President Reagan

Blue Dogs

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:19 AM, CaptainJilliams said:

^ Quite a loony post to make in response to a historic YouTube video. I don't get why every single little thing needs to be politicized to pieces these days, ridiculous to say the least.

This was posted (correctly) in the Way Off Topic section of HAIF. If you dislike controversy, or expect everyone to share your opinions then there are many other forums to enjoy.
BTW, referring to the tens of thousands who died of HIV/AIDS as "every single little thing" could get you slapped IRL. I suggest you adapt a more diplomatic tone.

8 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

This was posted (correctly) in the Way Off Topic section of HAIF. If you dislike controversy, or expect everyone to share your opinions then there are many other forums to enjoy.
BTW, referring to the tens of thousands who died of HIV/AIDS as "every single little thing" could get you slapped IRL. I suggest you adapt a more diplomatic tone.

I like how getting scolded to be "diplomatic" is used in the same breath as getting "slapped IRL".

And I love my phrase "every single little thing", referring exclusively to the video of Reagan visiting Japan, was immediately taken out of context, instead somehow being taken as an insult of those who died of HIV/AIDS, despite the fact I never made any direct nor indirect reference to such an atrocity. Keep up the good work in spreading misinformation.

5 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

And I love my phrase "every single little thing", referring exclusively to the video of Reagan visiting Japan, was immediately taken out of context

No, dear, you used an arrow to indicate, and directly referred to the post immediately above your own ("^Quite a loony post to make in response to a [sic] historic YouTube video."). Your remark was taken in context. As such, I should be forgiven for thinking you meant what you wrote.
I did not threaten to slap you. I was pointing out that in the real world words can have consequences. 

40 minutes ago, mollusk said:

Heaven forfend that anyone make a negative comment about St. Ronald of Santa Barbara, particularly one criticizing his politics.

sheez.

I disagree with a majority of Reagan's policies and actions. I went to a college that literally worshipped the man and it was unbearable, to say the least. It just bothers me that no one can post anything about history/political figures without attaching some kind of rant in response, regardless of whether or not it's accurate. It certainly didn't help I had to make this response on a Reagan post of all things. I guess that's what this section of the forum is for, so my bad.

30 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

No, dear, you used an arrow to indicate, and directly referred to the post immediately above your own ("^Quite a loony post to make in response to a [sic] historic YouTube video."). Your remark was taken in context. As such, I should be forgiven for thinking you meant what you wrote.
I did not threaten to slap you. I was pointing out that in the real world words can have consequences. 

My apologies,  I am a poor communicator.

2 hours ago, mollusk said:

Heaven forfend that anyone make a negative comment about St. Ronald of Santa Barbara, particularly one criticizing his politics.

sheez.

What's the process for decanonization these days? Is it similar to Lucifer getting cast out of Heaven into the abyss?

20 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

My apologies,  I am a poor communicator.

Thank you, CaptainJilliams. I sincerely appreciate it. 
I could have been nicer myself. We're experiencing a terrible breakdown of our society, and it's very difficult to not get swept up by the harsh rhetoric that seems to be the norm these days.

21 hours ago, mollusk said:

sheez.

His politics, and his mental condition, especially during his second term.
At the time, there was much speculation about whether his faculties were indeed intact. The tragic reality is that he was already suffering the effects of Alzheimer's, but his image was jealously guarded by his handlers (limiting his remarks to prepared statements, holding press conferences next to a running helicopter so he could feign deafness, etc.).
I said then and I say now: we do not know who was really running the country during those years, but it certainly wasn't Reagan.

May I please remind everyone in this thread to remain civil and have a courteous discussion with those you may disagree with without attacking them. I realize the topic of politics is heated, especially now, but we can still be polite to one another. Just a warning for any future comments here.

On 6/11/2018 at 9:56 PM, intencity77 said:

Why would I even want to remember a president who was first to engage the loony Christian Right, giving us the loony Republicans we see today and a president who ignored the AIDS crisis. No thanks!

I just watched a program on Channel 8 Monday night about the 50's & 60's laws & then Ronald Reagan's ghastly reasoning for the epidemic & his total disdain. Kind of a, they're reaping what they sow attitude. Kind of like what we're hearing from the guy in DC. I can't even say his name without having a case of the Coniption Fits. SMDH.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, Firebird65 said:

That's really sad you've let politics so impact your life. 

Responsible people realize that politics impact our lives on almost every level. When people stop caring, democracy dies.

3 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Responsible people realize that politics impact our lives on almost every level. When people stop caring, democracy dies.

It's one thing to keep up with and stay informed on political happenings in this country, state, county and city. Yes, that is being responsible. 

Having a "conniption fit" at the sound of someone's name is far from responsible. It's silly, at best. Actually, if that poster was being serious and not joking (and it's possible he was joking), it's something worse, but the mods did ask this be kept civil. 

• The title was changed to President Reagan

Archived