Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

I miss Tony Mandola's Blue Oyster Bar on the Gulf Freeway near Park Place. That was me and my wife's favorite place...especially during their lunchtime happy hour: $2.00 beers, $0.25 oysters and $0.10 boiled shrimp!

I also miss the old Fusion Cafe at Main and Alabama. After it moved to Rice Village, it seemed to lose some flavor....and some "flava". It wasn't the right setting for soul food.

If you like seafood AND are old enough, you might remember:

1. Jimmy Walkers (now Landry's in Kemah)

2. The San Jacinto Inn (near Battleship Texas)

3. Tomek's (we'll make the location a trivia question).

I remember 3 great seafood restaurants; TWO you have probably heard of but never visited and ONE that I bet not one person on the board ever heard of:

1. Jimmy Walkers (now Landry's in Kemah) 2. The San Jacinto Inn (near the Battleship Texas) 3. Tomek's (if you remember, you tell me).

I ate at both Jimmie Walkers and the San Jacinto Inn back in the mid-80's when I was a kid. I remember getting good seafood at both. I ate my first raw oyster at the San Jacinto Inn. I remember the loooong wooden tables at San Jacinto Inn...enough to fit my entire family (about 15 people at the time).

What a great location too...

• 2 weeks later...
I like those places in malls that sell those big pretzels with mustard.

Still missing:

Sunset Tea Room

DISH

Driscoll Street Cafe

The Spud-U-Like

Cookies, Goodies, and More

Empanada House

the original La Strada

Frenchy's on Shepherd

Sabine

Armandos

Quilted Toque

Sierra

The Magic Pan Crepery

and many more

Heights... Where have you been? Moving? Haven't seen anything from you for awhile.

Yes, those stores in the malls that sell those big pretzels with mustard. Also those restaurants that sell "gourmet" hamburgers with lots of toppings on them (mushrooms, jalapenos, etc.).

A couple of very nice restaurants, that I doubt any here would remember, were Hebert's (pronounced A-bear's) and the Green Parrot. I'm talking 40's - 50's time-frame. Hebert's was in an old house, built in 1904, and was located at the southeast corner of San Jacinto and McGowen. Hebert's food specialty was French, New Orleans style cooking, along with excellent steaks and fresh seafood prepared a variety of ways. The Green Parrot was also in an old house located a few blocks east of Almeda in the MacGregor/Riverside area. Its specialty was southern style, home-cooking. They served delicious fried chicken, cat fish, shrimp, meat loaf, etc., along with beans, green beans, turnip greens, and salads. Dessert fare was homemade pies and cakes.

Hebert's was still in operation thru the mid 70's. I used to take clients there for lunch. There was a private dining room in the basement with a well-stocked wine cellar. Loved their corned beef & cabbage or red beans & rice. The Hebert family is still in the food business. They have Hebert's Speciality Meats on Richmond and another on 45 N in the Pavillion Mall in the Woodlands area. Another not-so-well known restaruant that operated from an old house was Mama Galli's (sp) located near Gulfgate.

I guess nobody ever heard of or knows where Tomek's is/was. (see Post #70).

Edited by riverrat

I miss "Oxford's, A Civilized Restaurant" in downtown Houston. It lasted almost two years. The downfall came when the City of Houston decided to erect a bus stop directly in front of the restaurant. You'd think that would be good, but it killed the business almost overnight. Weird...

Does anyone remember a restaurant in The Galleria called "Shucker's", at least I think that's what it was called. The all you could eat boiled shrimpfor $5.99 was awesome, but you had to peel'em yourself. It was a nice little "sportsbar" type of place.

Hey, T-Bird, thanks for the welcome back!

Yeah, it has taken a while to get settled into a routine here in Bastrop, and then for one reason or another, I kept putting off posting here again. Of course, it was nice to take a break from some of the Leftist attacks I was experiencing. Who knows; maybe in time I will pi$$ off the Right, and they will start in on me! I am an equal opportunity offender, after all.

Meanwhile, some of the downtown restaurants I remember are L&C, Santa Anita, The Cock and Bull and Massa

As one who is possibly the most senior contributor to this forum I'm tossing out these names which might have been mentioned previously in some old thread...

Valian's Pizza - which I believe was on Main near the old Shamrock Hotel. THE place to go after a UH home football game in the 1950's and one of the first pizza places in Houston.

Bud Bigelow's - a steakhouse "way out" on Westheimer, possibly near Hillcroft.

Weldon's Cafeteria on Main - a rather upscale cafeteria in a Mod-looking brick building near the present Museum District. I think that the building is still there but may have had the facade altered.

Edited by silverartfox

An old favorite from way back when was The Log Cabin out on Attascosita or Old Humble Road, and later on US 59 near Lee Rd. It was an all-you-could-eat, family-style restaurant. Some of the vegetables were so fresh that you would swear they grew them right outside. That

As one who is possibly the most senior contributor to this forum I'm tossing out these names which might have been mentioned previously in some old thread...

