What was the date in 1983 of the Borden explosion? Though a Houston native, I was living in San Antonio at the time. I completely missed Hurricane Alicia as well in August of 1983 (lucky that).

Ironically, since tomorrow is the 33rd anniversary of the event, I was in San Antonio on May 30, 1985 when the Lone Star ice plant experienced an ammonia explosion. Four people were killed and 23 were injured including 17 fire fighters in that disaster.

48 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Which building is it?

It looks like it was a plant torn down after the fire, located at the block bounded by Milam, Louisiana, Pierce, and Calhoun (St. Joseph). The Holiday Inn (at the time) was located catty-corner to the plant.

4 hours ago, IronTiger said:

It looks like it was a plant torn down after the fire, located at the block bounded by Milam, Louisiana, Pierce, and Calhoun (St. Joseph). The Holiday Inn (at the time) was located catty-corner to the plant.

So the site of a horrible fire was replaced by a fire station? Seems appropriate 

• 3 weeks later...

When I was a little girl I would go with one of my three older siblings to get ice cream cones at the ice cream parlor. They were 6, 9 & 10 yrs older. They had a double cone that you could get a quadruple scoop ice cream. We named the oldest Little Lotta because she'd order her quadruples. You couldn't see her face when she worked on that monster. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived