Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

SunKing,

I couldn't agree more. I've lived in Houston (with a 5 year stint in College Station) my whole life. Chuy's is one of my favorites here in Houston and the #2 Combo is one of the 2 plates I choose most often. I also love the Southwestern Enchiladas with the fried egg on top. Some of their sauces give it a little more "Southwestern-Mex" feel, but everything I have tried has been good. My top choices for fajitas is Pappasitos (most tender meat) and Lupe Tortillas (lime marinated beef) which are very different, but both very good IMO.

The rice and beans at these places are terrible. Ninfa's gets the nod in my book for their grilled items only.

Oh, toll the bell for Guggie's! Their Pastrami was wonderful, the pickles passable, the only Knishes my NYC husband would eat in the hinterlands and real New York style fabulous Cheesecake (no crust or crumbs). And you could pick your own topping for the Cheesecake.

After we moved up here to North Texas, unable to find any edible Deli foods, I sent the alarm and money to Houston folks who were coming for a visit. I implored them to bring a C.A.R.E. package from Guggenheim's. They arrived empty handed, swearing they had rushed right over and found it closed. There was no joy in Arlington that day.

Oh, toll the bell for Guggie's! Their Pastrami was wonderful, the pickles passable, the only Knishes my NYC husband would eat in the hinterlands and real New York style fabulous Cheesecake (no crust or crumbs). And you could pick your own topping for the Cheesecake.

After we moved up here to North Texas, unable to find any edible Deli foods, I sent the alarm and money to Houston folks who were coming for a visit. I implored them to bring a C.A.R.E. package from Guggenheim's. They arrived empty handed, swearing they had rushed right over and found it closed. There was no joy in Arlington that day.

The absolute best Ruben I ever had. And the Cheesecakes were to die for. Oh well no more!!!!!!!!!!! Ghulam Bombaywala, an immigrant from Pakistan started Guggenheims. 

Edited by Mark F. Barnes

I thought Pappamia had the best pizza I ever had - that is until I ate at Colina's in The Heights. Pappamia had two locations - I-10 between West Belt and Gessner and Richmond near Hilcroft. Like other Pappas restaurants, the dishes were large, delicious and reasonably priced. Their Greek salad was the best around.

There used to be a good steak house on Shepherd near Pinemont called Ducho's. It was normally crowded, but it seemed to be known mainly by folks in the area.

I thought Pappamia had the best pizza I ever had - that is until I ate at Colina's in The Heights. Pappamia had two locations - I-10 between West Belt and Gessner and Richmond near Hilcroft. Like other Pappas restaurants, the dishes were large, delicious and reasonably priced. Their Greek salad was the best around.

There used to be a good steak house on Shepherd near Pinemont called Ducho's. It was normally crowded, but it seemed to be known mainly by folks in the area.

Duchos is closed? The place had been there forever.

I think Ducho's has been closed for over 10 years now. It was about 10 years ago that I went out to the meat market (B&W?) out that way, and I noticed they were no longer there.

I don't have a clue why Pappamia didn't make it given the quality of the food there.

I keep waiting for Pappas to open a Japanese restaurant. It would, of course, be called Pappasan!

I think Ducho's has been closed for over 10 years now. It was about 10 years ago that I went out to the meat market (B&W?) out that way, and I noticed they were no longer there.

Ducho's has only been closed since February 2003 - the last year or so they were open, the expense of running the restaurant was apparently getting out of hand compared to the business they were doing, so Mr. Ducho decided to retire. The building was sold to some folks that converted it into a church.

Ducho's used to front right onto N. Shepherd, at Heidrich St., but at some point in the past they relocated to the building behind the one that currently faces Shepherd. This is why their large neon sign was right at Shepherd and Heidrich - it used to be in the parking lot of the original location. You may have been remembering the original location when you thought they were gone, but I thought the move happened longer than 10 years ago.

I really miss Ducho's - I used to go there with my parents when I was a kid, and many years later I rediscovered it after a very long absence. For the next couple of years until it closed, my wife and I ate there semi-regularly, and even reintroduced my parents to it as well. Can't begrudge Mr. Ducho's decision to close, though; he had a great run for 38 years, and I have to admit that in the restaurant's twilight days I rarely saw anything like the crowds I remember packed in there in the late 60s/early 70s - more often it would be just us and maybe a couple of other tables of diners.

Interesting trivia: "Ducho" is pronounced "DOO-ho", with a silent "c". Wonder how many people have pronounced it "DOO-cho" or "DUTCH-oh" over the years?

Edited by mkultra25

Why would Pappamia close?

They Pappas Group does not have an italian restuarant in their portfolio now.

We have so many relatively good Italian restaurants that competition is more fierce. The few times i went there it was ok, not great.