Valian's Pizza - which I believe was on Main near the old Shamrock Hotel. THE place to go after a UH home football game in the 1950's and one of the first pizza places in Houston.

Weldon's Cafeteria on Main - a rather upscale cafeteria in a Mod-looking brick building near the present Museum District. I think that the building is still there but may have had the facade altered.

Welcome Silver, As you may be reigning "elder" I'm sure your library of stored info of Geographical Houston will be invaluable to the Forum. We want to know all about it, so cough it up ! Glad you are here, ENJOY ! :D

Well, silverartfox....Looks like I have some competition for the Old F*** title around here. Good to have someone to help me with 40's-60's Houston memories and other assorted items of interest.

I went to Valian's often in the 50's after Rice home games and on other occasions. It has been discussed here often. It was across Main from the Shamrock. I also remember Bud Bigelow's and Weldon's...located as you mentioned.

Well, silverartfox....Looks like I have some competition for the Old F*** title around here. Good to have someone to help me with 40's-60's Houston memories and other assorted items of interest.

I went to Valian's often in the 50's after Rice home games and on other occasions. It has been discussed here often. It was across Main from the Shamrock. I also remember Bud Bigelow's and Weldon's...located as you mentioned.

MEEEEEOOOOOOOOWWWWWW !!! :lol: Hey 57, how are you doing ? Haven't seen you around for awhile, glad to see you post, I miss your wisdom and knowledge of all things Houston. We need to start a new thread about some other Houston landmarks.

Hebert's was still in operation thru the mid 70's. I used to take clients there for lunch. There was a private dining room in the basement with a well-stocked wine cellar. Loved their corned beef & cabbage or red beans & rice. The Hebert family is still in the food business. They have Hebert's Speciality Meats on Richmond and another on 45 N in the Pavillion Mall in the Woodlands area. Another not-so-well known restaruant that operated from an old house was Mama Galli's (sp) located near Gulfgate.

I am acquainted with the husband of the daughter of the Hebert who owned the Hebert's on McGowen, so I forwarded your comments to him. His reply:

The Hebert family associated with Hebert's Ritz on McGowen is not related to the Hebert now in business with the meat markets. The corned beef and red beans and rice were served for lunch only. We closed the restaurant in 1987, and the building was demolished shortly thereafter. The economic crunch of the times gave us an excuse to close it and get out of an increasingly competitive business. We had inherited the business and were not content in the operation of it. We are are now happily retired and living in contentment overlooking the shores of Galveston Bay.

I am acquainted with the husband of the daughter of the Hebert who owned the Hebert's on McGowen, so I forwarded your comments to him. His reply:

The Hebert family associated with Hebert's Ritz on McGowen is not related to the Hebert now in business with the meat markets. The corned beef and red beans and rice were served for lunch only. We closed the restaurant in 1987, and the building was demolished shortly thereafter. The economic crunch of the times gave us an excuse to close it and get out of an increasingly competitive business. We had inherited the business and were not content in the operation of it. We are are now happily retired and living in contentment overlooking the shores of Galveston Bay.

Here is Hebert's Ritz:

RitzRest.jpg

On the back it says

"We Invite You to Visit the Ritz Dining Room

Where Good Food Is Cooked and Served Under the Personal Supervision of the Owners

Mr and Mrs CLIFTON P HEBERT

and Where You Can Eat and Feel

You are Among Friends"

Here is Hebert's Ritz:

RitzRest.jpg

On the back it says

"We Invite You to Visit the Ritz Dining Room

Where Good Food Is Cooked and Served Under the Personal Supervision of the Owners

Mr and Mrs CLIFTON P HEBERT

and Where You Can Eat and Feel

You are Among Friends"

Wow!! Subdude...You continue to impress me with your collection, or expertise, on where to find things like this. I will forward this piece of memorabilia to the former owners. I am sure they will be most appreciative. Thanks! I have them looking for an old menu from their establishment. They said they have a bunch of them stored away in a box somewhere. I will post, if I get one. Hebert's Ritz was a fine dining establishment in its time. Would be interesting to compare prices with today's menus of comparable restaurants. I am curious about the spelling of McGowen. On the card, it is McGowan. I thought it was spelled with an "e".

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember the Asian Restaurant (or Asian Kitchen, depending on who you talk to) that was at the corner of Richmond/Weslayan? It's been gone since '98 or '99 - whenever it was that they redid that whole strip center. MAN, I miss that place.

Even though it's only been gone a short time, I miss the original Antone's on Taft. The chain Antone's pale in comparison to the original locations. I don't even know how many 'original' stores exist.

I also miss ZuZu, which was on Shepherd near Fairview. It was Mexican fast food and I remember a salsa bar or something... it was quaint with good food.

