Railway Heights: 8200 Washington Avenue

Urbannizer

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wish there was a proposal for putting in some kind of track crossing into cottage grove, because right now the site is really only accessible from Washington. If I lived in Cottage Grove I would love to walk or bike to something like this, but that becomes a lot less appealing if I have to go out of my way and take a pretty unappealing stretch of road.

Why on earth do they not align the access drive with the crossover?  As it is, this site can only be reached from westbound Washington - which makes getting to it from the actual Timbergrove or any points west a real PITA.

This is the 2nd proposed motorized parking garage I've seen in the last few months (the other on White Oak). Without that structured parking, all that park space would be a surface lot.

If these types of motorized parking structures take hold, it reduces the land value per sf at which it makes economic sense to go from surface to structured parking, and can potentially increase commercial density by a factor of 2x.

Yeah, I reside not too far from this project. Drive by it daily on my way home. They've been doing a lot of work on it already.  Manufactured Metal frame buildings like this are hard to modify, so its great they were able to get it done. 

I agree with the connection to cottage grove to the back side of this property. However, there are plans to eventually continue the white-oak bike trail along this rail spur and down to Memorial park. Perhaps it would connect with this. 

• 3 months later...
On 11/18/2018 at 0:06 AM, Texasota said:

Ok guys, this is literally not in the Heights. It is definitely *nowhere near* the "heart of the historic Houston Heights." Doubling down like that doesn't make it any more true.

"Historic" is just a bit of verbal seasoning that always seems to accompany the term "Houston Heights," much the same way "crumbling" always seems to accompany "infrastructure."

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm late to finding this topic but this has some similarities to the Legacy Hall concept in Frisco, TX.  My brother lives a block away from it so we went there back in January, very cool spot!  It's A-framed like this building and has three floors...first floor is a food hall with restaurants lining the outer perimeter, second floor has more seating, a couple bar areas and the third floor is a brewery/restaurant.  There is also an outdoor stage for live music and performances and you can view it from the second and third floors.  I'm excited for this to open now, it should be a pretty popular venue if done right.

16 minutes ago, brijonmang said:

I'm late to finding this topic but this has some similarities to the Legacy Hall concept in Frisco, TX.  My brother lives a block away from it so we went there back in January, very cool spot!  It's A-framed like this building and has three floors...first floor is a food hall with restaurants lining the outer perimeter, second floor has more seating, a couple bar areas and the third floor is a brewery/restaurant.  There is also an outdoor stage for live music and performances and you can view it from the second and third floors.  I'm excited for this to open now, it should be a pretty popular venue if done right.

On the topic of Legacy Hall:  Seventh Local Chef Exits Legacy Hall

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2019 at 11:45 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

• Company of Nomad's response:

The main purpose of this location was to find something centrally located yet underserved and relatively affordable piece of dirt that allowed us to charge the rents we’re able to charge in hopes of attracting mom and pops, local farmers, local artisans etc. When surveying location the behind the scenes numbers play a big part in making sure it’s a viable venture for everyone involved. This location is also actually very bike-able as there is a bike trail and bike station being built under the overpass. It’s an underserved area that has tons of development including over 1000 new luxury townhomes but not a lot of grocery stores, bars or restaurants. It’s centrally located with quick and easy access to Memorial, downtown, galleria, heights, montrose and Washington Military areas important for the guests coming from all over parts of town and beyond.

There is an off-street bike trail in the Houston Bike Plan that would run from the current end point of the MKT trail (White Oak bayou near TC Jester), along Southern Pacific right-of-way, past this site, then on to Memorial Park and beyond (the map shows it connecting to a planned off-street trail along Sims bayou, 6+ miles south of this site). While this is in the bike plan for eventual construction, this answer seems to imply it's already underway.

40 minutes ago, Angostura said:

There is an off-street bike trail in the Houston Bike Plan that would run from the current end point of the MKT trail (White Oak bayou near TC Jester), along Southern Pacific right-of-way, past this site, then on to Memorial Park and beyond (the map shows it connecting to a planned off-street trail along Sims bayou, 6+ miles south of this site). While this is in the bike plan for eventual construction, this answer seems to imply it's already underway.

I believe this was a project presented to HGAC by Houston TxDOT and it received funding for the FY2022. 

Link to full PDF of projects: http://www.h-gac.com/2018-call-for-projects/documents/2018-call-for-project-tpc-rankings.pdf

It was ranked #13. 

Edited by wilcal

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Railway Heights Market 8200 Washington Ave
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

It does. The last time I drove by this was May. Exterior work has come a long way since then. I want to see progress pictures of the interior.

I reside about 5 minutes from this development, I know the developers were on the local neighborhood facebook group scheduling and discussing a hard-hat tour a few days ago. If I see any photos online I'll bring them over.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

That would be awesome!

This development is going to be transformative. I love everything about this, most of all the possibility of shipping container apartments. Hopefully, Easy Park and Verde will build both multi-family residences and a boutique hotel on site. In the above posts, it's something that's on the table.

Yeah, I've been pretty impressed by this development.

Little structural engineering tidbit here. The original building is a pre-fab metal building. These buildings are common for warehouses and small factories. Now what makes them kind of interesting is that companies that manufacture these pre-fab metal buildings design them right up to the limits of the code: At the time of construction. This is important, because if a metal building was put up in 1980, the entire wind resisting system would have (likely) been designed right up to 99 percent utilization, in accordance to the code at the time. Fast forward to 2019. The Engineer would have been changing the wind profile of the building and changin the occupancy category. Two items that trigger and update of the wind resisting system of the building. For a building like this: That is expensive! 

