Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

I've got a friend who lives in the "Dakota lofts", and there is a great little bar/restaurant in the area called the "Last concert cafe" http://lastconcert.com/.

I used to go to Last Concert regularly about 8-9 years ago. I especially liked to go on Wednesday nights to see Carolyn Wonderland and the Imperial Monkeys play. Her set-break song was "Let's Go Get Stoned". Then, the band and the audience would all adjourn together to the patio and smoke dope for 15-20 minutes until she was ready to play again. Good times.

I used to go to Last Concert regularly about 8-9 years ago. I especially liked to go on Wednesday nights to see Carolyn Wonderland and the Imperial Monkeys play. Her set-break song was "Let's Go Get Stoned". Then, the band and the audience would all adjourn together to the patio and smoke dope for 15-20 minutes until she was ready to play again. Good times.

:lol: Believe it or not that's still happening, except without Carolyn Wonderland. A few weeks ago they had the equivelant of a "dead head" convention with street booths, musicians galore, and of course a whole lot of "Zeppelins" floating around. As you said... Good times.

They were, unfortunately, on the rat and roach report a while back.

Don't take those reports as gospel.

Channel 2's version of Zindler's report incorrectly listed a Midtown bagel joint I used to frequent as being cited by the city. In reality, what happened was that the city asked them to replace the wooden planks they used for their dough rising with metal ones (less pouous, less prone to accumulating cruft). The owners contacted channel 2 which admitted the error, but refused to run a retraction. They posted a note about it on the door explaining, and I think there was an article in one of the small papers about it, which was also posted. But the damage was done. The place closed weeks later because people believed the KPRC report and never saw a correction. Sad.

Channel 2's version of Zindler's report incorrectly listed a Midtown bagel joint I used to frequent as being cited by the city. In reality, what happened was that the city asked them to replace the wooden planks they used for their dough rising with metal ones (less pouous, less prone to accumulating cruft). The owners contacted channel 2 which admitted the error, but refused to run a retraction. They posted a note about it on the door explaining, and I think there was an article in one of the small papers about it, which was also posted. But the damage was done. The place closed weeks later because people believed the KPRC report and never saw a correction. Sad.

So that's what happened to Midtown Bagel. I used to eat there quite frequently, went off on business for a few weeks, and came back to find it closed. What a bummer that was.

On the original topic, has anyone been to the Central City Co-op produce market in Montrose? 2115 Taft in Ecclesia (?) on Wed and Sat. http://www.centralcityco-op.org Sounds like it has the making of an "unknown gem".

Is this the same Last-Concert-playing Carolyn who was (is?) also a technical director at KHOU?

Is this the same Last-Concert-playing Carolyn who was (is?) also a technical director at KHOU?

Not to my knowledge. Carolyn Wonderland is an eclectic Blues guitarist who has been in the Texas music circuit for many years.

Edited by Gary

That question came up in another thread, I remember.

The Last Concert Cafe site includes a couple of interesting old articles about the place. I don't recall ever having to knock to get in, though. I'd always heard it used to be a bordello, but haven't ever found any details about the history.

451613646_a78df8ddf1_b.jpg

• Like 1

hmm...where to start

-the tuesday farmer's market (now at Rice near the stadium)

-Rice Cinema

-Sloane gallery

-Tel Wink

-Andy's (on 11th)

-Carter and Cooley deli

-Droubi's hillcroft

i think it's time to eat, judging from my responses :blush:

Good ones. I'll have to try Tel Wink sometime. Here are some links.

-the tuesday farmer's market (now at Rice near the stadium)

-Rice Cinema

-Sloane gallery

-Tel Wink

-Andy's (on 11th)

-Carter and Cooley deli

-Droubi's hillcroft

and

Byzantine Fresco Chapel Museum

Art Car Museum

Big Head on Main St.

