Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

Isn't there going to be a "El Pollo Loco" here in Houston coming...I think way later in the year. I read it somewhere.

there used to be an El Pollo Loco here in the 80's..on the east freeway...maybe at Kress?

Applebee's? are they back now? they were here in the early 90's.

Woolworth's Grill? I specifically remember the one in Almeda Mall.

Timmychan,

Nah..I never ate at Steak and Egg but my wife did. I can believe it that everything was there from then from what she said.

Panjo's Pizza at Town & Country

The Hot Biscuit in Humble, TX

Farrell's in the Galleria

The Magic Pan in the Galleria

El Fenix in the Galleria

TimmyChan's, I used to go to the Tumbleweed with my parents!! I loved it, because I got to dance with my dad a lot!!

That's all I can remember for now!

there used to be an El Pollo Loco here in the 80's..on the east freeway...maybe at Kress?

Applebee's?  are they back now?  they were here in the early 90's.

Woolworth's Grill?  I specifically remember the one in Almeda Mall.

Timmychan,

Nah..I never ate at Steak and Egg but my wife did.  I can believe it that everything was there from then from what she said.

Applebees is being built by West Oaks mall. :)

HORRAY!! I like it there!

Speaking of West Oaks Mall. There is NOTHING left of that store. Mervyins is now gone, its all fashion in the mall (and Dept stores), NO bookstore, there is a cell phone cart around every inch of the mall.

So unless you want clothes or something to eat not even worth going to West Oaks anymore :(

They took out Kaybee as well, Carlton Cards, Meryvins, Blockbuster Music, I heard Disney store was going out soon too.

okay sorry back on topic.

Bennigans is going out it seems. I liked it there too! :(

Applebee's? A low-rate TGI Fridays. I lived in Little Rock for 6 months, and they had one of these. Terrible. Just terrible. I think that is why you find them in small towns. They have no competition.

BTW, they had a couple in Houston in the mid 80s. One was at FM 1960 and Kuykendahl. It sucked 20 years ago, too.

They still have Applebee's here. I know they aren't the best places to eat, but I have to admit I love them! I am so excited that they are building one next to West Oaks (over on the JC Penney side), but I have to wonder why there, if the mall is basically self-destructing? I wonder if they are going to tear it down?

The Oriental Chicken Wrap-Up is my favorite, I get it every time! :)

P.S. Thanks texasboy!! :D

Getting a little off topic, but I drove by West Oaks yesterday and was shocked to see Mervyn's closed and JC Penney with going out of business signs up. They no sooner finish a huge renovation and two anchor stores are going out? Doesn't speak well for the mall at all. When I lived in Westchase I always enjoyed shopping at West Oaks, and the last time I was there when the renovation was nearing completion I thought it was looking very good.

West Oaks probably had too many department store anchors. There used to be six, then after Palais Royal left in 2000 their spot sat empty for a few years until Linens & Things went into it. Now there will still be three department store anchors, provided Dillard's, Sears, and Foley's (Macy's) stay. Those three, plus Alamo Drafthouse, and the smaller stores might be enough to keep the place hanging on for a while. That mall does have a history of trying to find its niche -- it originally was built as a suburban Galleria with stores like Saks and Lord & Taylor. After Saks and Lord & Taylor left and were more middle-class stores, the mall did seem to be more successful.

Getting a little off topic, but I drove by West Oaks yesterday and was shocked to see Mervyn's closed and JC Penney with going out of business signs up.
I was inside West Oaks when I saw Meryvins was gone. I noticed today going to W.Oaks that JcPenny's had their "going out of business" sale. I keep hearing prices for rent is too high.
They no sooner finish a huge renovation and two anchor stores are going out? Doesn't speak well for the mall at all. When I lived in Westchase I always enjoyed shopping at West Oaks, and the last time I was there when the renovation was nearing completion I thought it was looking very good.

West Oaks probably had too many department store anchors. There used to be six, then after Palais Royal left in 2000 their spot sat empty for a few years until Linens & Things went into it. Now there will still be three department store anchors, provided Dillard's, Sears, and Foley's (Macy's) stay. Those three, plus Alamo Drafthouse, and the smaller stores might be enough to keep the place hanging on for a while. That mall does have a history of trying to find its niche -- it originally was built as a suburban Galleria with stores like Saks and Lord & Taylor. After Saks and Lord & Taylor left and were more middle-class stores, the mall did seem to be more successful.

