I Miss The Days

C2H

Sorry guys but it has to be said, i commend what the moderators are starting to do with improving the quality of information put on this forum and moderating what comes on it. And making Houston forumers look better and bigger than to have to attack other cities such as Dallas TX, But at the same time, i do miss the flavor of the old Houston Architecture forum such as :

1) Metroplex/Dallas vs Houston threads

2) Dalparadise vs. Montrose1100 battles

3) People making fun of eachother

I know it's a little inmature but is anybody else kind of with me on that? :P

true, it was funny reading through all of that stuff. I was lucky enough to get the pleasure of at least reading it before the old forum crashed. Yes Montrose1100 and Dalparadise battles were funny, but i think the moderators want a more respectable forum. You don't see any threads in Dallasmetropolis.com attacking other cities but you see alot of it in Skyscrapercity.com

I didn't enjoy anything about those things, so no I don't miss that at all...

I miss the old forum because of all the great information that was lost, but it's slowly building back up...

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who missed the fun...

But each way, of the site, immature, mature, formal and so on, each is good in its own way. But as Space said, "putting a good name on Houston", I don't know anyone who has said "Well the people on this Houston site are mean, immature, and un-professional, so let me base my opion of the WHOLE city from this site."

I'm not trying to impress anyone, I just love Houston...

We can still have fun, but in a more controlled enviorment. GO ASTROS &TEXANS!!

• 2 weeks later...

there was a time i too couldn't wait to get home and log on. there seemed to be so many good conversations going on that i'd have to make myself sign off. i was late for work several times trying to finish a thought or complete reading a thread.

everyone seems to be totally on edge - it seems you cannot help but paint yourself into a corner when attempting to share your views and opinions on subjects. i'm thinking many people read threads like the "mexican assimilation" and the bush/kerry flame wars and think no one in their right mind would touch it with a ten foot pole. myself, i try as much as possible to be amicable and see things from each person's point of view, so i don't take as much abuse as some people do - when i perceive a reply to my post as abrasive it rolls off because i am one person not easy to offend. i had difficulties dealing with dalparadise because it took so much of my energy to process his tantrums. i was still sorry to see him go because being concerned about communication, i never stopped trying to get my point across and sort it out with him. to his credit we seemed to have worked things out and at least built upon a level of basic civility. i am not an architect so i usually do not try to contribute info about the merits of buildings and logistics of structures, but i always read these posts with interest. i decided to make an attempt to post wherever i felt i could state a meaningful opinion, and even tried to start a topic under the med center area about homeless people moving into the parks there - unfortunately it has yet to receive even one response. perhaps people have read it and have nothing to add or any comments to make but it definately discourages me from trying to start any other threads. perhaps we should revive the "post your photo" thread and others that are humorous and light-hearted to restore the balance. i have yet to grasp the concept of posting photos, but i'm getting my son to help me out with that over the weekend. the worst that could happen is we will all recognize each other on the train or downtown or in the burbs and we can argue issues face to face (or beer to beer) and settle some of this once and for all.

debmartin

debmartin,

Just so you know, I read, agreed with and enjoyed your thread about the homeless moving towards Hermann Park and the Med Center. At last count it got 116 views. In fact, I thought it was well enough written so there was really nothing further for me to contribute on that particular subject.

Most people who post in HAIF seem to fall within some sort of reasonable standard of sanity and courtesy (with notorious exceptions, as 2112 pointed out). Sure, we have differences of opinion, and the trick is to be provocative without being inflammatory. Some like Perry-style townhomes; and some think they're an example of poor urban planning and a blot on the landscape. Some think light rail is a poor idea; I disagree.

I hope HAIF continues to have thought-provoking, lively conversations without falling into the sort of screeching name-calling so characteristic of other forums. And as an aside, I almost always prefer an opinion expressed in a persons own words - however awkwardly - instead of wading through a lot of cut-and-paste articles from other sources.

Debmartin,

I agree with dbigtex, your post on the homeless was fairly dead on for me and very well written; so there was little debate on that at all. So I was surprised no one even wanted to comment on it.

Posts DO fall into two different catagories as far as zero replies to a post:

1: people share the view and have little to contribue or argue about.

2: It's so far out to Left (or right) or poorly written that people don't even want to dignify.

I'm hoping my posts fall in the former instead of the latter. :D

SOME posters do have a tendency to think with other appendages when it comes to posting a contrary point of view and seem to be a tad aggressive (myself included at times) when making their points, if they ever get there at all.

Ricco

I love Houston just as much as anyone on here but I do not miss the relentless Dallas bashing. Glad it's gone.

I, however do miss southendTEX. Hey, are you out there anywhere? :)

Didnt know he was gone. Or is it a "she"? You never know. For a moment there, I thought dbigtex56 was a girl. Velvetj, are you a girl?

Why do my posts always diverge? Need-to-take-meds-again.....

Didnt know he was gone.  Or is it a "she"?  You never know.  For a moment there, I thought dbigtex56 was a girl.  Velvetj, are you a girl?

Why do my posts always diverge?  Need-to-take-meds-again.....

2112, do your meds include a certain little blue pill? :D 'Cause you really should take them only as needed...

C'mon, people! Where's our sense of community? We need to find 2112 a girlfriend (and HJ to the contrary, I'm not one who's out to 'convert' people).

2112, do your meds include a certain little blue pill?  :D 'Cause you really should take them only as needed...

C'mon, people! Where's our sense of community? We need to find 2112 a girlfriend (and HJ to the contrary, I'm not one who's out to 'convert' people).

The wife would not appreciate! But thanks for trying.

• 3 years later...
Sorry guys but it has to be said, i commend what the moderators are starting to do with improving the quality of information put on this forum and moderating what comes on it. And making Houston forumers look better and bigger than to have to attack other cities such as Dallas TX, But at the same time, i do miss the flavor of the old Houston Architecture forum such as :

I know it's a little inmature but is anybody else kind of with me on that? :P

Well well, its seems Montrose1100 has changed since then. I can't even fathom seeing this now. :ph34r:

Transcipts anyone? :P

It's interesting to see a snap shot of the forum tucked away in the back. Old HAIF must have looked like SSP of today compared to the more mature HAIF we all know now.

HAIF sounded like it sucked back then.

Really? Every time they bring it up it makes me wish I had been there. Montrose11 had have been like 14 or 15 back then, huh? lol

perhaps we should revive the "post your photo" thread and others that are humorous and light-hearted to restore the balance.

What was this all about? I wish I could go back and see those

Archived