Heights Gateway: Mixed-Use Development At 401 Studewood St.

Urbannizer

41847303004_85ae8c3903_o.jpg

http://swamplot.com/heres-an-8-story-office-and-apartment-complex-for-heights-studewood-low-point-on-white-oak-bayou/2018-06-04/

ENGINEERING firm The Interfield Group is hoping to score a trio of variancesthat will allow it to swap out its existing dingbat office building (above) at the Heights landing point of the Studemont St. bridge for a much larger mixed-usedevelopment (depicted at top) dubbed Heights Gateway. The new 8-story complexrests on the stealth-bomber-shaped parcel at 401 Studewood outlined in the aerial above. It’s split between a residential portion (shown beneath the lettering in the rendering) and a glass curtain-walled office section to the north — all of which rests atop a floodable 2-story parking garage plinth.

Its lowest parking level — indicated in the site plan below — includes a main entranceoff Studewood that runs between the work and live sections of the complex:

Among the 3 variances up for consideration this week: a request to terminate Threlkeld St. — indicated at the top left above — in a T-shaped turnaround rather than a cul-de sac, a request to scoot the building 10 ft. up closer to Studewood than the 25-ft. minimum setback would normally allow, and a request to permit this kind of commercial structure to occupy the flooded-out, formerly residential adjacent lots that the developer bought up and that now comprise the property’s northern wing.

The section below slices through the office portion that’d sit on that northern side of the property, showing how parking and workspace stack up above ground-floor retail.

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/heights-gateway-site-map.jpg

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/heights-gateway-elevation.jpg

Was looking at the planning commission agenda and came upon this interesting project.

Looks like Swamplot did a write up about it with far more/better detail than I was going to provide. Cool project! Love that they are integrating ground level retail although it's kind of an awkward spot.

http://swamplot.com/heres-an-8-story-office-and-apartment-complex-for-heights-studewood-low-point-on-white-oak-bayou/2018-06-04/

ENGINEERING firm The Interfield Group is hoping to score a trio of variances that will allow it to swap out its existing dingbat office building (above) at the Heights landing point of the Studemont St. bridge for a much larger mixed-usedevelopment (depicted at top) dubbed Heights Gateway. The new 8-story complex rests on the stealth-bomber-shaped parcel at 401 Studewood outlined in the aerial above. It’s split between a residential portion (shown beneath the lettering in the rendering) and a glass curtain-walled office section to the north — all of which rests atop a floodable 2-story parking garage plinth.

Its lowest parking level — indicated in the site plan below — includes a main entrance off Studewood that runs between the work and live sections of the complex:

wZvH7IM.png

9dBzSJ2.png

pXbNcSn.png

I can't wait for the inevitable clusterf?ck of traffic this will induce.  That area is already so congested, adding a left turn from Northbound Studewood will be the I-beam that breaks the camel's back.

1 hour ago, griz said:

I can't wait for the inevitable clusterf?ck of traffic this will induce.  That area is already so congested, adding a left turn from Northbound Studewood will be the I-beam that breaks the camel's back.

:rolleyes:  It appears that they are not providing for or allowing any left turns into the complex from Northbound Studewood, so we should be good.

56 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

This would look more appropriate on San Felipe somewhere. Wish they would hire an architect who takes the neighborhood into consideration.

Would agree but the original office building didn't match it either.

1 hour ago, Angostura said:

Not sure if that's real retail or "office lobby café" retail. 

If the parking levels are design to flood, what about the ground floor retail?

Not sure all of the parking levels are designed to flood, but the Swamplot piece is confusingly worded. I take the "floodable 2-story parking garage plinth" to be the ground-level area underneath the parking garage proper, next to the retail space indicated in the illustration. 

I can't believe anyone would actually live in a place where the parking garages are designed to flood, but I also can't believe someone would buy a house built inside a reservoir. 

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Yes, the original building didn't match it either. I wish that its replacement would.

What would be more appropriate here? Something that is office only that's 3ish stories with at-grade only parking?

42 minutes ago, wilcal said:

What would be more appropriate here? Something that is office only that's 3ish stories with at-grade only parking?

I was thinking different materials. Not sleek. Actually the next phase of the James/Ivy/Mid Lane development would probably work well here. Buffalo Heights also seems to be getting the area right.

5 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Not sure all of the parking levels are designed to flood, but the Swamplot piece is confusingly worded. I take the "floodable 2-story parking garage plinth" to be the ground-level area underneath the parking garage proper, next to the retail space indicated in the illustration. 

I can't believe anyone would actually live in a place where the parking garages are designed to flood, but I also can't believe someone would buy a house built inside a reservoir. 

