roast beef sandwitches.....I also remember the original Alfred's that was on Almeda.

My favorite restaurants as a kid:

Jasso's Mexican Food near Almeda Mall

Vaudeville Pizza on Hughes (I went to Stuchbery Elementary so lots of B-Day Parties there!)

Godfather's Pizza - in Kroger strip center on Fuqua - a friend and I would walk over there with about $5 and get personal pizzas and play Zaxon or Ms. Pacman

The small seafood place across from Jimmy Walker's in Kemah - lots of good family memories! Don't know the name of it though.

Ninfa's near Monroe @ 45

I remember Valian's fondly also! And I remember my parents getting a sitter so they could go to Boston Sea Party and The Great Caruso. Us kids never got to go there. I moved away in 1985 for 13 years, so I want to know...

What happened to JoJo's??? When did they close?

Now I'm vegetarian and cook mostly at home. My restaurant choices are greatly reduced, and I stick pretty much to the same places like Mission Burrito and Mac Grill and the occasional Chinese place.

Jason

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but...

Bambolino's Pizza.

The drive through pizza places with the little patios that had the best pizza and breadsticks in town and also had the best frozen lemonade.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm I used to frequent the Beechnut/Bissonett location.

Bambolino's moved to 1525 Westheimer.

By the way, I wonder why the Sweet Mesquite/Starfire Grill (3801 Bellaire Boulevard in the city of Southside Place) closed.

Edited by VicMan

Guest Sebastian De La Ghetto

When i was a kid my parents use to take me to a polynesian restaurant in woodlake square. It was kick ass, had a suspension bridge and tiki's torches everywhere. I cannot remember the name for the life of me though. ahhh memories.

xfr10208.jpg

Furrs Cafeteria, Wyatts Cafeteria, Picadilly Cafeteria, Allbritton Cafeteria.

Guess the cafeteria market kind of died out, huh? Even Luby's has closed many of their locations.

There's still a Wyatts Cafeteria on Griggs just south of OST. For all I know it's the last one left on earth. We used to eat at the one on Spencer Highway in Pasadena all the time when I was younger.

When i was a kid my parents use to take me to a polynesian restaurant in woodlake square. It was kick ass, had a suspension bridge and tiki's torches everywhere. I cannot remember the name for the life of me though. ahhh memories.

Do a search. There's a thread about local tiki restaurants.

Great matchbook covers. Where was the Hoagie Shop?

Metropol I remember on Waugh. Very much the stylish joint for a while. Bavarian Gardens and Codys were also great places.

xfr10208.jpg

That was Trader Vic's, and I loved it too. It was fun to watch those Polynesian cooks chopping and cutting up your food right there at your table.

That was Trader Vic's, and I loved it too. It was fun to watch those Polynesian cooks chopping and cutting up your food right there at your table.

i didn't know this until recently, buyt trader vic's is still around, and supposedly going to open up shop again in houston (not sure what incarnation of vic's this is, though...).

There's still a Wyatts Cafeteria on Griggs just south of OST. For all I know it's the last one left on earth. We used to eat at the one on Spencer Highway in Pasadena all the time when I was younger.

last one in houston, but i think there's also one somewhere in dallas

Guest Sebastian De La Ghetto

Thanks! i just checked the website, opening soon in TX, but in Dall-ass. BOOOO. Hopefully Houston soon, and with a suspension bridge.

Great Kemah pix, Enviro, but a couple of places are missing! Jimmie Walker's was extremely popular, but a little pricey. We used to go to a place very near it. It seems like it was almost next door. A stilted wooden building, all upstairs. You had to walk up a steep flight of outdoor steps to get to it. One big dining room overlooking the water on the back side. Fabulous, fresh seafood and quite reasonable. I think it lasted until at least around 1960.