I hate some of these unknown stores. After the renovations I was sure the mall was going to be better too. Sad that it looks like they are all leaving. :(

I remember eating breakfast at some restaurant called "Champ's" as a child. I liked the little train that would go around near the ceiling, and it would pass through some shelves filled with stuff. I think they closed down a few years back(I think there were multiple locations).

Oh, and yes, I also remember this place called JoJo's, which was pretty good(This was near the Fondren area, I think, where i used to live). I don't know if they are still open, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember eating breakfast at some restaurant called "Champ's" as a child.  I liked the little train that would go around near the ceiling, and it would pass through some shelves filled with stuff.  I think they closed down a few years back(I think there were multiple locations).

Oh, and yes, I also remember this place called JoJo's, which was pretty good(This was near the Fondren area, I think, where i used to live).    I don't know if they are still open, though.

I have mentioned this earlier.

Champs had this frosted ugly yellow windows. I can vaquely remember the smell of Pancakes. Its the aroma I was left with.

JoJo's used to be on Braswood I think.

Here are some more old restaurants from one of Subdude's post.

7900 South Main

Kaphan's Restaurant

Demolished

Kaphans.jpg

7707 South Main

El Chico Restaurant

Status?

ElChico.jpg

7315 South Main

Red Lion Restaurant

Demolished

RedLion.jpg

6935 South Main

Vallian's. Houston's original pizza place.

Demolished

Valians.jpg

• Like 1

Guest danax

Anyone remember Barnacle Bill's Seafood Market, 3414 Katy Fwy, (Heights/Studemont)?

I don't, I wasn't here yet. I was reading an old Houston Post from 1975 that I found in a box and saw the ad. Lobster Tails; 4.99 lb, shrimp; 1.59 lb. Crawfish; 50c lb.

To put these prices in perspective; leisure suits were going for 19.99, oil/lube/filter; 4.59, gallon of milk; 99c.

Oh, right./ Braeswood. I remember now.

Too bad Old SanFran is gone now. I ate there a few times. Interesting experience.

I bet no one else remembers this: There was a restaurant on the corner of W. Belfort & Chimney Rock next to the (then) Weingartens which had little horses on springs arranged in a semi circle for kids to sit on while they ate their burgers.

I don't know what else they served or what the name of the place was but I LOVED that place back in the early/mid 60s.

Also I remember Bonanza -- they were all over town. There was one on Stella Link just inside the Loop that stayed in business at least till 1980.

And speaking of Stella Link inside the loop, remember Alfred's? It was a venerable "Kosher Style" Deli and I believe it stayed in business till Alfred died. His son owns Kahn's Deli in the village.

• Like 1

I bet no one else remembers this: There was a restaurant on the corner of W. Belfort & Chimney Rock next to the (then) Weingartens which had little horses on springs arranged in a semi circle for kids to sit on while they ate their burgers.

I don't know what else they served or what the name of the place was but I LOVED that place back in the early/mid 60s.

I lived close by so we walked or rode our bikes up there a lot, mainly on the way to Westbury Square to go eat at Ruppleheimer's. I think the restaurant you're thinking about was Britton's or something like that. When I was a teenager, my first job was a clerk at the TG&Y, next door to Weingarten's! :lol:

• Thanks 1

And speaking of Stella Link inside the loop, remember Alfred's? It was a venerable "Kosher Style" Deli and I believe it stayed in business till Alfred died. His son owns Kahn's Deli in the village.

My mother lived down the street from Alfred and his family when she was in high school. She was the son's babysitter for a while.

• Like 1

Oh I loved Princes. There was also another burger place back in the late 50s/early 60s on Bellaire/Holcombe near or in Southside Place or West U on the north side of the street called Price's. It was not a great burger like Princes, but more a a standard flat burger like a regular McDonald's burger. I seem to recall they were an early adopter of the drive through concept.

And speaking of great hamburgers, I love the flavor of Bellaire Broiler Burger. Are they still around?

How about Grandy's?

There was also a Steak 'N' Shake on Kirby just north of the SW Fwy for a very short time. Whenever I drive through the midwest on I-70, I always make a point to stop at one.

• Like 1

Anyone remember Allbritton's Cafeteria on Waugh (just south of the American General building)? It was a white stucco Streamline Moderne building, much like the Carnation milk plant next door.

They had great traditional Texas foods - chicken fried steak with cream gravy, greens, jalapeno cornbread, cheese grits. The women who worked the steam table were appearently installed about the same time the place opened. As you made your way through the line they'd say:

"Serve you."

"Serve you."

with absolutely no expression or inflection. They each must have uttered that phrase hundreds of thousands of times.