Soundwaves

Edited by tmariar

Last Concert: I was in a blues band that played there several times in the early 90s. Fun place. Yes, you did have to knock to get in back then. Pretty much the closest person, waiter, customer, whoever would just open the door. When we were loading in audio gear we'd pull one of the curtains over from the nearest window to kinda keep the door from closing. Most of their back area is basically open air. In nice weather it was great. Highly recommended. I don't know if they have noise issues now that there are lofts nearby.

marmer

hi, i am new to this site. i grew up in sharpstown, on sandstone just west of kendalia, and my parents had a restaurant on bellaire. it was around the corporate/ranchester stretch of bellaire. originally it was a mexican restaurant called La Fogata (not the same as the San Antonio one). it was open for about a year and then we changed it to a hamburger/seafood bar place called Onion's. that lasted about a year as well. this all would have taken place between 1981-1983.

before we opened the restaurant(s) there was a german restaurant called Brauhaus at that location. I remember there was a sports bar of sorts called the Blue Huddle Club, an arcade called Space Invaders, a Mr. Gatti's, a chinese restaurant called Shanghai City (incidentally that was the only chinese restaurant in that general vicinity at the time :) ) , and a vietnamese supermarket called Cho Que Huong i think.

man those were some great memories. i was around 11-13 years old at the time. does anyone remember a freestanding building on bellaire that was a restaurant called Burger Mountain, Soda Fountain? i think it is a great vietnamese sandwich shop now called Don Cafe. Does anyone remember my family's restaurant(s)?

take care,

-erick

hi, i am new to this site. i grew up in sharpstown, on sandstone just west of kendalia, and my parents had a restaurant on bellaire. it was around the corporate/ranchester stretch of bellaire. originally it was a mexican restaurant called La Fogata (not the same as the San Antonio one). it was open for about a year and then we changed it to a hamburger/seafood bar place called Onion's. that lasted about a year as well. this all would have taken place between 1981-1983.

before we opened the restaurant(s) there was a german restaurant called Brauhaus at that location. I remember there was a sports bar of sorts called the Blue Huddle Club, an arcade called Space Invaders, a Mr. Gatti's, a chinese restaurant called Shanghai City (incidentally that was the only chinese restaurant in that general vicinity at the time :) ) , and a vietnamese supermarket called Cho Que Huong i think.

man those were some great memories. i was around 11-13 years old at the time. does anyone remember a freestanding building on bellaire that was a restaurant called Burger Mountain, Soda Fountain? i think it is a great vietnamese sandwich shop now called Don Cafe. Does anyone remember my family's restaurant(s)?

take care,

-erick

My office is right near corporate/bellaire, and Id LOOOOOVE to see some photos, or hear about more history about this area.

Ive been around this area since the late 90's, and as far as I can remember theres been nothing but asian restaurants, strip shopping centers, etc.

My office is right near corporate/bellaire, and Id LOOOOOVE to see some photos, or hear about more history about this area.

Ive been around this area since the late 90's, and as far as I can remember theres been nothing but asian restaurants, strip shopping centers, etc.

wow, i'll see if i can dig up some old photos of the area. can't make any promises though. i'll think back and see if i can think of any more memories. take care

I love this thread. I was fortunate enough to have parents who loved to dine out and took me with them, so I tried many of these great places before I was old enough to really appreciate them.

Someone mentioned the Velvet Turtle; wasn't that off 59 just outside of Hillcroft? I remember going there with my parents, probably late 70's or early 80's.

Another place I've not seen mentioned was La Pavillion; IIRC it was just inside the Loop over near Post Oak. First place I ever had bearnaise sauce.

The photo of Los Troncos was amazing. Anyone have one of Albert Gee's Poly Asian? We were regulars there; the mynah bird up front was an old friend of mine. LOL.

Speaking of La Pavillion ... is Tony's still around? Remember it was somewhere on 'the Boulevard' too? I never ate there (always heard how expensive it was/is).

Anyhow, another place that comes to mind not for their restaurant really, but for the building that is no longer there. Does anyone remember the Astro Lodge ...? I think that is the name. It was off Main, but on the east side of the bayou. It was a big hotel/motel complex right on the border of the bayou and I may have the name wrong.

