Sign in to follow this  
lockmat

Post Oak Shopping Center - Future Redevelopment

One day this shopping center will be redeveloped, so we may as well start this thread now.

My guess is they will hold out until there is very little or no other places to redevelop along Post Oak.

As of now, HCAD lists the the property valuation at $101 million. By comparison, an undeveloped block in the heart of downtown is $25 mil. Capitol Tower is listed as $125 mil. 

I can only imagine what they'll have to build to meet the land's value. As mentioned in the Galleria Green Space thread I started, I hope it includes a park. My personal dream is a north/south rectangular park abutting Post Oak about the same width as the parking lot, and maybe 1/2 to 3/4 the length, with highrises abutting directly up to a tree-lined walking path that runs along the edge of the park. The car entrances could be via an alley on the east side of the buildings.

20 years and another one or two cycles away?

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

I assume you mean the strip mall on the east side of Post Oak, just north of Westheimer.  Unless it's changed hands while I wasn't paying attention, I assume it is still owned by the Weingarten REIT, along with the property across the street where Sakowitz used to be.  Its interesting how they have kept these properties for so many decades, without developing them with higher density.  While I'm not a big fan of the dedicated bus lanes going in (but I do like the Boulevard Project aside from that), I wonder if it will make some higher-density redevelopment more attractive there. 

Edited by ArchFan

On a related note, I really think "they" (probably the Uptown TIRZ) should construct some safe ways for people to cross Westheimer between The Galleria and stuff on the north side of Westheimer. It's ridiculous (and quite unsafe) how people feel they have to run for their lives to cross Westheimer and and also navigate across the median landscaping.  The crosswalks at Post Oak and McCue are pretty far apart and many  people don't want to take long detours to use them.   I suppose the most practical solution would be an overhead walkway.  

Beyond that, as more development occurs on the other side (east) of 610, the need for safe pedestrian passage to there will only grow.  Currently, I seriously feel that I'm risking my life trying to make that crossing.  As a resident of the area, at least I know what I'm getting into when I cross there.  I worry even more about the out-of-town visitors who have to scurry through that gauntlet of crazy drivers.

Edited by ArchFan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ArchFan said:

I assume you mean the strip mall on the east side of Post Oak, just north of Westheimer.  Unless it's changed hands while I wasn't paying attention, I assume it is still owned by the Weingarten REIT, along with the property across the street where Sakowitz used to be.  Its interesting how they have kept these properties for so many decades, without developing them with higher density.  While I'm not a big fan of the dedicated bus lanes going in (but I do like the Boulevard Project aside from that), I wonder if it will make some higher-density redevelopment more attractive there. 

Its Tanglewood who owns it, I think HCAD records show they’ve owned it for decades.  But yeah you have the right place .

http://www.tanglewoodcorp.com/

Jim McIngvale, more widely known as Mattress Mack, told radio host Michael Berry this morning on KTRH that Gallery Furniture’s 30,000-sq.-ft. store at 2411 Post Oak Blvd. will close following the end of its lease in a year. “The traffic went down by half because they tore up the road,” said Mack, referring to the construction on the new Uptown BRT that now has the street peppered with blaze orange cones and barricades.

http://swamplot.com/gallery-furnitures-post-oak-location-will-close-next-year/2019-01-17/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/7/2018 at 11:57 AM, lockmat said:

One day this shopping center will be redeveloped, so we may as well start this thread now.

I was told Post Oak Shopping Center has been sold. The Container Store to Maggiano's.  A "city within a city" will be built.

Can anyone confirm the sale of this shopping center?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

I was told Post Oak Shopping Center has been sold. The Container Store to Maggiano's.  A "city within a city" will be built.

Can anyone confirm the sale of this shopping center?

Sounds exciting. Eventually, this shopping center will surely be redeveloped in a more dense fashion, whether by the current owner or a successor.

FWIW, there does not seem to be any transfer on the record so far.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2020 at 9:59 AM, tigereye said:

Kenny & Ziggy’s is relocating to the Luby’s space because Post Oak Shopping Center is being redeveloped. 

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-07-20-kenny-and-ziggys-deli-restaurant-new-location-lubys-cafeteria-1743-post-oak-san-felipe-ziggy-gruber/

Soon this will be moving to the “Going Up” forum. Today’s Chronicle article says this shopping center will be demolished. 

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Kenny-Ziggy-s-to-move-to-Luby-s-Cafeteria-Post-Oak-15472146.php?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow#photo-16055572

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tigereye said:

article says this shopping center will be demolished

I wonder where/if Dicks Sporting Goods and The Container Store will relocate. I know Gallery Furniture was wanting to leave/close anyways and Nieman's Last Call is likely on the way out since Niemans is closing almost all of their Last Call locations. I am excited to hear more in the future. 

• Like 1

Dicks could take over the whole right hand side of Lubys where Kenny and Ziggy's will go as that whole side is closed and empty except the furniture store which already has the new location they are just trying to liquidate what is at this location still. 

I think Container Store could fill in MAYBE somewhere in this plaza otherwise maybe rebuild where California Pizza Kitchen is closing or maybe in Uptown Park? (or even in the new build at Aspire? who knows...but so excited to see this all happening...and btw there is another very active thread on this plaza...

moderators maybe merge? 

• Like 1

The retail area beneath the parking garages at Post Oak Central has large vacancies and could be revitalized.  It  would be great to get some restaurants in there and would be a decent location for the educational supplies store, Whole Earth Products and the Container Store.  There should be sufficient parking available. 

• Thanks 1

Caught this as a throw-away line in yesterday's Houston Chronicle story about Kenny and Ziggy's moving out of their location on Post Oak to the Luby's location further down the street:

"Kenny & Ziggy’s announced on Friday that it will move to the former Luby’s Cafeteria Post Oak space at 1743 Post Oak in early-to-mid-2021. Luby’s did not renew its lease, according to the release.The restaurant's decision to relocate is based on the planned demolition of the strip center at 2327 Post Oak Blvd. where it is currently located, according to the release."

This is the first I've heard of any plan for a new development on the corner of Westheimer and Post Oak.  Any details?

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Kenny-Ziggy-s-to-move-to-Luby-s-Cafeteria-Post-Oak-15472146.php?cmpid=trend

• Like 1

Have been discussing it over in the Points West forum. 

• Like 1

Sigh....and here I was thinking I had stumbled on something new and undiscovered.  

This must have been how Columbus felt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Oh definitely @Skyboxdweller...good call as i think that might be a cool and interesting fit for Post Oak Central and make that whole development! love their little park btw as my condo is pretty much behind it all!

and dang, i wasn't thinking about Whole Earth Provisions having to move...i PRAY it stays in our area as i do go there often...just wasn't thinking about them moving haha!

love that place.

I think that Post Oak Central would be a great location for an upscale event space.  The evening and weekend use would complement the office development day use, the park would be a lovely place for a wedding and there could be rooftop bars, terraces on the rooftops of the middle building.  I often walk there and use the space to call my family or read my mail.  The fountain is roughly the size of the one at Lincoln Center in NY and is a great place to cool off and reflect on the day.  I also like the way that the triangular park is offset by the one at the Hilton and taken together is a great public square, although still privately owned. 

• Like 2

No surprise here, but I believe Neiman's Last Call has permanently closed in this shopping center (according to Last Call's website)...I'll try to drive by soon and see to make sure. We all saw this coming due to their financial issues, but good to recognize in terms of the potential redevelopment of the center. 

• Like 2