57Tbird and I were recently discussing a spot in Kemah from my early childhood. Around 1945, at the end of the war. It was ground level and you turned off to it before you got all the way down to the Jimmie Walker area. I believe the name was The Sportsman's Club. As you walked in the front door, you were in a room with a counter and stools plus a few small tables. Along the opposite wall was a long line of slot machines. My mother and father would take a table and place a wooden chair piled with phone books in front of a slot machine, hand me a bunch of nickels and keep me occupied. To the left upon entering was a nicer dining room. These were the glory days of The Balinese Room in Galveston, when illegal gambling was in its heyday along the coast, with local law enforcement casting a very blind eye.

One must remember this was a very long trip from West University Place. There was no Gulf Freeway, two lane blacktop all the way, now known as Old Galveston Highway in some spots.

In 1959, there was a polynesian type restaurant at Sage and Westheimer, cannot recall the name, was before the Trader Vic era. They had a divine (ahem) dish called Celestial Chicken, which was so unforgettable, I continue to this day to make it at home. Cubes of white meat of chicken, breaded and covered in sesame seeds, crisp fried and served on a bed of fluffly white rice, covered with white sauce/gravy. Accompanied by Jasmine tea, a simple, but wonderful taste treat. Anyone recall the name? I don't think it lasted too long.

"In 1959, there was a polynesian type restaurant at Sage and Westheimer, cannot recall the name, was before the Trader Vic era. They had a divine (ahem) dish called Celestial Chicken, which was so unforgettable, I continue to this day to make it at home. Cubes of white meat of chicken, breaded and covered in sesame seeds, crisp fried and served on a bed of fluffly white rice, covered with white sauce/gravy. Accompanied by Jasmine tea, a simple, but wonderful taste treat. Anyone recall the name? I don't think it lasted too long."

I remember that place. I almost went to work there in the summer of 1964 when I was in college. The manager hired me and said report for work the following week, but I changed my mind at the last minute and decided to go back to school.

It was the Dobbs House Luau, and you're right -- I don't think it survived the sixties. The restaurant was torn down years ago, and several businesses have come and gone since then. I think a big Walgreen's Drug Store now occupies the corner of Westheimer and Sage.

Edited by FilioScotia

Up above, someone suggested checking an old thread on "tiki restaurants." I did just now and surely enough, got the answer. Sorry Filio, but I am sure this is the one from my recollection:

There was another Poly-Asian Restaurant in Houston. It was called Poly-Asian West and was located at 5138 Westheimer. This is near Sage Road where the exciting Bali-Hai apartment complex is located. It's the most lavish TIKI building remaining in Houston.

This was under 50s Medcenter, which I have brought back to the fore.

Up above, someone suggested checking an old thread on "tiki restaurants." I did just now and surely enough, got the answer. Sorry Filio, but I am sure this is the one from my recollection:

There was another Poly-Asian Restaurant in Houston. It was called Poly-Asian West and was located at 5138 Westheimer. This is near Sage Road where the exciting Bali-Hai apartment complex is located. It's the most lavish TIKI building remaining in Houston.

This was under 50s Medcenter, which I have brought back to the fore.

Then there were two polynesian restaurants in that immediate area. I have clear memories of being hired to work at the Dobbs House Luau at 5200 Westheimer just a block away from the Poly-Asian.

Was the Poly-Asian owned by Albert Gee? All of a sudden saying "Albert Gee" and "Poly-Asian" together is ringing a bell somewhere in my old brain.

Edited by FilioScotia

Yep, Albert Gee owned the Poly-Asian and sold it to a Mr Chin. There's some discussion about it in the '50s Medcenter topic. Gee also owned another restaurant called Ding How that was on Main north of Holcombe. Oddly enough, there is an Albert Gee restaurant knick-knack in the display case at Hunan Village on Shepherd, so I think that might be connected with his family.

In the 1960's, Safari was our favorite steak restaurant. Incredible ambiance and food. Sheer perfection. By the 1990's, my husband and I discovered Pappas Brothers Steakhouse on Westheimer and were in heaven. Now that place is worth the $100 or so you'll drop for a steak and potato.

One last mention of favorites categories; Cellar Door on Bellaire, near corner of Weslayan. Still, though long gone, the best overall BBQ I've ever experienced. The french fries spectacular, the baked potatoes beyond all others and Boston Cream Pie to absolutely die for.