Does anyone remember The Happy Buddha on lower Westheimer? They did the chop everything up at the table thing like Benihana. There was a courtyard that had a fake thunderstorm (complete with water, thunder, and lightning) about every thirty minutes? The place burned numerous times in the early to mid 80's. When I was little, I wanted to have my 16th birthday party there. It wasn't really a place for kids, though.

Also, does anyone remember how many Hamburgers by Gourmet there were in Houston? They were amazing. The #10 and some onion rings really hit the spot. I think they had locations in Austin, too. The last one was on Alabama next to The University of St Thomas. They tore it down to build a chapel. I'd rather still have HBG.

I loved the Happy Buddah. It made me very....Happy. Does anyone remember The Bacchanal? I think it was across the street from Michaelangelos on lower Westheimer. They had really rich greek food and belly dancers. They would take everybodys shoes and hoist them up in a net to the ceiling and you had to dance before you could have your shoes back. And yes, they would even break dishes.

Armando's just reopened where River Oaks Grill was. I'm a foodie so all of the above restaurants will be missed.

Here are my additions, hey right on with the Quilted Toque:

Centanni's (Shepherd Plaza)

Strawberry Patch (I10)

Jalapenos (best gourmet tex mex in Houston at Kirby and Westheimer)

River Cafe (Montrose)

Maxim's (Greenway where Tony's is now)

Baroque (Sunset by Rice Univ.)

Dolce & Freddo (Kirby location and San Felipe)

Yes, there was a Hamburgers by Gourmet on Kirby. I'm thinking it was between Westheimer and Richmond, but it could have been farther south. My favorite burger there was the bacon bleu cheese burger.

There was also a competitor, Rolando's Burger Factory. He actually predated HBG in his original location on Richmond Avenue, not far from Dunlavy. He later opened a number of locations, on Kirby just off West Alabama and farther up West Alabama I think, up closer to Univ of St. Thomas. I worked for Rolando for a while when I was in college -- He only used very lean meat and when I first started working for him he was proud of his fresh cut fries but success eventually pushed him to frozen, as the locations were too small to devote the resources to storing, cleaning, cutting fries day in/day out.

I haven't lived in Houston for quite a while, but the place I miss is an old Mexican Restaurant that used to be on Shepherd Drive, Leo's ...

Old Leo supposedly used to ride with Pancho Villa and he'd work the register. It was supposedly a favorite hangout of ZZ Top. It had a funky atmosphere and a fairly generic array of standard Tex-Mex but it was real comfort food too and it was always good. I think it eventually burned down ... I was shocked when I came to town and saw only an awning ... no building anymore.

I haven't lived in Houston for quite a while, but the place I miss is an old Mexican Restaurant that used to be on Shepherd Drive, Leo's ...

Old Leo supposedly used to ride with Pancho Villa and he'd work the register. It was supposedly a favorite hangout of ZZ Top. It had a funky atmosphere and a fairly generic array of standard Tex-Mex but it was real comfort food too and it was always good. I think it eventually burned down ... I was shocked when I came to town and saw only an awning ... no building anymore.

I think you got the right restaurant but got mixed up on the location.

Leo's was just off washington a couple of blocks east of heights blvd.

It's where the "new" Heights Star Pizza location is.

I think you got the right restaurant but got mixed up on the location.

Leo's was just off washington a couple of blocks east of heights blvd.

It's where the "new" Heights Star Pizza location is.

No, he's right. The original Leo's was on Shepherd between Welch and Fairview. The awning, as mentioned, that used to lead to the front door is still there. Leo's moved to Washington Ave after years and years of being on Shepherd. Now there is a car wash or a car detailing place there. I think the only thing they brought to the Washington location was the sign.

No, he's right. The original Leo's was on Shepherd between Welch and Fairview. The awning, as mentioned, that used to lead to the front door is still there. Leo's moved to Washington Ave after years and years of being on Shepherd. Now there is a car wash or a car detailing place there. I think the only thing they brought to the Washington location was the sign.

oops. i did not know that. cool.

any idea when they moved to washington?