El Pollo Loco Restaurants

Lanmanna

So, after a very short time in Houston, it looks like El Pollo Loco is on the verge of being completely out of the Houston area. When I was trying to see what locations were left in Houston, I saw that El Pollo Loco was actually in the Houston area back in the 80s. http://articles.latimes.com/1985-03-10/business/fi-25958_1_el-pollo-loco 

Does anyone know where these 1980s locations were? Thanks.

I went to a chicken place on S. Gessner years ago.  I wasn't thinking it was as long ago as the 80s but perhaps.  I remember the name as Pollo something, without the 'El' but maybe I'm remembering it wrong.  The food didn't make much of an impression and I never went back.

It was in this building now occupied by Taqueria El Herraderro.

On 4/29/2018 at 6:13 PM, Lanmanna said:

So, after a very short time in Houston, it looks like El Pollo Loco is on the verge of being completely out of the Houston area. When I was trying to see what locations were left in Houston, I saw that El Pollo Loco was actually in the Houston area back in the 80s. http://articles.latimes.com/1985-03-10/business/fi-25958_1_el-pollo-loco 

Does anyone know where these 1980s locations were? Thanks.

The El Pollo Loco stores may have closed a few but there are maybe a dozen in the area. There weren't many built in the last few years to begin with. Would trade El Pollo Loco's locations for Pollo Tropical back though. I think there was an original EPL store at Blalock and Long Point with the sign/building mostly intact. Don't quote me on that.

So, the Chronicle mentions they pulled out of Houston in October of 85, however no locations are mentioned. The number I keep seeing thrown around is 6. The Gessner location states a build date of 1987, and the Long Point/Blalock location was owned by something called "Casa Bonita" which apparently owned a few properties around town, but none of them had similar styling.

So my advice on finding the locations would be to go find a 1985 Directory and look them up.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, I had found the Houston archives downtown don't have the 1985 directory (on display at least) or the 1986 directory ("unavailable"), or the 1985 Yellow Pages. The signs of what EPL would've looked like in 1985 might've looked like this (this was their 1989 logo, not sure if it dates back further), and it is a distinctive sign shape. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two still hung around Houston somewhere...

El-Pollo-Loco-Logo.gif

I remember one of the original Houston El Pollo Loco locations was off the south side of the East Freeway between Lathrop and Kress.  About 6670 East Freeway.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/6670+East+Fwy,+Houston,+TX+77020

(embedded links option not working for me..for some reason)

I would see it when commuting back then, but never stopped in.   Ostioneria 7 Mares moved in not long after El Pollo Loco left and it is still there.  (They have a side street address now at 826 Zoe) It was the first time I ever saw the word Ostioneria so it drew my attention!  Looking at streetview, they have added on to the rear of the original building

2 hours ago, gnu said:

I remember one of the original Houston El Pollo Loco locations was off the south side of the East Freeway between Lathrop and Kress.  About 6670 East Freeway.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/6670+East+Fwy,+Houston,+TX+77020

(embedded links option not working for me..for some reason)

Embedded links don't work anymore. Personally, I wish we had a full forum revamp that wouldn't have an editor that thinks it's smarter than you are (and quotes could be easily to manipulate again) but...

EDIT: HCAD says that the two-story add-on was built in 1996. It also says that the owners in 1984 and 1985 were High Buel and Etux, and Garcia Abel, respectively. I wonder if either of those could be used to find other locations...

• The title was changed to El Pollo Loco Restaurants

Archived