Subdude

I couldn't find any information about it.

Here is the picture and caption from that monorail site:

1956- Skyway Monorail

Monorail, Incorporated built a short test track of their suspended system at Arrowhead Park in Houston, Texas. Each bogie was powered by a 310-horsepower Packard automobile engine. The driver was seated high above the passenger carriage on one of the two bogies. After eight months of testing, the track was dismantled and rebuilt at the Texas State fairgrounds where it ran for many years. Its promoters claimed it could reach speeds of 160 km but no Skyway transit installations were ever built.

http://www.monorails.org/webpix/1956.jpg

Now my question is what was "Arrowhead Park"? Was this an amusement park? I couldn't find it on a map of Houston from the mid-1950s.

• Like 1

1956.jpg

This is the monorail that was at South Main at the intersection with Holmes. I assume that was Arrowhead Park. We passed the location many times on the way to and from Seargent, but I never saw it up close. It was a good half to one mile off Main.

But then, I guess I did after all! I rode the one at the State Fair in 1957. I never knew the two were one and the same.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Re: monorails.

I was at Antonio's Flying Pizza last night (Hillcroft just south of Westheimer) and I saw a Bob Bailey-ish picture of a DIFFERENT monorail on the wall there with other old Houston pictures. I did a quick Google search and the only pic I can find is the 1956 Arrowhead park one posted previously. The picture I saw was of a much more angular car than that one suspended below the rail, without a driver's compartment above.

Anyone have any more info?

Marty

• Like 1

In doing a search for Playland Park and the races they used to have featuring AJ Foyt and Billy Wade led me to a blurb about there being a racetrack at Arrowhead Park. I am pretty sure I know where it was because I remember seeing the monorail off South Main past where it makes the bend at the conjunction with Holmes. However, all my searches for Arrowhead came back with the stadium in KC.

Now, there used to be stock car races in the late 60

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I rode the Trailblazer in 1957, but didn't realize it until this was discussed in another topic last year.

I recall seeing this monorail as a kid heading out South Main. I thought it was at where Main made a turn where Holmes intersects. But it appears Arrowhead was located near Holcomb.

What I didn

• Like 1

I recall seeing this monorail as a kid heading out South Main. I thought it was at where Main made a turn where Holmes intersects. But it appears Arrowhead was located near Holcomb.

There has been some previous discussion elsewhere in this forum about the location of Arrowhead Park. I had previously mentioned that I had gone there, in the early 50's, to some stock car and and midget auto races. I knew it was on OST, but I thought it was closer to Fannin than it actually was, as shown in this photo. I recently found this picture in the Bob Bailey photo collection. The picture was titled Main and Holcombe, but you can clearly see what remained of the Arrowheard Park race track in the upper, left portion of the photo. It was originally built for horse-racing (not sure exactly when), but became a venue for car-racing in the early 50's. I worked briefly for Halliburton Oil Well Cementing Co. in the 50's, and I remember seeing this monorail while it was on display near the HOWCO field camp, which is shown here just east of Arrowhead on OST. For reference, that's the Shamrock Hotel at the right, middle of the picture.

e_bb_2946_pub.jpg

• Like 1

At the top of the photo is where OST runs into S Main. The road that goes off to the left from Holcombe is Fannin. About halfway between Holcombe and the left edge of the photo is Pier 21.

I was thinking about the restaurant just the other day. The

• Like 1

On Cinema Treasures it says that the Delman was built by a D. Adelman, so it doesn't seem to be common ownership. Another question: the large building on the left, immediately south of Braes Bayou, was that a sanitarium? I read somewhere there was one around there.

Valians across from the Shamrock looks like it had a giant parking lot.

That large parking lot was actually for Shamrock visitors. There was a light with a marked walkway across Main to the Shamrock. They had a parking garage, but must have had that outside lot for use when the garage was full, or for people who just didn't want to use the garage. It was probably also used by Valian's customers.

• Like 1

You are right, T-Bird, it was Dentler.

Wasn't there a sanatorium on Shepherd just south of Allen Parkway? There may have been another on the east side of I-45 just north of I-10, and the building may still be there.

• Like 1

At the top of the photo is where OST runs into S Main. The road that goes off to the left from Holcombe is Fannin. About halfway between Holcombe and the left edge of the photo is Pier 21.

