Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

What about these?

Cellar Door (now Goode Co)

Velvet Turtle (my favorite - saw it mentioned, but thought of it again)

Farrell's

Shoney's

Don's Seafood

Alfred's (mentioned but LOVED)

Hillmans (Kemah)

Hill's Seafood (Galveston)

And a question - started University of Houston in 1973. There was a burger place across the street from the main campus that you would place your order by phone and they brought it to you. The little character looked a lot like the guy on the Pringle's can.

And a second question - does anyone but me remember the bowling alley and other things on the third floor of the original Galleria? Does that club on the top floor of the oldest hotel still exist? They made Hurricanes that would knock out a prize fighter!

Does anyone remember "Across the Street" hamburger place? You sat down at a table and ordered your food from your table with a telephone thing. Then when your order was ready, it would blink. You would then go pick up your food at the counter. Don't really remember what street it was off of but we walked across a patch of ground by Baptist U off of Beachnut St.

I forgot about Los Tios. We ate there a lot. Think it was off of Bissonett. Also, remember Gemco? One of the first places that you had to have a membership to shop there.

What about these?

Cellar Door (now Goode Co)

Can anyone help me remember a "fancy" restaurant somewhere near the medical center.

maybe off OST and Greenbriar. not exactly sure.

I remember going there with my parents in the early 70's

had a name like the Cellar or similar. It could have been the Cellar Door (see above) but i am not sure about the Goode company location.

I think it had those one-way tire spikes in the parking lot, where you can't go out the in driveway etc.

That might be why it stood out to me as a kid.

Can anyone help me remember a "fancy" restaurant somewhere near the medical center.

maybe off OST and Greenbriar. not exactly sure.

I remember going there with my parents in the early 70's

had a name like the Cellar or similar. It could have been the Cellar Door (see above) but i am not sure about the Goode company location.

I think it had those one-way tire spikes in the parking lot, where you can't go out the in driveway etc.

That might be why it stood out to me as a kid.

Could it be Christie's? It was a fancy seafood restaurant in the Medical Center area.

I'll try to think of some more. Kapahan's wasn't quite there, but it definitely was FANCY.

Don't be sorry for posting, we like that!

I didn't Know Houston had Steak N Shake,

And I thought I remembered White Castle.

There was a steak n shake on Kirby between alabama and richmond, I think. in the mid 1970s. I used to eat there regularly.

Marini's Empanada House early-mid 70's - on Westheimer near 'the curve' just before the Tower Theater - my introduction to empanadas, they had meat, vegetable, and dessert versions that were wonderful (seems like they had a location way out Westheimer much later on)

Udder Delight early-mid 70's - ice cream place next to Marini's, my lil sis knew the guys. Still remember the day we got the call to come try out their new Avocado ice cream (it sucked large, they had to put too much lime juice in to keep it from turning brown)

La Bodega Bar / Harvst Moon Cafe early-mid 70's - @ Fairview & ??? - La Bodega was downstairs, wine bar, had stunning wood walls done by Yost & Company. Harvest Moon was upstairs, great veggie place

Sonny Look's Steakhouse on S Main?? - with the honey- and garlic-flavored butters, maybe more. You couldn't have a junior high or high school athletic banquet in that part of town without having it at Look's back then!

Zappos Sandwiches on Beechnut across from Meyerland Plaza - a Schlotzky's knock-off, but I thought their buns were better!

Marini's Empanada House early-mid 70's - on Westheimer near 'the curve' just before the Tower Theater - my introduction to empanadas, they had meat, vegetable, and dessert versions that were wonderful (seems like they had a location way out Westheimer much later on)

Udder Delight early-mid 70's - ice cream place next to Marini's, my lil sis knew the guys. Still remember the day we got the call to come try out their new Avocado ice cream (it sucked large, they had to put too much lime juice in to keep it from turning brown)

La Bodega Bar / Harvst Moon Cafe early-mid 70's - @ Fairview & ??? - La Bodega was downstairs, wine bar, had stunning wood walls done by Yost & Company. Harvest Moon was upstairs, great veggie place

Marinis was my introduction to empamadas too. Early 70s. Been dissapointed ever since with others.

