Sign in to follow this  
lockmat

Post Oak Shopping Center - Future Redevelopment

One day this shopping center will be redeveloped, so we may as well start this thread now.

My guess is they will hold out until there is very little or no other places to redevelop along Post Oak.

As of now, HCAD lists the the property valuation at $101 million. By comparison, an undeveloped block in the heart of downtown is $25 mil. Capitol Tower is listed as $125 mil. 

I can only imagine what they'll have to build to meet the land's value. As mentioned in the Galleria Green Space thread I started, I hope it includes a park. My personal dream is a north/south rectangular park abutting Post Oak about the same width as the parking lot, and maybe 1/2 to 3/4 the length, with highrises abutting directly up to a tree-lined walking path that runs along the edge of the park. The car entrances could be via an alley on the east side of the buildings.

20 years and another one or two cycles away?

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

I assume you mean the strip mall on the east side of Post Oak, just north of Westheimer.  Unless it's changed hands while I wasn't paying attention, I assume it is still owned by the Weingarten REIT, along with the property across the street where Sakowitz used to be.  Its interesting how they have kept these properties for so many decades, without developing them with higher density.  While I'm not a big fan of the dedicated bus lanes going in (but I do like the Boulevard Project aside from that), I wonder if it will make some higher-density redevelopment more attractive there. 

Edited by ArchFan

On a related note, I really think "they" (probably the Uptown TIRZ) should construct some safe ways for people to cross Westheimer between The Galleria and stuff on the north side of Westheimer. It's ridiculous (and quite unsafe) how people feel they have to run for their lives to cross Westheimer and and also navigate across the median landscaping.  The crosswalks at Post Oak and McCue are pretty far apart and many  people don't want to take long detours to use them.   I suppose the most practical solution would be an overhead walkway.  

Beyond that, as more development occurs on the other side (east) of 610, the need for safe pedestrian passage to there will only grow.  Currently, I seriously feel that I'm risking my life trying to make that crossing.  As a resident of the area, at least I know what I'm getting into when I cross there.  I worry even more about the out-of-town visitors who have to scurry through that gauntlet of crazy drivers.

Edited by ArchFan

3 hours ago, ArchFan said:

I assume you mean the strip mall on the east side of Post Oak, just north of Westheimer.  Unless it's changed hands while I wasn't paying attention, I assume it is still owned by the Weingarten REIT, along with the property across the street where Sakowitz used to be.  Its interesting how they have kept these properties for so many decades, without developing them with higher density.  While I'm not a big fan of the dedicated bus lanes going in (but I do like the Boulevard Project aside from that), I wonder if it will make some higher-density redevelopment more attractive there. 

Its Tanglewood who owns it, I think HCAD records show they’ve owned it for decades.  But yeah you have the right place .

http://www.tanglewoodcorp.com/

Jim McIngvale, more widely known as Mattress Mack, told radio host Michael Berry this morning on KTRH that Gallery Furniture’s 30,000-sq.-ft. store at 2411 Post Oak Blvd. will close following the end of its lease in a year. “The traffic went down by half because they tore up the road,” said Mack, referring to the construction on the new Uptown BRT that now has the street peppered with blaze orange cones and barricades.

http://swamplot.com/gallery-furnitures-post-oak-location-will-close-next-year/2019-01-17/

• Like 1