Interesting trivia: "Ducho" is pronounced "DOO-ho", with a silent "c". Wonder how many people have pronounced it "DOO-cho" or "DUTCH-oh" over the years?

what nationality was the owner? in spanish the name makes you lose your appetite, maybe that's why the "c" sound was omitted.

Edited by musicman

• 2 weeks later...
I knew all the others already mentioned......(oldest first i think)

Ranger Drive in on Telephone

Metranga's

Pipeorgan Pizza

chichi's

"Dip Fries" at the Ranger!

Oggero's on Bellfort

Neiman Marcus - Sky Terrace

LC Cafeteria - Downtown

Valian's - S. Main

Bill Williams Drivein - Downtown

Pig Stand

Uncle John's Pancake House

Loma Linda Mexican Food

El Patio

Albert Gee's Polynesian - South Main

Vicki's DriveIn - Pasadena

Corral DriveIn - Pasadena

Burger Chef - Bellfort

Mading's Drug Store (Fountain) - South Park

Pino's - by U of H Central

Sizzler Steakhouse

Bonanza Steakhouse

Chuckwagon Hamburgers - O.S.T.

How about Gallaghers Old Irish Steak House? I believe it was a chain similar to Steak & Ale with at least two locations - one on 45N around Tidwell and one on 59S.

The 76 Truckstop at Rankin Rd had pretty good CFS ( at least it seemed so at 2am and 3 sheets to the wind) and was open 24hrs. I think it was gone by the mid-80's after being overrun with drug dealers and ladies of the night.

Wait.....it's coming back to me now. The fog is lifting. Yes, I remember now. I used to work for the people who owned Fat Ernie's in Allen Center. Ernie Criezis (sp) owned it with his wife Toni. They had the Bowery downtown and La Bastile, the nightclub. They also had Harlow's (remember, it stayed open after hours and had long lines for the deli style sandwiches?) and The Great Caurso, which was near Gessner and Westheimer. Also, Good Eats Cafe which was on Woodway. Ernie also had The Great Greek with his brother, Spiro. I destroyed many brain cells in those places. How 'bout the clubs that are no longer with us? Bogangles on Market Square. The Bismark. Texas Steak House with Boyce and Kramer. More brain cells gone...........what were we talking about?

Hey man, this is Chris Criezis, no kidding. They had built up quite an empire allright. My favorite was the Bastille, had plenty of chances to get in trouble there when I was a kid, I remember working the sandwich counter when I was like 14/ 15, and had all the beer, wine, and liquor I could ever want right in the walkin cooler (when my parents werent looking), and I would make enough money selling sandwiches directly to customers and pocketing the proceeds. Funniest thing was, they thought they were getting 'free' labor with me working the sandwich counter, what they didnt know didnt hurt them. And the chicks...ahh yes, man it was great to be a kid around then, I dont know what kid gets to live that kind of nightlife.

That was the life, at least for that time period. Ernie (my dad) passed away in 1996 and Toni Renee, supposedly is a recluse living off an island in France but I doubt she is still alive. They really breathed life into Houston and built up quite an empire while it lasted. I believe the Great Caruso is still standing, last owner was Spero, dont know if he still owns it or if its even still there.

• 3 weeks later...
A couple of very nice restaurants, that I doubt any here would remember, were Hebert's (pronounced A-bear's) and the Green Parrot. I'm talking 40's - 50's time-frame. Hebert's was in an old house, built in 1904, and was located at the southeast corner of San Jacinto and McGowen. Hebert's food specialty was French, New Orleans style cooking, along with excellent steaks and fresh seafood prepared a variety of ways. The Green Parrot was also in an old house located a few blocks east of Almeda in the MacGregor/Riverside area. Its specialty was southern style, home-cooking. They served delicious fried chicken, cat fish, shrimp, meat loaf, etc., along with beans, green beans, turnip greens, and salads. Dessert fare was homemade pies and cakes.
Green Parrot:

89_1_b.JPG

They were a popular restaurant out of Kansas City with a location there, St. Louis, and Houston.

Very famous for their fried chicken.

The Green Parrot in Houston was owned and run by Vera Fredericks and her sister. When the extension for 59 went in, they lost the property. They were famous for their congelled pear salad, french dressing and fried chicken. They sold the recipes to a Houston restauranteur who opened it up again out on Bellaire Blvd as well as the KC and St. Louis locations. This, too, closed. Ms Fredericks sister started doing the menu again in the late 70s twice a week at the restaurant in the River Oaks. A true Houston institution along with the Confederate House--whose menu was developed by Helen Corbett who went on to the Zodiac Room in Dallas at N-M, as well as Herman Brenner's steakhouse which is still in existence? Does anyone remember Pier 21 and Kapan's?

Dinner Bell Cafetiria: My Great Aunt lived on Pearson off Broadmoore and this was where she bought all her cakes, our favorite was German Chocolate.

