Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

Swamplot.com Shutting Down? Is Houston Losing Its Scrappy Real Estate Blog?

CrockpotandGravel    4,336

Houston Chronicle ran a farewell to Swamplot.com yesterday but pulled the article thereafter. I can't find a cached version but this was the link:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/gray-matters/article/swamplot-closing-down-houston-real-estate-12854083.php

The closing was discussed on Reddit where Chronicle's Lisa Gray clarified the article was prematurely published and removed:

Argh: This was my fault. The Chronicle sometimes prepares obituaries ahead of time, so that they're ready right away if and when the time comes. I was editing Allyn's story this morning, and must have accidentally hit "publish." I'm trying to get it off MSN, too. -- Lisa Gray, sheepish, at the Chronicle

Swamplot has valuable information but with the new editor, posts weren't timely published. The headlines and demos were published at the same time everyday as it's been for years. The other posts were sporadically published throughout the day and not every hour as in years past. Couple that with no social media updates if ever with links to their recent posts on Twitter and Facebook.

The quality of articles dropped too. Many of the articles came from HAIF, few from the Chronicle or the news stations. Mostly gone were the exclusive or breaking news researched articles that made Swamplot scrappy and valuable.

This is a loss. First Houston Press' published newspaper and loss of their full-time staff, and now this.

Does anyone know when Swamplot will shut down and why?

Houston19514    2,458
3 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Houston Chronicle ran a farewell to Swamplot.com yesterday but pulled the article thereafter. I can't find a cached version but this was the link:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/gray-matters/article/swamplot-closing-down-houston-real-estate-12854083.php

The closing was discussed on Reddit where Chronicle's Lisa Gray clarified the article was prematurely published and removed:

Argh: This was my fault. The Chronicle sometimes prepares obituaries ahead of time, so that they're ready right away if and when the time comes. I was editing Allyn's story this morning, and must have accidentally hit "publish." I'm trying to get it off MSN, too. -- Lisa Gray, sheepish, at the Chronicle

Swamplot has valuable information but with the new editor, posts weren't timely published. The headlines and demos were published at the same time everyday as it's been for years. The other posts were sporadically published throughout the day and not every hour as in years past. Couple that with no social media updates if ever with links to their recent posts on Twitter and Facebook.

The quality of articles dropped too. Many of the articles came from HAIF, few from the Chronicle or the news stations. Mostly gone were the exclusive or breaking news researched articles that made Swamplot scrappy and valuable.

This is a loss. First Houston Press' published newspaper and loss of their full-time staff, and now this.

Does anyone know when Swamplot will shut down and why?

I don't think there is any reason to think Swamplot is shutting down, is there?