La Bodega for breakfast and Harvest Moon for dinner. I used to work at Hobbit Hole on Shepard, and some of the waitresses also worked at Harvest Moon.

Sonny Look's Steakhouse on S Main?? - with the honey- and garlic-flavored butters, maybe more. You couldn't have a junior high or high school athletic banquet in that part of town without having it at Look's back then!

Zappos Sandwiches on Beechnut across from Meyerland Plaza - a Schlotzky's knock-off, but I thought their buns were better!

Marini's Empanada House is now open again in Katy. The corner of Mason and Wesheimer Parkway. It's still family run and owned by one of the sons.

I also missed the big "gun toting" shrimp from Angelo's Fisherman's Wharf

Does anyone remember when Rons fried chicken was here?

I remember "Village Inn Pizza" watching the "Rhodes Kids" perform.

Furr's - gone. The last one in H-town was on I-45 past Aldine High on the right as you head north. The AYCE buffet was good eats for the money, but I'd never get a second helping anyway. Furr's still has one open location in Corpus Christi and several (AFAIK) in the DFW area too.

There used to be a chain of places called Sweden House when I was little, that offered "smorgasbord" style dining - basically cafeteria-style service specializing in (gag) Swedish food. They were kind of a flash-in-the-pan concept in WI and IL, of course cafeteria-style dining didn't seem too popular up north anyway. By the mid-70s they faded out completely.

Steak houses like Ponderosa did okay up north (I have an uncle who managed them for many years). Ponderosa's were like the Bonanza chain down here, like Golden Corral is today.

Who remembers York Steak House? I worked at one briefly in Gunspoint when I was in high school, steaks were okay but it sucked to work there. They closed about a year or so after I quit.

Houlihan's in Gunspoint was a cool place, I miss it. Across from Houlihan's was a place called Dalt's, which was a TGIFriday's copied concept actually started up by a couple of TGIFriday's managers who worked at the Gunspoint store. Had they chosen a location in another part of Houston it might have survived longer than it did.

El Chico's in H-town - gone. The Huntsville location is still open, but they've pulled out of Houston entirely. I worked at the Gunspoint location before the chain pulled out. The Cuellar family who founded it bought it back from a company called Campbell-Taggart who originally bought it from them. C-T produced a line of frozen enchilada dinners with the same EC name, and eventually began pushing the same exact thing in the restaurants. When people found out they were paying $6 at the restaurant for the same enchilada dinner they could have bought at the grocery store for $1.98, they lost money big time. C-T couldn't recover, the Cuellar's bought back the restaurant chain for half as much as they sold it to C-T and tried to rescue it. They would have succeeded, had it not been for getting sued by the family of a deceased victim of an underage drunk driver, who left the Northwest mall location intoxicated.

Picadilly Cafeterias are becoming rare. There's one still open on West Bellfort between South Gessner and Fondren, and I won't be back. Went to the Picadilly at Northline in the mid-90s, one of the better-run locations I'd ever been to, the one in Gunspoint was always good and I used to be a regular there. Don't know if it's open any longer.

The only Alfie's Fish & Chips still in existence near Houston is in Texas City, that I found in a Yahoo search. The last one I had been to was on Crosstimbers across from Northline in the late '80s, which I'm certain has long since been closed.

Gatti's for sure is still around I know in Clear Lake. Also still in Rice near the stadium last I saw.

there's also a mr. gatti's in tomball.

Panjo's Pizza at Town & Country

The Hot Biscuit in Humble, TX

Farrell's in the Galleria

The Magic Pan in the Galleria

El Fenix in the Galleria

TimmyChan's, I used to go to the Tumbleweed with my parents!! I loved it, because I got to dance with my dad a lot!!