Hickory Stick Bar-b-que run by Charlie West and we ate there all the time. The Mother of a good friend from my childhood worked there. Now it's Lowes parking lot.

There was an Italian restaraunt tucked in the woods right across the street from the Hickory Stick and its long since gone, so are the woods.

Franks Grill on Telephone: Still open and going strong right next door to the liquor store that has been there just about as long as Franks.

The Tel Wink Grill: Still open as of the last time I drove by although they are not open 24 hrs like they once were.

Sheffields Ice House/ Beer Joint. Still there at the bend in Telephone Road. THis was my Fathers hang out for over 30 years.

Turks Bar-b-que. Another of my Fathers hang outs for shooting pool. On Long Drive just west of Telephone Road.

The corner of Bellfort and Telephone was one of my favorite places because there was a Duncan Donuts right next to a Der Weinerschnitzel. Both are gone and a used car lot sits there now.

This is a great thread....bringing back a lot of memories.

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this...

A couple of my friends and I were discussing the old Night Hawk restaurants - there were several in Austin that have closed in the past decade or so.

One friend, though, claims that there was once one in Houston. He thinks it may have been located on the corner of Fondren and Westheimer, where there is now a bank of some sort.

Does this ring a bell?

This is a great thread....bringing back a lot of memories.

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this...

A couple of my friends and I were discussing the old Night Hawk restaurants - there were several in Austin that have closed in the past decade or so.

One friend, though, claims that there was once one in Houston. He thinks it may have been located on the corner of Fondren and Westheimer, where there is now a bank of some sort.

Does this ring a bell?

Yes there was a Nighthawk here and it was on Westheimer around that intersection or further out near Gessner; I'm not sure of the exact location. It was only briefly in the 70s. I think it became one of the original Atchafalaya River Cafes when the blackened seafood craze hit. There was also a Nighthawk in SA.

The only thing left of Harry Akins' old Nighthawk restaurants is the Frisco Shop on Burnet Rd. in Austin which is like a time warp and the frozen entrees at the grocery store.

Edited by brucesw

Thanks for your response about Night Hawk.

I think you're right - it may have been at the Atchafalaya/Landry's location on Westheimer.

I believe that The Frisco Shop in Austin is closing soon, too. I remember somebody mentioning that to me the last time I ate there a few months ago. Really a shame.

Thanks for your response about Night Hawk.

I think you're right - it may have been at the Atchafalaya/Landry's location on Westheimer.

I believe that The Frisco Shop in Austin is closing soon, too. I remember somebody mentioning that to me the last time I ate there a few months ago. Really a shame.

Yes I think that Atchafalaya did become a Landry's; I had forgotten about that.

Sad news about the Frisco. It's been several years since I ate there. Will have to try to get out to Austin soon for a Frisco burger and a Top Chop't steak -- used to love those (and the frozen Top Chop't steaks don't compare).

OK, here's one I'm not sure if anyone will remember. The old Westwood Mall on 59 near Bissonnet...before it was remodeled into the neon thing it was before it became an office park. There used to be this convoluted series of steps in the main entrance and at the bottom was this place called "Olga's" something or other...they served these sandwiches that were sort of pita wraps, before their time. They were really really good. Used to eat there with my Mom everytime we went to that mall.

Anyone remember?

If you like seafood AND are old enough, you might remember:

1. Jimmy Walkers (now Landry's in Kemah)

2. The San Jacinto Inn (near Battleship Texas)

3. Tomek's (we'll make the location a trivia question).

Tomek's was a steakhouse on Old Galveston Road (about where Loop 610 crosses over) and was in a log cabin type structure. The steaks were great and Mr. Tomek provided his own steak sauce in little pitchers(kind of like cream servers). His cousin or nephew was Pete Tomek who owned and operate Kaphan's on South Main and Kirby up until it closed. My family and relatives had many after church dinners there.

A few other restaurants now gone are:

The Las Vegas Inn on Telephone Road and Post Oak Road

Ship Ahoy on South Main

Youngblood's Fried Chicken(Numerous locations all over Texas)

Bertha's Mexican Restaurant(first in Pasadena,then South Main, McKinney(downtown)

and lastly on Montrose

Aunt Bea's Cafe on Broadway

The Clear Creek Inn in Kemah

Elliott's Steak House on Almeda

Manuel's Seafood on the Seawall at 61st St.

And many more....... my family ate our a lot.

Strawberry Patch on Westheimer and Mason Jar. I don't know if there are ANY Mason Jars left - there was one in Clear Lake for a very short time. It has changed hands at least 4 times now.

There's still a Mason Jar on I-10 near Bunker Hill - I think the Houston original. I remember Strawberry Patch -YUM! I think that is where Pappas Bros. Steakhouse is now.