Austin High School At 1700 Dumble St.

I haven't grabbed any photos, but they have torn down most of the building that faces Lockwood. I suspect the rest isn't far behind.

Temporary buildings have been up in the area across Lockwood that I guess will house students during the rebuild.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 10:30 AM, Avossos said:

I was worried that they would be tearing the whole thing down. Thank God they will preserve the architectural core.

http://www.houstonisd.org/Page/71959

I'm glad they're not tearing it down. My husband, Mriguel Martinez, taught Spanish there from 1988 to 2010. He's a real architechtural-historic-preservation fanatic and would hate it if they ruined/totally modernized the building. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2018 at 3:45 PM, Libbie said:

I'm glad they're not tearing it down. My husband, Mriguel Martinez, taught Spanish there from 1988 to 2010. He's a real architechtural-historic-preservation fanatic and would hate it if they ruined/totally modernized the building. 

My cousin taught English there for many years. She had the G&T students. Many former students in the Texas Educational System. 

Unfortunately, it is the norm and not a rare exception to keep a building, much less keep it historically correct in renovation process. I know for a fact it can be done & should. My husband who is about to be 82 in August graduated from Austin & went on to union bricklayers local 5 at 17 years old. We have done several homes downtown that were either already denoted with their historical building sign or applying & renovating. We also did the work at San Felipe de Austin, a replica of Stephen F Austin's building in the community of the "Old 300". Historically correct even though a replica. 

I originally joined this group over the Farmers Market on Airline Drive being sold & scrubbed clean of the "messy" old buildings. Houston has always been a transient city with newcomers outnumbering natives. Not much sentimentality when they are not from here. Makes me sad. 

• 6 months later...

Saw 2 cranes while I was at UH and went to investigate. Austin High School. Hope they incorporate the old cool building into the new build.

https://wwebber.com/project/austin-high-school-replacement/

Project Description

Name: Austin High School Replacement
Completion: Spring 2020
Value: $58.7 million
Owner: Houston ISD
Architect: ERO Architects

The Austin High School Replacement project is a two-phase project that includes an extensive temporary building education complex and renovations and construction to the existing historic 1936 Stephen F. Austin High School.

Phase one was to construct a temporary building education complex. A total of 150 portable buildings were set by Webber before the Spring 2018 semester. The facility includes 90+ classrooms, all administrative offices, choir and band space, and a shop facility which includes a ship piloting simulation classroom. A modular “multipurpose” structure will also include an air-conditioned dining commons and will also be adaptable for all PE activities.

Phase two will include the demolition of the interior of the old school while keeping the historic front façade and renovating the original building. Also, it includes demolition of the rest of the campus buildings that have been added over the years and will be replaced with 184,000 square feet of new buildings. During the demolition phase, it was determined that asbestos was present in the existing structures . Webber managed the mitigation process, which had to be completed and inspected before work could continue. The new buildings will include the gyms, new classrooms, a library, band and music rooms and science labs. Classroom sizes will increase in size from the current 620-700 square feet to 850 square feet. Science labs size will double. The exterior of the building will have new hardscaping, landscaping, and outdoor learning spaces.

Phase three encompasses construction of the new campus.

AAOzYlB.jpg

FfFvma6.jpg

KF1vn4w.jpg

uh3IXuy.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Austin High School At 1700 Dumble St.

Archived