Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

What I remember most about Gourmet Hamburgers was their little chocolate mouse desert in a cup. God those were good. Great burgers to. Absinthe 1900 is right about the correct location of the one on Kirby. And I remember the one on Alabama also. Lived right down the street from it.

What I remember most about Gourmet Hamburgers was their little chocolate mouse desert in a cup. God those were good. Great burgers to. Absinthe 1900 is right about the correct location of the one on Kirby. And I remember the one on Alabama also. Lived right down the street from it.

I also remember the Gourmet location on Alabama, near UST....great burgers. I used to live on West Main.

Not sure if any one has asked about Gaido's Seafood on South Main. I can swear we used to drive past it everytime we would go to the McClendon Triple Theater.

Gaido's had that giant shrimp packing 2 pistols and a cowboy hat right? There must be a photo of it somewhere, if someone has can you please post? and what were the cross streets?

It was so cool I always wanted to take it home. Only in Texas!

Not sure if any one has asked about Gaido's Seafood on South Main. I can swear we used to drive past it everytime we would go to the McClendon Triple Theater.

Gaido's had that giant shrimp packing 2 pistols and a cowboy hat right? There must be a photo of it somewhere, if someone has can you please post? and what were the cross streets?

That wasnt Gaidos . It was Christie's . it closed in the late 90's . I think the big shrimp was auctioned off .

I am pretty sure Gaido's Seafood has always been in Galveston. All of my life time I am sure. Seems like they talk about being there nearly 100 years. Great food, pricey for some people's standards, but always good.

I remeber Gaido's on South Main. The one in Galveston has been there for what seems like forever. My son played YMCA basketball with Casey Gaido when he was in the 1st grade. His father was Paulie Gaido who was still running the Galveston location at that time. The resturant they opened right next to it was named for the little Gaido my son played basketball with. At that time they lived in Bay Oaks in Clear Lake and Paulie drove to Galveston to work every day.

• Like 1

My family shares a funny story about Gaido's.

One Sunday afternoon in the late 50s, we took a drive to Galveston. Once we got there, my dad decided that it would be nice to eat at Gaido's. After we were seated, he discovered that he only had $10 in his wallet. This was before the days of the credit card, except for Diner's club, and he didn't have one.

We looked at the menu and he decided that we could just make it. Children's dinners were a dollar and regular dinners were about $2.50 or $3. So the five of us were able to eat for under $10 and he could still leave a tip.

When i was a kid my parents use to take me to a polynesian restaurant in woodlake square. It was kick ass, had a suspension bridge and tiki's torches everywhere. I cannot remember the name for the life of me though. ahhh memories.

xfr10208.jpg

The Restaurant was called "Don The Beachcomer" I went there for my High School Prom Date in 1977. The chain went out of business and the building was torn down, it was replaced by a new Restaurant called......Marco's Mexican Food. I believe that building is still there and now it houses a "Hooters" restaurant.

Clyde :D

I lived in the Ella, T.C. Jester, W. 18th area back in the middle 70's and there was a very exclusive and secluded restaurant somewhere around there. I can't remember the name but I think it was a French restaurant. (I know that the Rainbow Lodge has moved to Ella and T.C. Jester but that is more recent.) Does anyone know what restaurant was there?

And, how about the original Goodson's out in Huffmiester (sp?). The chicken fried steak overlapped the large oval plate and supposedly, Mrs. Goodson herself chose the steaks. The place was so small that folks had to wait for a table out in the parking lot.

The Log Cabin out 59N around the Lee Road exit was the first place I'd ever eaten 'family style' meals. And the food kept coming as long as folks kept eating. Southern fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, the works.

I lived in the Ella, T.C. Jester, W. 18th area back in the middle 70's and there was a very exclusive and secluded restaurant somewhere around there. I can't remember the name but I think it was a French restaurant. (I know that the Rainbow Lodge has moved to Ella and T.C. Jester but that is more recent.) Does anyone know what restaurant was there?

I believe that would be La Tour d'Argent. The Rainbow Lodge moved to the same location.

I think you're referring to L'Tour d'Argent, but I stand to be corrected.

I don't post a lot, but this is one of my favorite forums. Having a dad for a city councilman for 30 years, I got to hit a lot of Houston's best (not necessarily expensive) restaurants with him and my family, and I always love it when we get to recall some of the great places to eat in Houston:

Kaphan's(one of the first restaurants to integrate, according to my father). Pete Tomac and George(the host, Greek gentleman, if I remember right) always greeted us on Sunday's, and had the best, old school waiters and waitresses, not to mention, some of dad's(and others) sports memorabilia in the front.

Chesterfield's-this was(is?) in the basement of the Bank One(?), and was run by Gus Kanakis, I believe, and had excellent lamb shanks-does anyone remember it?

Hickory Stick-on Winkler near Gulfgate. Another after-church stop.

Guy's Meat Market-always went with dad to get meat & bbq-is it still around?

Uncle John's Pancake House-was on OST, I think.

Rudy's-owned by Rudy and Joe Lucia, and it was across the street from the original Tony's on Post Oak, and had better Lobster Bisque than Tony's, imo.

Joe Matranga's-on Irvington. Best southern Italian in town. Joe is still kicking at St. Dominic's. He used to give away jars of his homemade pasta sauce at Christmas.

Polynesian- Albert Gee's place if I remember right, and perhaps the first Asian food of any kind for me, 5-6 yrs old.

Bobo's-another Chinese restaurant owned by on of dad's friends, Bobo Lang. It was out Westheimer, maybe around Gessner?

I don't think we ever looked at a menu here-he would just start bringing stuff out.

Tokyo Gardens-Is this place still there? I went to many a prom/homecoming/high school dinner here( 1977).

Monterrey House-probably pretty crappy when compared to today's Tex-Mex, but at least it got me hooked on Tex-Mex. I still have not seen the brown sugar candy that was at the bottom of the chip basket anywhere as good. I think they evolved into Monterrey's for a while, but, hopefully, they are gone for good.

Wyatt's Cafeteria-breaded veal cutlet w/brown gravy. No salad, thanks. (Remember those cool conveyor belts that took away the dirty dishes?)

I'm sure I've got more, but that's all for now!

Frank

Having a dad for a city councilman for 30 years, .........

Frank

I'm betting that would be Frank M-------, former major league ballplayer and brother of Gus (both catchers, I think). I remember them from my youth, when St. Louis had an AL and an NL team.

I'm betting that would be Frank M-------, former major league ballplayer and brother of Gus (both catchers, I think). I remember them from my youth, when St. Louis had an AL and an NL team.

wow - if that's so, then there's also a local branch library named after him

That's him. Last time I was around the library on Bellfort it was getting a face lift.

Dad played with The Houston Buffs, St. Louis Browns (44 World Series-he's only one of two still alive from that team!), and the Senators, and Gus played from 1928-1945 with St. Louis, Cubs, NY Giants, Brooklyn, and Philly, and was in 5 World Series.

I believe that would be La Tour d'Argent. The Rainbow Lodge moved to the same location.

That's it! I knew someone here would know it. I had not been back in that area for some time and a few weeks ago I found myself driving down T.C.Jester towards 610. I saw the Rainbow Lodge and thought that the place looked a bit familiar but honestly, I thought La Tour d'Argent was more "off the road".

My family and I used to eat at a place called Bill Williams. I think it was on OST and also a place called Bill Bennets in downtown Houston. I guess they had a thing for Bill places. I myself liked nothing better than a cheese burger from Reddigs Ice Cream Shop on Wayside. Or the shrimp basket from Princes on Wayside.

My family and I used to eat at a place called Bill Williams. I think it was on OST and also a place called Bill Bennets in downtown Houston. I guess they had a thing for Bill places. I myself liked nothing better than a cheese burger from Reddigs Ice Cream Shop on Wayside. Or the shrimp basket from Princes on Wayside.

Look around - there are some pictures on HAIF of Bill Williams on both Main and OST, and I think Reddigs as well.

The Green Parrot in Houston was owned and run by Vera Fredericks and her sister. When the extension for 59 went in, they lost the property. They were famous for their congelled pear salad, french dressing and fried chicken. They sold the recipes to a Houston restauranteur who opened it up again out on Bellaire Blvd as well as the KC and St. Louis locations. This, too, closed. Ms Fredericks sister started doing the menu again in the late 70s twice a week at the restaurant in the River Oaks. A true Houston institution along with the Confederate House--whose menu was developed by Helen Corbett who went on to the Zodiac Room in Dallas at N-M, as well as Herman Brenner's steakhouse which is still in existence? Does anyone remember Pier 21 and Kapan's?

Many years ago my grandfather talked about a restaurant called the San Jacinto Inn (I think that what it was called). He said that they had big meals and was very popular. If I'm right about the name, is that restaurant still around?

Before McDonalds came to town there was drive inn hamberger place a lot like Princes off the corner of 610 and South Park(MLK) also called McDonalds. I always heard that is why we did not have the fast food variety of Mcds in Houston. There is a McDs in its spot now.

joe

I went to a restaurant in Kemah in 1969, but I don't remember the name. It might have had the word captain or club in the name, but I just can't think of it. Does anyone know?

Could it have been Captain Wicks. It is a buffet type seafood place and is still in operation on the Seabrook side of the channel.

joe

Many years ago my grandfather talked about a restaurant called the San Jacinto Inn (I think that what it was called). He said that they had big meals and was very popular. If I'm right about the name, is that restaurant still around?

No unfortunatly the San Jacinto Inn is long gone. It was located right next to the Battleship Texas across the road from the San Jacinto monument. They were a family style resturant that brought out plates of food as you requested them and would keep bringing it till you were full. They had fried shrimp, fried oysters, fried chicken, the best biscuits in the world and most of the time straberry shortcake for dessert. It was one price for the meal and as I said you ate till you were full. My family loved that place and were sad to see it close.

Yep, Albert Gee owned the Poly-Asian and sold it to a Mr Chin. There's some discussion about it in the '50s Medcenter topic. Gee also owned another restaurant called Ding How that was on Main north of Holcombe. Oddly enough, there is an Albert Gee restaurant knick-knack in the display case at Hunan Village on Shepherd, so I think that might be connected with his family.

That is the sight of another long gone restaurant Alfies Fish and Chips.

joe

Edited by texianjoe

No unfortunatly the San Jacinto Inn is long gone. It was located right next to the Battleship Texas across the road from the San Jacinto monument. They were a family style resturant that brought out plates of food as you requested them and would keep bringing it till you were full. They had fried shrimp, fried oysters, fried chicken, the best biscuits in the world and most of the time straberry shortcake for dessert. It was one price for the meal and as I said you ate till you were full. My family loved that place and were sad to see it close.

The San Jacinto Inn is gone but the Monument Inn has the same all you can eat deal. Look about half way down the menu.

Monument Inn

joe

i have been meaning to go to the monument inn - when did the san jacinto inn close?

it's funny how on the menu, under "lighter fare," there's a picture of a cheeseburger :D

I don't remember exactly but its been quit a few years. The old Monument Inn was next to the battleship, it burnt down. The new Monument in is next to the ferry landing where the old San Jacinto Inn used to be. There are tables next to a row of windows that face the channel, its a fun view. They take a beating when I go on the raw oysters alone.

joe