That's all I can remember for now!

i remember magic pan and farrell's. it was a huge deal to drive in from conroe for birthday's and holiday shopping. good memories.

Furr's - gone. The last one in H-town was on I-45 past Aldine High on the right as you head north. The AYCE buffet was good eats for the money, but I'd never get a second helping anyway. Furr's still has one open location in Corpus Christi and several (AFAIK) in the DFW area too.

There used to be a chain of places called Sweden House when I was little, that offered "smorgasbord" style dining - basically cafeteria-style service specializing in (gag) Swedish food. They were kind of a flash-in-the-pan concept in WI and IL, of course cafeteria-style dining didn't seem too popular up north anyway. By the mid-70s they faded out completely.

Steak houses like Ponderosa did okay up north (I have an uncle who managed them for many years). Ponderosa's were like the Bonanza chain down here, like Golden Corral is today.

Who remembers York Steak House? I worked at one briefly in Gunspoint when I was in high school, steaks were okay but it sucked to work there. They closed about a year or so after I quit.

Houlihan's in Gunspoint was a cool place, I miss it. Across from Houlihan's was a place called Dalt's, which was a TGIFriday's copied concept actually started up by a couple of TGIFriday's managers who worked at the Gunspoint store. Had they chosen a location in another part of Houston it might have survived longer than it did.

El Chico's in H-town - gone. The Huntsville location is still open, but they've pulled out of Houston entirely. I worked at the Gunspoint location before the chain pulled out. The Cuellar family who founded it bought it back from a company called Campbell-Taggart who originally bought it from them. C-T produced a line of frozen enchilada dinners with the same EC name, and eventually began pushing the same exact thing in the restaurants. When people found out they were paying $6 at the restaurant for the same enchilada dinner they could have bought at the grocery store for $1.98, they lost money big time. C-T couldn't recover, the Cuellar's bought back the restaurant chain for half as much as they sold it to C-T and tried to rescue it. They would have succeeded, had it not been for getting sued by the family of a deceased victim of an underage drunk driver, who left the Northwest mall location intoxicated.

Picadilly Cafeterias are becoming rare. There's one still open on West Bellfort between South Gessner and Fondren, and I won't be back. Went to the Picadilly at Northline in the mid-90s, one of the better-run locations I'd ever been to, the one in Gunspoint was always good and I used to be a regular there. Don't know if it's open any longer.

The only Alfie's Fish & Chips still in existence near Houston is in Texas City, that I found in a Yahoo search. The last one I had been to was on Crosstimbers across from Northline in the late '80s, which I'm certain has long since been closed.

wow, i'd forgotten all of these places. i was disappointed when dalt's closed. i liked the retro interior and burgers.

anyone remember "bobby mcgee's" near aldine-bender? the waitstaff dressed like different characters.

Before you die you have to go up to Dallas and eat a real hamberger at Keller's Drive-in. This is a hands down real live burger joint. Now days every fast-food joint has a drive-through window. But Keller's still likes to keep things old-fashioned. Park your car, click on your blinkers and wait for a friendly carhop. Place your order, roll up your window a tad and wait for that tray to arrive. Five bucks and change gets you a double-meat cheeseburger, Tater Tots with melted cheese and a drink (and you'll tip the server if ya got any class). The burgers are first-rate and I mean first-rate, but the real charm here is obvious: You get to sit in your car and chow down without worrying about a mishap on the open road. The serve ice cold cold beer, and even have frosted mugs. We go up to Dallas, hit Keller's then on the way back hit the Galaxy drive-in in Ennis and checkout a movie. Keller's has street rod night's and that's when I really get to play. I take my '59 vette or 67 rs/ss up for that, life doesn't get any better than that. Back before there was a Sonic, there was Keller's. I use to hang out in Dallas when I was younger, and Keller was there in the 60's. I think they opened in '54 or '55. Keller's and the "Pig Stand" was the place to be on a Friday night cruise. I think Pig Stand was around in the 1920's. The Drive-In I think was the first in the nation or so they use to boast, There use to be a Pig Stand down on Washington Ave in Houston, but it was a sit down joint. I think it's still there, I know they have a couple still in the Alamo City.

