Sign in to follow this  
thedistrict84

Campanile on Commerce (2800 Commerce): New Senior Living Apartments in Second Ward

Noticed yesterday that there were surveyors out at this large, eternally empty lot (since at least 1952, based on historical aerial photography that I’ve found). Looked to be marking property boundaries along with the location of storm/sewer drains. HCAD shows that it is currently owned by Glaven Investments, LLC., and was acquired early last year from the Estate of Yolanda Black-Navarro.

Any insight as to what may be planned, if anything?

• Like 1

This area is townhome central, so the safe bet is more townhomes.

Edited by samagon

The only thing that has come up in Google is something called “Campanile on Commerce” mentioned in minutes from a HCAC meeting on 1/31/2018. Sounds like a small apartment complex, but it’s not clear.

Edited by thedistrict84
Phrasing
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Document shows 120 units, which sounds about right if it’s a two to three story complex like the one a block away on Canal at N Paige.

I’m interested to see a site plan to determine the layout, setback, etc.

• Like 1

There is a notice of public hearing sign placed on the property regarding R.O.W. dedication on Delano St.

Sounds like they’re placing a driveway for access to the property from Delano. There is currently a driveway just southeast of the intersection between Delano and Commerce.

Not sure how accurate an inferrence from that regarding setback or layout could be, but it seems to me that this means the parking lot (or garage?) may be situated on the northwest portion of the property, fronting Delano.

There is a new notice of reconsideration of requirement up on the property, for the purpose of “not dedicat[ing] 10’ R-O-W along Delano St.”

Edited by thedistrict84

Still no activity on this site, despite funding being issued to the developer back in October. I’ve looked for an update online and nothing has come up.

http://swamplot.com/city-council-to-cut-check-for-second-ward-senior-housing-today/2018-10-23/

There are three other similar projects predominately targeting the 60% AMI level which are earmarked for this general area using a combination of TIRZ funds and HUD/federal funds, as was the case here. I’m curious to know what happened with this project and what bearing it may have on the City’s willingness to work with these other developers. 

Frankly, things seem a bit shady.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

They’re beginning work on the drainage system. High-capacity system seems consistent with a 120 unit apartment.

KoZCztp.jpg

Edited by thedistrict84
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Any updates?

They’re still in the process of installing the drainage system and leveling the lot. Making decent progress so far, and should start the actual construction of the building in a few weeks.

I’ll take a few pics this evening and post them.

Now on the HAIF Development Map under the layer "Proposed". For any updates on the status of this project. Please DM me.

Things to keep an eye on include (but not limited to):

-updated renders (will be adding pics to all projects later)
-project name changes

-changes in use or additions of uses

-changes in number of stories

-changes to Developer or additional Developers

-changes to Architect or additional Architects/Designers

-announcements or changes to construction dates / finish dates

If any of the above is missing in the project info already then please assist clarifying any missing info to me.