Well, I lied, here is another I've not seen mentioned, the Normandie in downtown. A pastry cart worthy of Paris with Chocolate Eclairs I couldn't resist.

Crikey, I forgot the thread was Main Street and got off on waxing rhapsodic on food. Forgive me, these belong in defunct restaurants. Oh, well, hungry anyone?

I put this in Take A Walk Down Main Street and decided I'd better clean up my act and stick it where it belongs, so here, a duplicate.

Valian's (Italian, pizza) on South Main across the street from the Shamrock Hotel. One of THE places to go in high school on a Saturday night (especially with a date).

Ye Olde College Inn on South Main near University.

Youngblood's Fried Chicken - several around town.

Green Parrott (near UH?)

Prince's Hamburger old-fashioned drive-in at South Main and OST intersection (the waitresses did wear roller skates, just like in "American Grafitti".

These are fond memories from my youth, circa 1960's.

Also, the original San Jacinto Inn on the Ship Channel.

Prince's Hamburger old-fashioned drive-in at South Main and OST intersection (the waitresses did wear roller skates, just like in "American Grafitti".
According to the Prince brothers in a segment from "Houston, Remember When", carhops at Prince's never wore skates at any of their locations.

My favorite restaurants as a kid:

The small seafood place across from Jimmy Walker's in Kemah - lots of good family memories! Don't know the name of it though.

Could this have been a restaurant called the Brass Parrot? I had a boyfriend take me to dinner in the late 80's at a restaurant in Kemah that sounds like what you and others have described. It was outside seating on a big deck overlooking the water and we watched the boats come in. It was the first time I had been to Kemah since we lived on the west side. It was a far away date place for high schoolers - part of why I remember it so well.

In the 1960's, Safari was our favorite steak restaurant. Incredible ambiance and food. Sheer perfection. By the 1990's, my husband and I discovered Pappas Brothers Steakhouse on Westheimer and were in heaven. Now that place is worth the $100 or so you'll drop for a steak and potato.

One last mention of favorites categories; Cellar Door on Bellaire, near corner of Weslayan. Still, though long gone, the best overall BBQ I've ever experienced. The french fries spectacular, the baked potatoes beyond all others and Boston Cream Pie to absolutely die for.

Well, I lied, here is another I've not seen mentioned, the Normandie in downtown. A pastry cart worthy of Paris with Chocolate Eclairs I couldn't resist.

Crikey, I forgot the thread was Main Street and got off on waxing rhapsodic on food. Forgive me, these belong in defunct restaurants. Oh, well, hungry anyone?

I put this in Take A Walk Down Main Street and decided I'd better clean up my act and stick it where it belongs, so here, a duplicate.

Pappas Brothers Steakhouse used to be The Strawberry Patch, also a Pappas restaurant. They were well known for their strawberry muffins.

THIS THREAD IS MAKING ME HUNGRY! :wacko:

Anybody remember Louie's On The Lake?

The Bismark?

xfr10208.jpg

(copy from 50s Med Center Hotel)

So as for Tiki Restaurants, we had Trader Vic's in the Shamrock Hotel, the Poly-Asian on South Main, and Don the Beachcomber in Woodlake where Amazon is now located. Don the Beachcomber was the most recent. I think it was built about 1972 and demolished about 1980. It was a round, onion shaped building with a pond at the entry. You crossed a bridge lighted by gas fired torches upon entering. The center of the roof had an opening with more gas fired flames. Inside, the concave walls were lined with bamboo and other lush tropical landscaping complete with trickling waterfalls and singing birds. I remember being most fascinated by the fireflies that appeared to fly around and light up intermittently. It was like a bit of Disney in Houston. The Book of Tiki states they had 16 locations.

The Green Parrot off of Almeda at Hermann Drive (their wonderful fried chicken and the beautiful grounds), the San Jacinto Inn (those platters of boiled shrimp and biscuits), Youngblood's Fried Chicken on Main Street, Weldon's Cafeteria (where Lawndale Art Center is today), Suzanne's Cafeteria (near the current BookStop, Ye Old College Inn.