I've had a few projects with these metal buildings that never got off the ground once the real costs started to dawn on owners. I think my favorite story with metal was when owners purchased a prefab metal building in 2002, but didnt build it. Then in 2018, tried to build it. CoH didnt allow the permit with drawings signed in sealed over a decade ago until it was validated under modern code provisions. I remember our fee to upgrade the building was sufficiently high that the owners elected to sell the old metal building to someone under less restrictive wind-code and just buy a brand new one.  

Anyway, long story short, neat and likely difficult project. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

This looks to be coming together nicely. 

Without a garage in phase I, I’m not sure how they would handle overflow. I don’t believe this is the type of location where you can just look for street parking. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Originally posted August 12, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 
retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, mostly what was posted on the first page last year (included earlier renderings, archived links to leasing brochures, and earlier reports of the project). However I was able to save pages 2 and 3 from this thread and will repost content that was shared previously from me.

Two food stalls restaurants announced this weekend for Railway Heights, opening in Houston at 8200 Washington Avenue.

The Grove Donutz & Deli

Can’t wait for spring 2019 . we are proud to open our second location at Railway Heights. We will keep you guys updated on when it will be open. Houston fans we are coming for you
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmWV6tGBi_s

Churrasco, a Halal Brazilian food truck

The new house for the churrasco is coming the next spring of 2019 
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmXAEpNnDRS

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Originally posted August 17, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 
retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, mostly what was posted on the first page last year (included earlier renderings, archived links to leasing brochures, and earlier reports of the project). However I was able to save pages 2 and 3 from this thread and will repost content I shared previously from those pages.

Another food stall announced for Railway Heights, opening in Houston at 8200 Washington Avenue:

Craft Burger

From Facebook:

Craft burger will have two Food Hall homes by the end of 2019.
https://www.facebook.com/craftburgerfoodtruck/photos/a.187659201568007/705572319776690

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Originally posted September 12, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 
retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, mostly what was posted on the first page last year (included earlier renderings, archived links to leasing brochures, and earlier reports of the project). However I was able to save pages 2 and 3 from this thread and will repost content I shared previously from those pages.

From Houston Business Journal:

Phi Nguyen of The Waffle Bus and The Pho Spot will be a tenant at Railway Heights, the Housotn food hall at 8200 Washington Ave.

He added that he’ll also be opening two concepts inside the upcoming Railway Heights Market, a massive culinary project that’s expected to debut in 2019 at 8200 Washington Ave.

...Meanwhile, at Railway Heights Market — a 3.6-acre development that will include a 40,000-square-foot warehouse filled with vendors selling food, art, jewelry and more — Nguyen will open an outpost of The Waffle Bus and a new concept called Seafood Kettle. This new eatery will cook meals in small, personal-sized kettles in front of guests.

The Waffle Bus' sales totaled about $956,000 last year, Nguyen said. He used his own savings to open the food truck as well as The Pho Spot, a concept inside downtown food hall Conservatory that he created with Danny Pham. However, to help finance the build-out of the Heights storefront and the upcoming stalls at Railway Heights Market, Nguyen said he plans to launch a crowdfunding campaign on Houston-based NextSeed in the next few weeks.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/09/12/waffle-bus-food-truck-owner-snags-lease-for-first.html

Originally posted December 19, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 

Houston food truck Casian King is opening a food stall at Railway Heights, 8200 Washington Ave. Casian King owners also own Moku Bar at Conservatory in downtown Houston.

And another food stall announcement for Railway Heights at 8200 Washington Ave. It's the food hall and market opening in Houston.

Hand Roll Bar will have a stall there.

From Eater Houston:

Hand Roll Bar, a brand new eatery devoted to temaki (or sushi hand rolls), is slated for the buzzy forthcoming Railway Heights development.

As Eater previously reported, Railway Heights is a project of Silent Theatre Group which also operates popular food halls Conservatory and much-anticipated Bravery Chef Hall. When it debuts at 8200 Washington Avenue in Timbergrove next year, Railway Heights will bring more than two dozen eateries to the area, along with a grocery store, beer garden, container farm, and farmer’s market in a 22,800 square foot space.

The newly announced addition Hand Roll Bar is from Tuan Tran, the mind behind Conservatory poke joint Moku Bar and Korean barbecue food truck Casian King. Menu details are scant at this point, but Hand Roll Bar’s Facebook page suggests that it will serve sushi-grade fish and seasoned warm rice wrapped in crispy sheets of nori with sauces that are made in-house. “[These are] not your typical hand rolls you see at any sushi joint,” the page reads. Hand rolls are picking up steam in Texas as a full-blown trend. As Eater recently reported, two Uchi-trained chefs will open Handies Douzo next year, in addition to recent hand roll arrivals in the Dallas area.

https://houston.eater.com/2018/12/19/18148947/sushi-hand-rolls-are-headed-to-the-exciting-railway-heights-food-destination

Originally posted December 19, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 

From Papercity this week:

Casian King

This crowning food truck achievement, running all around town for four years now, is all about the Vietnamese-Cajun style. You can find the eats in Timbergrove at the end of this year — owner Tuan Tran says it’s too soon to disclose the exact location of his new restaurant.

https://www.papercitymag.com/restaurants/houston-food-trucks-new-restaurants-victorian-barbecue-moku-bar/