You're right! I remember it being there. That is the same building that Subdude asked if it might be a sanitarium. I have a 1954 ad for Pier 21 that lists its address as 7001 Old Main Street Rd., which is what it was before it became Fannin. See a section below that I cropped of a 1935 map showing Old Main Street Road. That's what it was before they extended the Fannin name.

HoustonMap1935c.jpg

Another question: the large building on the left, immediately south of Braes Bayou, was that a sanitarium? I read somewhere there was one around there.

Subdude, The only thing of that nature, I can remember in that area, was what I would call a nursing home/assisted living facility by the name of Holly Hall. It was further south on Knight Rd, between OST and Holmes Rd.

Wasn't there a sanatorium on Shepherd just south of Allen Parkway? There may have been another on the east side of I-45 just north of I-10, and the building may still be there.

I remember a Tuberculosis Sanatorium/Clinic/Hospital on the Southeast corner of Shepherd and Buffalo Drive (now Allen Pkwy).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
sevfiv said:

race3.JPG

the trailblazer (tested at arrowhead park):

http://houston.arch-ive.org/mr002.jpg

http://houston.arch-ive.org/mr003.jpg

Here's another view and description of the monorail at Arrowhead Park

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/57Tbird/HoustonMonorail-1956.jpg

1956- Skyway Monorail

Monorail, Incorporated, built a short test track of their suspended system at Arrowhead Park in Houston, Texas. Each bogie was powered by a 310-horsepower Packard automobile engine. The driver was seated high above the passenger carriage on one of the two bogies. After eight months of testing, the track was dismantled and rebuilt at the Texas State fairgrounds where it ran for many years. Its promoters claimed it could reach speeds of 160 km/hr, but no Skyway transit installations were ever built.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Well, I'm 47. I remember going to Peppermint Park by Gulfgate Shopping City (now Mall) when I lived in Houston from 1962-64. Are you saying that it went out of business fairly recently?

Yep! I'm 52 and have very fond memories of Peppermint Park, right next to Gulfgate Mall! The good 'ole days! What fun!!!

There was a monorail at Hobby? When was that? What did it connect? I couldn't find any information about it.

Here is the picture and caption from that monorail site:

1956.jpg

Now my question is what was "Arrowhead Park"? Was this an amusement park? I couldn't find it on a map of Houston from the mid-1950s.

I remember this monorail, and riding it, but I cannot remember where it was. I did live very close to Hobby Airport, but it seems to me that it was at an amusement park somewhere in Houston. I am not aware of Arrowhead Park though. Could it have been at the old Six Flags? Now I'm really curious!!

• Like 1

All I can find about Arrowhead's location is a post on another forum, (click here), that refers to it as Arrowhead Speedway. Evidently it was a racetrack for both horses and cars. It would ostensibly be located, by the description given, somewhere between Reliant Park and Brays Bayou.

• Like 1

All I can find about Arrowhead's location is a post on another forum, (click here), that refers to it as Arrowhead Speedway. Evidently it was a racetrack for both horses and cars. It would ostensibly be located, by the description given, somewhere between Reliant Park and Brays Bayou.

It was answered in a different topic. 57Tbird posted this photo that shows Arrowhead off of OST.

e_bb_2946_pub.jpg

• 11 years later...

Can someone help me on this? Not everything is on google. Trying to get info on the Goodell monorail system that may have been in Houston. I have found info on the Trailblazer by Monorail Inc. Are they the same? I work for Channel 13. I have found a clip from 10-9-64. There is a shot of an old piece of equipment with "Goodell Monorail" stamped on it. There is also a shot of what appears to be an old monorail and monorail car. The story was about a car race near Fondren and Main, but there are these shots of monorail parts that has stumped me. 

5b153f20bd34e_monorail2.JPG.c230e4977bcd326bc2bea1330d64946c.JPGmonorail3.JPG.335871382699e0f566deece6ecf7b748.JPGmonorail1.JPG.4f5a6fdcc224392b25755e10bd319157.JPG

• Like 2

I saw those articles on the trailblazer monorail. Did a search of the library images and found photo of the Trailblazer monorail and it refers to it as the Goodell Monorail company so I guess they are the same, but the image of what appears to be an old monorail car in the weeds does not look like the ones in photos of the Trailblazer.

• Like 1