Did you ever go to Tila's? Good food, wish it was still there. Used to be very close to the last of Felix Mexican Restaraunts. Still fighting to keep Felix's open!

Shuckers is still open in the Galleria.

Does anyone recall the Windswept Inn? It was a home cooking/family style restaurant on a side street off of 45 North, south of BW 8 area. I remember going there as a kid in the mid 70's with my grandparents. They would bring huge (huge to a 5 year old) bowls of mashed potatoes, greens, beans, and platters of fried chicken and chicken fried steaks.

Edited by neuman

Several from long ago in my childhood when we used to come to Houston to see my grandparents:

-Kapan's on South Main at Kirby (where the Eckerd's is now), our usual Sunday after church lunch place - good steaks and seafood, and those excellent crab ball appetizers that the guy in the white suit used to bring around to all the tables

-Angelo's, another long gone seafood restuarant

-The Strawberry Patch on Westheimer, the Pappas family's country/home cooking concept (Pappas Bros. Steakhouse is there now)

-Tokyo Gardens, the first place I ever had Japanese

I used to live in Houston and we ate out about every Friday or Saturday nite. I remember Kapan's, Angelo's (We would watch the fireworks at Astroworld from there!) I also remember going to Pipe Organ Pizza. I hope it is still there....I have not been back to Houston in many years. They had great pizza and nice atmosphere. I also remember a Chinese food place called Western Steak Ranch. They still had the best egg rolls I have ever eaten.....even to this day....wish I could find them now! We also visited a place called Don The Beach Comber.....Hawaiian food.....really neat restaurant. The Old Hickory Stick had good BBQ.

Bonnie's Beef and Barrell (Beef and Brew) I think is still operating.....I liked that place alot.

Hope you remember these......if so tell me what you know about it.

Rollergirl gone.....

If you like seafood AND are old enough, you might remember:

1. Jimmy Walkers (now Landry's in Kemah)

2. The San Jacinto Inn (near Battleship Texas)

3. Tomek's (we'll make the location a trivia question).

Yep......remember the first two well. I did not like seafood....but loved the homeade biscuits, jam and atmosphere of San Jacinto Inn. Jimmy Walkers was good....liked watching the ship channel.

Do you remember Pipe Organ Pizza? Is it still in Houston. I live in Dallas and have not visited Houston area in a long time.

..... I have them looking for an old menu from their establishment. They said they have a bunch of them stored away in a box somewhere. I will post, if I get one. Hebert's Ritz was a fine dining establishment in its time. Would be interesting to compare prices with today's menus of comparable restaurants.

They sent me a copy of one of their old menus. Please pardon the quality.

Hebert's Ritz Menu from 1941

HebertsRitzMenu1.jpg

The Tommy Vaughn one I remember had a low man's voice sing "Tommy Vaughn" followed by a high female voice echoing the same...

Chuck Davis doesn't ring a bell at the moment, but I do remember "Get your Chevrolets from Persia...Mike Persia Chevrolet"

One of you (I can't remember who) found on Ebay and posted an Uncle John's Pancakes coffee cup and ash tray. Thanks. I still hope that someone out there will find out exactly where it was located.

From 1969 Cole's Directory:

John's Pancake House

3833 O.S.T.

Houston, Texas 77025

713-747-2136

near int of 6000 Scott St.

Car Dealer Songs:

Da-vis....Chuck Davis.....Chuck Davis Chevrolet, oh yea,...Chuck Davis Chevrolet!

Buy your Chevrolet from Persia, Mike Persia Chevrolet (sung to the beat of indian drums)

This same tune was use for Joe Conte Chevrolet here also, at a later date.

I remember these songs sounding very spooky at night on the AM car radio when the signal would fade in and out. Tommy Vaughn's had an eerie echo too. It could have been all the ear infections I always had...time for a lance!

There use to be an area that was upstairs at Sharpstown Mall that had bars and resturants. Anyone remember that? Names of any of them? I use to go see live music there sometimes.

Chelsea Street Pub was the only bar. I can't tell you how many times I heard "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother" while we were closing up the Chick-fil-a. That's funny - I had forgotten about that "fancy" restaurant lowspark mentioned...no one went there. (It was across the way from the See's Candies...yum!)

Chelsea Street Pub was the only bar. I can't tell you how many times I heard "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother" while we were closing up the Chick-fil-a. That's funny - I had forgotten about that "fancy" restaurant lowspark mentioned...no one went there. (It was across the way from the See's Candies...yum!)

Apollo, I can't begin to tell you how many times I was in that Arcade at Sharpstown, back in the 70's. I still remember it, it was sooooooo dark and gritty, I LOVED IT !

I have a restaurant for some of you "oldtimers", does anyone recall "The Blue Marlin" out in Humble ?

Edited by TJones