PigStand-Sign.jpg

But you really have to hit Keller's, hands down best burger ever. This is a fun place to go, eat and watch the "car show". If you like classic hot rods and good burgers try Kellers. You can't beat what you get for the price. A burger, fries or tots and drink for way under 6.00. They have a good variety on the menu.

Good service, even when they are really busy. You can also have a beer with your burger. Saturday nights best time to go and catch the action. They have been in business for over 50 years! Check it out!

KELLER'S DRIVE IN

6537 E. Northwest Highway

Dallas, TX 75228

214-368-1209

or

10554 HARRY HINES BLVD

DALLAS, TX 75220

Phone: 214-357-3572

I highly recommend the #5 Double meat Double Cheese Lg fry and a Ice Cold Bud.........Life is really good then.

Edited by Mark F. Barnes

Las Brasas on Kukendall south of FM 1960. In the early-mid 80s they were my family's Friday night ritual. Awesome fajitas, always came with sauteed mushrooms, my parents say they had the best margaritas ever, and the atmosphere of the place was the best of any mexican restaurant. The building was a stand-alone structure, with mostly open field all around it on both sides of the street. Inside it had many different rooms all themed on an interior mexican hacienda. My brothers and I would "go to the bathroom" and actually walk around exploring it.

Magic Pan Creperie in the Galleria

Harry's Kenya, near the theatres downtown.

Edited by Reefmonkey

Furrs Cafeteria, Wyatts Cafeteria, Picadilly Cafeteria, Allbritton Cafeteria.

Guess the cafeteria market kind of died out, huh? Even Luby's has closed many of their locations.

There are plenty of those all you can eat pig-out buffets around now to take up some of the slack, but I don't like those because I feel like I have to get my money's worth and usually end up overeating!

Furrs Cafeteria, Wyatts Cafeteria, Picadilly Cafeteria, Allbritton Cafeteria.

Guess the cafeteria market kind of died out, huh? Even Luby's has closed many of their locations.

Piccadilly isn't completely defunct, although they have closed some locations - the Northwest Mall location is closed, but the one at Northline is still open and seems to do quite a bit of business.

There used to be a Furr's in Deauville Plaza (I-45 and Dyna), but I'm not sure if they're still open.

I still can't get over the closure of Luby's #1 on Buffalo Speedway - given their location, I can't believe they weren't doing well. It used to be a regular stop for us when we lived a few blocks away from it. Some things are better and some are worse since Pappas acquired Luby's, but on the whole I think I preferred the old Luby's.

anyone remember "bobby mcgee's" near aldine-bender? the waitstaff dressed like different characters.

I do, that was a fun place. After it closed someone wanted to re-open it under the name Charley Ragg's but it never happened. I think the concept could be done again and be successful if someone savvy enough were to make the right decisions. Everything old is new again these days.

Even though it's only been gone a short time, I miss the original Antone's on Taft. The chain Antone's pale in comparison to the original locations. I don't even know how many 'original' stores exist.

There was one on OST and main, the Taft store, and another one around 390 and voss or bingle, somewhere. The OST and Taft stores were around for a long time, one of them since the 1940s. Antones blues club in Austin was another family venture, and the original restaurant is I believe the oldest one in the French Quarter, around since the 1840s. I make the poorboys myself, have for years, but I really miss the original stores.

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but...

Bambolino's Pizza.

The drive through pizza places with the little patios that had the best pizza and breadsticks in town and also had the best frozen lemonade.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm I used to frequent the Beechnut/Bissonett location.