Campanile On Commerce: Apartments At 2800 Commerce St.

thedistrict84

Noticed yesterday that there were surveyors out at this large, eternally empty lot (since at least 1952, based on historical aerial photography that I’ve found). Looked to be marking property boundaries along with the location of storm/sewer drains. HCAD shows that it is currently owned by Glaven Investments, LLC., and was acquired early last year from the Estate of Yolanda Black-Navarro.

Any insight as to what may be planned, if anything?

• Like 1

The only thing that has come up in Google is something called “Campanile on Commerce” mentioned in minutes from a HCAC meeting on 1/31/2018. Sounds like a small apartment complex, but it’s not clear.

Edited by thedistrict84
Phrasing
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Document shows 120 units, which sounds about right if it’s a two to three story complex like the one a block away on Canal at N Paige.

I’m interested to see a site plan to determine the layout, setback, etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a notice of public hearing sign placed on the property regarding R.O.W. dedication on Delano St.

Sounds like they’re placing a driveway for access to the property from Delano. There is currently a driveway just southeast of the intersection between Delano and Commerce.

Not sure how accurate an inferrence from that regarding setback or layout could be, but it seems to me that this means the parking lot (or garage?) may be situated on the northwest portion of the property, fronting Delano.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Still no activity on this site, despite funding being issued to the developer back in October. I’ve looked for an update online and nothing has come up.

http://swamplot.com/city-council-to-cut-check-for-second-ward-senior-housing-today/2018-10-23/

There are three other similar projects predominately targeting the 60% AMI level which are earmarked for this general area using a combination of TIRZ funds and HUD/federal funds, as was the case here. I’m curious to know what happened with this project and what bearing it may have on the City’s willingness to work with these other developers. 

Frankly, things seem a bit shady.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Any updates?

They’re still in the process of installing the drainage system and leveling the lot. Making decent progress so far, and should start the actual construction of the building in a few weeks.

I’ll take a few pics this evening and post them.

Now on the HAIF Development Map under the layer "Proposed". For any updates on the status of this project. Please DM me.

Things to keep an eye on include (but not limited to):

-updated renders (will be adding pics to all projects later)
-project name changes

-changes in use or additions of uses

-changes in number of stories

-changes to Developer or additional Developers

-changes to Architect or additional Architects/Designers

-announcements or changes to construction dates / finish dates

If any of the above is missing in the project info already then please assist clarifying any missing info to me.

• 3 months later...

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2019/10/11/348830/ethics-questions-surface-in-houston-city-controllers-race/

Chris Brown’s election opponent Orlando Sanchez said Brown benefited from what he’s calling a “shady real estate deal.” City records show Brown and other members of his family made over $5 million when a real estate developer used federal and city loans to purchase their property.

Brown’s office told Houston Public Media the city’s legal department told him there was no conflict of interest and that he filed the appropriate disclosure forms. But Sanchez has disagreed with the legal department’s opinion and called for changes to make the city attorney more independent. 

Fox26 first reported on Thursday that a real estate developer used millions of dollars in public funding in 2018 to acquire land owned by Controller Chris Brown’s family. According to that report, councilmembers said they were unaware when they voted that Brown would benefit from the deal. 

The controller’s office confirmed with Houston Public Media Brown acquired the property at 2800 Commerce Street with his father, then assumed the interest along with four siblings when his father died. The property was sold in October 2018 to Campanile on Commerce, a subsidiary of the developer Kilday Operating LLC, which acquired the land for $5.6 million. According to the controller’s office, Brown had a one-fifth stake in the property.

That same month, Houston City Council authorized a $3.5 million loan to Campanile on Commerce to assist with site acquisition for their project, a 120-unit affordable housing development for seniors, according to city records. The $3.5 million low-interest loan was a combination of federal and city housing funding. 

According to a document shared with Houston Public Media, Brown informed the city legal department about his stake in the property and obtained an opinion from the department before the vote took place.

The legal department found no problem with the deal. “As Kilday initiated the purchase of the property prior to seeking additional funding from the City, I do not believe this project, or the associated purchase of the property is barred by local, state, or federal law based on any potential conflict of interest,” the city legal department wrote in a notice.

The legal department advised Brown to file an affidavit disclosing that he had an interest in a property that would be acquired by public funds, which he filed with the Harris County Clerk before City Council voted on the deal.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Campanile on Commerce: New Senior Living Apartments in Second Ward
  • 2 months later...