Urbannizer

Hampton Heights: New Condo Building @1800 W. 15th

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

PICK A WINDOW SHAPE ALREADY!

 

Exactly new owners can pick their window shape

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another post-modern mess...

Surge Homes, unless you have Michael Graves on your staff (which is impossible, you know, because he is dead) then don't do this. We get enough style bending messes from home builders in suburbia, you have to do better than this! I'm sure you guys can do better than this!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of like it.  It reminds me of a roll of Life Savers, and at least it isn't beige. 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the upper four stories. The bottom two is a dystopian nightmare of a world in which vehicles and gates have displaced neighborhood and community, but perhaps the whole thing is meant as a clever satire on our current political situation? "Fortress Pleasantville" might be a good name for it. In its total tongue-in-cheek inauthenticity, it has a certain authenticity.

 

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see what they're trying to go for. Fine-grained urbanism is a lot more visually interesting than course-grained urbanism, so lots of times coarse-grained buildings get dressed up as fine-grained blocks. However, for this to work, you have to follow it all the way to the ground. In this case, you still get all the street-level disadvantages of course-grained development (a continuous wall of parking garage), with visual confusion on top (since there's no reason for the breaks in the facade). 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rendering shows people walking down the street.
Who the hell would want to?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

The rendering shows people walking down the street.
Who the hell would want to?

 

Good to have you back on the forum.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

 

Good to have you back on the forum.

 

Thank you, H-Town. Good to be back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve experienced much success in Houston by collaborating with residents and future homebuyers to plan our communities in an interactive manner. Today, we want to push our plan one step further and ask for your comments on a draft rendering that normally would never be shown publicly but one which we use in-house with our architect to apply different materials and colors to determine the final exterior design. Of course, the attached rendering is plain and does not show landscaping or a beautiful finish and therefore builders don’t normally reveal this work-in-progress to the public. Since members of this forum have proven to be very generous in providing us with insightful comments, we’d like to ask for your recommendations for the exterior envelope and we’ll propose colored renderings. Please keep affordability in mind when making your suggestions because this is what helps our buyers become owners. We previously addressed, in this thread, that the rendering in the first post was just a draft and will change. Attached is a new, never-before-released, rendering of the exterior architecture of the building and we’d like your opinion on materials and colors. We want this condominium development, Hampton Heights, to contribute to the landscape of the Greater Heights and we welcome and value your collaboration in our effort to achieve this goal.

Hampton Heights.png

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, SurgeHomes said:

We’ve experienced much success in Houston by collaborating with residents and future homebuyers to plan our communities in an interactive manner. Today, we want to push our plan one step further and ask for your comments on a draft rendering that normally would never be shown publicly but one which we use in-house with our architect to apply different materials and colors to determine the final exterior design. Of course, the attached rendering is plain and does not show landscaping or a beautiful finish and therefore builders don’t normally reveal this work-in-progress to the public. Since members of this forum have proven to be very generous in providing us with insightful comments, we’d like to ask for your recommendations for the exterior envelope and we’ll propose colored renderings. Please keep affordability in mind when making your suggestions because this is what helps our buyers become owners. We previously addressed, in this thread, that the rendering in the first post was just a draft and will change. Attached is a new, never-before-released, rendering of the exterior architecture of the building and we’d like your opinion on materials and colors. We want this condominium development, Hampton Heights, to contribute to the landscape of the Greater Heights and we welcome and value your collaboration in our effort to achieve this goal.

Hampton Heights.png

 

 

I’m not a big fan of the stairwell design. I wish it was more integrated into the building. Also the pitched roof over the stairwells are very Hamilton-ish - think your better with a flat roof with some sort of metal canopy architectural element. 

