Galleria's Lack Of Green Space

lockmat

Galleria Green Space  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Does the Galleria area need another signature green space?

After McNair announcing his project today, it got me wondering. With sites available for redevelopment in the Galleria area disappearing at a relatively rapid pace, does the City need to purchase a site to develop a signature park a la Discovery Green or Central Park?

Does the area need one in yall's opinion? Memorial is great but not within walking distance.

I feel like at least one more pocket-sized park on the north side to mirror the waterwall park is needed.

This no doubt is a huge challenge considering land prices are extremely high and market prices do not justify a place people can come for "free".

But in a world where green space is not a luxury but a necessity for competing cities, this might be something taxpayers might have to bite their lips and fund. Or maybe a private entity will incorporate one into their own project?

In my opinion, a larger rectangular park where the Post Oak Shopping Center is located would be perfect.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, lockmat said:

After McNair announcing his project today, it got me wondering. With sites available for redevelopment in the Galleria area disappearing at a relatively rapid pace, does the City need to purchase a site to develop a signature park a la Discovery Green or Central Park?

Does the area need one in yall's opinion? Memorial is great but not within walking distance.

I feel like at least one more pocket-sized park on the north side to mirror the waterwall park is needed.

This no doubt is a huge challenge considering land prices are extremely high and market prices do not justify a place people can come for "free".

But in a world where green space is not a luxury but a necessity for competing cities, this might be something taxpayers might have to bite their lips and fund. Or maybe a private entity will incorporate one into their own project?

In my opinion, a larger rectangular park where the Post Oak Shopping Center is located would be perfect.

Thoughts?

i agree it should be somewhere north of San Felipe.  

They really should've done a Galleria-area green space years ago. Use the time slider to go back to 2008 in Google Earth or even earlier, and the Galleria looks like a lush area with large open spaces, perfect for parks described.

41 minutes ago, Reporter said:

Sink 610. Build a park over it from Woodway to 69. All our problems are solved. Make the people in River Oaks and the people who wished they lived in River Oaks pay for it.

The people in River Oaks are already paying for a park. It’s called Memorial Park, and those people are the Kinders. 

I think that I would prefer to see multiple conveyance systems (walking/biking paths, or even some kind of free circuit bus) moving people from the corner of P.O./SanF to the entire ce of Memorial Park.  It’s only about 1.5 miles...... to a park larger than Central Park in NYC.  The future Park will be amazing and we should lay the groundwork now to convey people to it without cars.

À curcuit bus could also entend down to maybe Richmond with stops near galleria too.

1 hour ago, UtterlyUrban said:

I think that I would prefer to see multiple conveyance systems (walking/biking paths, or even some kind of free circuit bus) moving people from the corner of P.O./SanF to the entire ce of Memorial Park.  It’s only about 1.5 miles...... to a park larger than Central Park in NYC.  The future Park will be amazing and we should lay the groundwork now to convey people to it without cars.

À curcuit bus could also entend down to maybe Richmond with stops near galleria too.

Yes, 100% agree. Creating those connections makes the area even more desirable to live in. I love both Memorial and BBP, and ultimately I'd love to see those parks connect Uptown, River Oaks, and Downtown through continuous walking/biking paths. 

14 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

The people in River Oaks are already paying for a park. It’s called Memorial Park, and those people are the Kinders. 

Boo. Hoo. They're breaking my heart.

Appeal on Behalf of Extremely Rich People

'THERE NOW FOLLOWS AN APPEAL ON BEHALF OF EXTREMELY RICH PEOPLE WHO HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM'

Sir Pratt: (at a large leather-topped desk with an elaborate table lamp) Hello. I'd like to talk to you tonight about a minority group of people who have no mental or physical handicaps and, who, through no fault of their own, have never been deprived, and consequently are forced to live in conditions of extreme luxury. This often ignored minority, is very rarely brought to the attention of the general public. The average man in the street scarcely gives a second thought to these extremely well-off people. He, quite simply, fails to appreciate the pressures vast quantities of money just do not bring. Have you at home, ever had to cope with this problem... (cut to a rich young yachting type surrounded by girls in bikinis) or this... (cut to a rich woman loading her chauffeur with all kinds of expensive parcels) or even this... (cut to a still of Centre Point) I know it's only human to say, 'Oh this will never happen to me', and of course, it won't. I'm asking you, please, please, send no contributions, however large, to me.

On 6/6/2018 at 6:19 AM, UtterlyUrban said:

This is a good idea, but Memorial Park, even with the updates, in my opinion still does not serve the same purpose as an urban park. The new and improved Memorial Park doesn't really cater to people in suits or office worker lunch timers. It's a place for people to enjoy nature, exercise and get sweaty. I think MP and an urban park serve two different purposes. A mini central park is the idea I'd like to see implemented, with it's own character of course. And not a super event activated place like DG either.

• 2 months later...
On 6/5/2018 at 6:22 PM, Reporter said:

Sink 610. Build a park over it from Woodway to 69. All our problems are solved. Make the people in River Oaks and the people who wished they lived in River Oaks pay for it.

Sink 610?  Not a good idea for Houston, lol.

In theory, sinking all the freeways would be an excellent idea I think. Less noise and let freeways flood instead of houses and businesses. I would hope that a heavy rain over the entire are wouldn't bring the city to a total stand still.

I have a crazy idea to improve the west loop...how about not having it be the only N/S crossing of buffalo bayou for a 5 mile stretch?

The good news for greenspace is that there is a giant park in Memorial Park that is immediately adjacent to the area, and its gonna be heavily invested in and upgraded over the next few years!  Plus they are building a transit line right along the two western entrances to the park at Woodway and Memorial Dr, so once thats built you will just need to hop on the Post Oak Bus line, highjack one of the busses to get it to stop, and leap off the 30 foot viaduct down to the street below for easy access.

On 8/14/2018 at 0:05 PM, JJxvi said:

I have a crazy idea to improve the west loop...how about not having it be the only N/S crossing of buffalo bayou for a 5 mile stretch?

The good news for greenspace is that there is a giant park in Memorial Park that is immediately adjacent to the area, and its gonna be heavily invested in and upgraded over the next few years!  Plus they are building a transit line right along the two western entrances to the park at Woodway and Memorial Dr, so once thats built you will just need to hop on the Post Oak Bus line, highjack one of the busses to get it to stop, and leap off the 30 foot viaduct down to the street below for easy access.

There was a plan for an "Uptown Boulevard" some years ago before Galleria area (Afton Oaks I think) constitutents killed it.

What could still really improve the area is a ramp from Post Oak Blvd. (eastbound) flying over the highway and merging with the northbound frontage road north of the Buffalo Bayou, then another ramp north of Memorial that connects in with North Post Oak Road.

Then for the south end, build another tunnel so that northbound 610 frontage road can go directly to Post Oak Boulevard. It would be expensive with ramps and tunnels and not the most elegant solution, but probably cheaper than smashing Sage north toward Silber through multi-million dollar homes.

• The title was changed to Galleria's Lack Of Green Space

Archived