Modera Waugh: Multifamily At 716 Waugh Dr.

swtsig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

But look at it like this, once this baby goes up, the shopping center next door may want to upgrade their site or sell. 

On 6/13/2021 at 2:41 PM, hindesky said:

I think the city replaced the sidewalk, they have been replacing a bunch of them on Waugh.

h047q1g.jpg

Yeah it's part of the sidewalk/bike lane build from W Dallas to W Alabama. Commonwealth is getting the same treatment and sections of Montrose Blvd will be repaired as well. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 8:53 AM, CREguy13 said:

Hate following up with no pics.... but drove by again last night and more heavy equipment has been brought on-site and new construction fencing went up around the entire block yesterday. Separately, the Women's Center (1.5 acres) on SE corner of Waugh/W Dallas went under contract a few weeks ago. 

The amount of investment/ongoing construction that will be happening in this immediate area and Allen Parkway over the next several years will be crazy.  Some of the announced and not yet announced retail deals being signed at Autry Park, Regent Square and others  are going to make this THEE area, pretty quickly imo.  There are some really exciting concepts coming to Autry Park. Ready to watch it unfold... popcorn ready!

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

Any idea what is being planned for women’s center site? Assuming more residential? Piedmont going to lose their downtown views…

• The title was changed to Modera Waugh: Multifamily At Waugh & D'Amico St.

You would have thought the city would wait to replace the sidewalk right next to a project that is about to start. If you go 10' past this they haven't done anything to those sidewalks. This is one of 3 entrances to the project where heavy equipment comes in.

1WM5kvV.jpg

M3IH6Kb.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/26/2021 at 9:10 PM, bobruss said:

I swear, every time this post appears I flash on the vaccine Moderna.

I keep thinking of the DJ Moderat. Perhaps because Alexandria has one called the Modera Tempo...

On 6/1/2021 at 5:20 PM, Paco Jones said:

Project:

Modera Waugh

Address:

716 Waugh Drive

Houston, TX 77019

Architect:
EDI

Information:

7-levels of parking with 10 levels of residential units above.  Amenity deck and pool at level 8 and another amenity deck at roof.  392 units with SF of 412,431 (includes balconies).  174,736 SF of parking area with 575 parking spaces.  Exterior is comprised mostly of masonry and cast stone with a small portion being stucco.

zyoLTFr.png

That's actually pretty massive for a Modera project...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure "neighborhoods where there are lower rise buildings with active pedestrian activity" really applies to this location. Close to 400 residential units will do a lot to help with making the area more walkable though, especially if Waugh can get some much-needed work.

That said, I agree that parking podiums with zero retail are a pretty bad compromise. But this project is still overall very positive.

• Like 1

Somewhat off topic, but the random clusters of townhomes in these pictures (great pictures, btw) makes we wonder if we'll start seeing some of the older ones being torn down in the next decade for smaller, multifamily projects.  Less emphasis on parking or garage space.  Could be a turning point for the area and begin Houston's shift away from these poorer quality townhome projects.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, talltexan83 said:

Somewhat off topic, but the random clusters of townhomes in these pictures (great pictures, btw) makes we wonder if we'll start seeing some of the older ones being torn down in the next decade for smaller, multifamily projects.  Less emphasis on parking or garage space.  Could be a turning point for the area and begin Houston's shift away from these poorer quality townhome projects.  

I have been waiting for the day when (any but really some of the lesser quality) townhomes start getting torn down and replaced by something nicer. Or converted to micro mixed use.

3 hours ago, Texasota said:

I'm not sure "neighborhoods where there are lower rise buildings with active pedestrian activity" really applies to this location. Close to 400 residential units will do a lot to help with making the area more walkable though, especially if Waugh can get some much-needed work.

That said, I agree that parking podiums with zero retail are a pretty bad compromise. But this project is still overall very positive.

I disagree. I live around the corner and there is a lot of pedestrian activity. More than almost any area I’ve lived in Houston. I walk almost daily to Buffalo Bayou, Whole Foods, BlendIn Coffee, CVS, etc. And I’m certainly not alone. 

I prefer living in a dense environment, but this is, in my opinion, a poorly designed project for the area. The 7-story tower of parking is taller than just about everything in the immediate area and a tiny 200 SF corner retail space would have gone a long way. Just a cookie cutter crap multi family project in my opinion.