3 hours ago, HNathoo said:

I think we'll be hearing a pretty big announcement for the downtown market towards the end of this month or early next month.

What kind of ‘big’ announcement??

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Q4 2018:    Downtown’s residential population is close to reaching the 10,000-mark. At the end of 2018, Downtown had an estimated 9,395 residents, up from 3,021 in 2010 (a 211% increase). Do

So I guess we can call the Downtown Living Initiative a success now that residential and hotels continue to get built without tax incentives.

Downtown Houston Market update 2019 Q3:  http://www.downtowndistrict.org/static/media/uploads/attachments/downtown_market_update_2019_q3.pdf Residential: Occupancy rate is now up to 91%

Posted Images

6 hours ago, HNathoo said:

I think we'll be hearing a pretty big announcement for the downtown market towards the end of this month or early next month.

I can corroborate.  If it's something different, even better.

• Like 6
18 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

I can corroborate.  If it's something different, even better.

Well - my best guess, since this is the 'downtown apartment market' topic, is a conversion of a vacant building into apartments. Guesses, in order:

1) Old Days Inn / Holiday Inn to be apartments

2) 800 Bell St to be apartments

3) Battlestiens to be condos / apartments

4) Old SWB building at Capital & San Jacinto to be renovated to apartments

5) Harris county to sell a building to be renovated to apartments

6) Marquette or Camden breaking ground on their plans (don't believe capital markets are supportive of this today, but I could be wrong)

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Avossos said:

Well - my best guess, since this is the 'downtown apartment market' topic, is a conversion of a vacant building into apartments. Guesses, in order:

6) Marquette or Camden breaking ground on their plans (don't believe capital markets are supportive of this today, but I could be wrong)

800 Bell being saved would be worth another decade of seeing through the Old Days Inn / Holiday Inn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 1/5/2021 at 1:01 PM, HNathoo said:

Was this the skanska announcement?

10 hours ago, HNathoo said:

Yes. 

10 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

For me it was - I accidentally posted it in the wrong thread.  Hopefully @HNathoo knows something we don't!

Well y'all were in sync then! A little bummed we don't have a conversion to residential or something.

in terms of offices... I love the Skanska news, but I am also extremely hopeful that 1 Market Square happens... that garage as is... is just a disappointment.

• Like 1
On 1/6/2021 at 2:29 PM, Avossos said:

If we're doing a wish list, The Federal prison on Texas could convert into a hostel, though I'm not sure that would be net better for the neighborhood. 

Maybe take the doors off the cells and convert it to a homeless shelter to get folks off the street. 

1 hour ago, Nate99 said:

If we're doing a wish list, The Federal prison on Texas could convert into a hostel, though I'm not sure that would be net better for the neighborhood. 

Maybe take the doors off the cells and convert it to a homeless shelter to get folks off the street. 

The ones on the streets have the potential to get into shelters as it is, they just don't for drug or mental health reasons.  That jail is one of the few exceptions to the rule that anything is better than a surface parking lot.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, kbates2 said:

The ones on the streets have the potential to get into shelters as it is, they just don't for drug or mental health reasons.  That jail is one of the few exceptions to the rule that anything is better than a surface parking lot.

Right, not practical, just thinking about the immediate neighborhood. I wasn't meaning to lock them up, just to use a facility that's designed to be difficult to trash as a place out of the weather. No easy answers.  

• Like 2