Swamplot "confusingly worded"  omg someone alert the media !!! LOL  When I used to read their "column" online, (and I'm college-a-mum educationed..., I would always come away MORE confused instead of further enlightened or more knowledgeable.  Just sayin...

11 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

:rolleyes:  It appears that they are not providing for or allowing any left turns into the complex from Northbound Studewood, so we should be good.

Instead, people hang a U just up the block -  which is even more fun with the random grouping of aggressive, skeert, and trying-to-figure-out-which-bar-they-want-to-go-to-OH!-THERE'S-Little Woodrow's-driveway drivers that tend to populate that particular stretch of Studewood.  Yep, we'll be just dandy.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-interfield-group-submits-new-office-project-in-the-heights/

Houston (Harris County) – The Interfield Group, an architect/engineer firm, has been working on a new headquarters project for itself for several years and after a concept revision has taken their plans to the Planning Commission.

In 2015, Interfield was proposing a 22,000-square-foot building at its current corporate location. The concept would have left 12,000 square feet of that was going to be available for lease to another tenant or tenants. That plan has since been scratched in favor of a larger building.

The project description submitted by Interfield as the applicant states, “The owner of the adjoining property purchased the tract where the office building is located and proposes combining to tracts.”

The landowner of record for 401 Studewood Street is Franklin Business Inc., according to Harris County Appraisal District records. The combined lots would have a total area of 58,283 square feet.

The two planned buildings would front Studewood Street. The larger building will be located on the south tract and will include a two-level parking garage below five stories of office space.

The project was placed on the commission’s June 7 agenda, but was deferred at Interfield’s request.

“The new proposed development will consist of an 8-story multi-use complex that includes hotel and separate residential midrise tower, with retail and a parking structure on the ground floor,” the Interfield project summary states.

There is a request pending for a reduced building line of 15 feet along Studewood Street. The project site is across Studewood from Stude Park.

“The depth of the property, at its widest point, is 113.85 feet and only 86.2 feet at its narrowest point. The peculiar shape and size of tract, 25-foot building line and owner’s desire to construct office building at least 15 feet from the west property line (rear of building), to be friendlier to abutting residents, do not allow for a feasible building program. Therefore, in order to have a building program feasible for developer and friendlier to abutting neighbors, we request that a 15 foot front building line be allowed along Studewood Street.”

The project name, Heights Gateway, appears to be a reference to the property’s proximity to the bridge over  White Oak Bayou; Studemont Street turns into Studewood Street where it crosses the bayou. The street is a main arterial into Norhill Historic District and Woodland Heights,  neighborhoods in the southeast sector of The Heights.

Interfield is also requesting variances that will allow the dedication of a “T” turnaround at the termination of Threlkeld Street, instead of extending Threlkeld or providing a cul-de-sac, and to allow changing the land use of the vacant land tract from residential to unrestricted.

Referring to the alignment of buildings and curb cuts on its proposed site plan, Interfield said, “Recently, City of Houston has been more inclined to having structures closer to the street, with enhanced pedestrian realms that make streets more usable to community life. We are of the opinion that Heights Gateway will contribute to this scheme by beautifying the block face and landscaping.

“Heights Gateway will further enhance the pedestrian realm than previously mentioned in the first approved variance. Instead of a 6-foot sidewalk, Heights Gateway will provide a wider pedestrian realm that includes an 8-foot sidewalk. Four-inch caliper trees and landscaping will be provided along the frontage, and trees between the sidewalk and back of curb that will provide a buffer to pedestrians along the street. In addition, bike parking racks will be added, as well as a sidewalk that will connect Threlkeld Street to Studewood Street, for pedestrian safety.”

Ground level parking will be provided at the rear and side of building. Distance from the property line to the back of curb varies from approximately 23 feet to 17 feet. At the narrowest point, columns of the new building would be a minimum of approximately 36 feet.

“Heights Gateway will add to the beautification of the block face and contribute to the City of Houston’s overall scheme of enhanced pedestrian realm. Heights Gateway will give the view from Interstate 10 west bound lanes a more metropolitan impression,” Interfield said.

The project will also require demolition of the existing office building, a two-story wood-frame structure with masonry exterior that stands on concrete columns and has surface parking below. This is a 29,526 square foot building that was constructed in 1977 and is considered obsolescent by the county appraisal district.

HeightsGateway-streetview.jpg

• The title was changed to Heights Gateway: Apartment/Office Building At 401 Studewood St.
  • The title was changed to Heights Gateway: Mixed-Use Development At 401 Studewood St.

Archived