 

on a side note - always wondered why most apartments have balconies? I may represent the minority, but I would much rather have that space for a living area. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do the awnings need both poles to support them from below and also cables to support them from above?  Shouldn't one or the other be sufficient, not both?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So that's head-in parking - how does the sidewalk work here? Is it diverted behind the parking, under the canopy? Or is it between the parking and the street? That would be... not great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2018 at 10:08 AM, Angostura said:

I see what they're trying to go for. Fine-grained urbanism is a lot more visually interesting than course-grained urbanism, so lots of times coarse-grained buildings get dressed up as fine-grained blocks. However, for this to work, you have to follow it all the way to the ground. In this case, you still get all the street-level disadvantages of course-grained development (a continuous wall of parking garage), with visual confusion on top (since there's no reason for the breaks in the facade). 

 

 

 

Its a great point. However it should be genuine. That kind of urbanism comes with the development of properties over time as they each build separately and play off the styles and looks of one another. Manufacturing that kind of urbanism top down just comes off as kitsch. If its a single building than make the building holistic with elements that differentiate certain areas that give more definition to the facade that faces the outside. The only way we will be able to get that desired fine-grained urbanism is to create bottom up and watch it grow over time, or cut the development into phases and build it over different instances with different clients/architects.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Luminare said:

 

Its a great point. However it should be genuine. That kind of urbanism comes with the development of properties over time as they each build separately and play off the styles and looks of one another. Manufacturing that kind of urbanism top down just comes off as kitsch. If its a single building than make the building holistic with elements that differentiate certain areas that give more definition to the facade that faces the outside. The only way we will be able to get that desired fine-grained urbanism is to create bottom up and watch it grow over time, or cut the development into phases and build it over different instances with different clients/architects.

 

We get it in certain parts of town, but not at this level of density. This blockface, for example, has pretty much been completely changed over the last 10-12 years, one lot at a time. 

 

There are some impediments to this. When you have parking requirements at the dwelling unit level, it can be much more efficient to centralize the parking. Add in setbacks, especially lateral setbacks, and the buildable area goes way up when you consolidate. Barring those constraints, you could, in theory, take a city block. replat into 25-ft frontages, maybe run an alley or private driveway through the middle, impose some design guidelines, and let each individual purchaser to develop as they see fit. Sort of a suburban subdevelopment model with urban density. Some people would build a single townhouse, some a 4-unit apartment building, some maybe residential over retail.

 

However, the value to the developer is usually in the built square footage. That is, 50 smaller lots are worth more than one bid one. The only reason to break up a block-sized plot would be if you don't have the capital to develop the whole thing at once.

 

I once lived in a building in a very dense urban area (outside the US). The original owner of the building used to own the entire block. He re-platted the block into small parcels and sold of 95% of the land to fund the construction of the building. The area is now mostly built out with fine-grained low-rise 4 to 20-unit condo buildings. No one would think of doing that today, for a couple reasons. First, in any place that will support that kind of density, the land value is high enough that you wouldn't need to sell off anywhere near that high a proportion to fund construction. Second, capital availability in the modern economy is such that there's way more money to be had by using debt financing and developing the whole block in one go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SurgeHomes said:

We’ve experienced much success in Houston by collaborating with residents and future homebuyers to plan our communities in an interactive manner. Today, we want to push our plan one step further and ask for your comments on a draft rendering that normally would never be shown publicly but one which we use in-house with our architect to apply different materials and colors to determine the final exterior design. Of course, the attached rendering is plain and does not show landscaping or a beautiful finish and therefore builders don’t normally reveal this work-in-progress to the public. Since members of this forum have proven to be very generous in providing us with insightful comments, we’d like to ask for your recommendations for the exterior envelope and we’ll propose colored renderings. Please keep affordability in mind when making your suggestions because this is what helps our buyers become owners. We previously addressed, in this thread, that the rendering in the first post was just a draft and will change. Attached is a new, never-before-released, rendering of the exterior architecture of the building and we’d like your opinion on materials and colors. We want this condominium development, Hampton Heights, to contribute to the landscape of the Greater Heights and we welcome and value your collaboration in our effort to achieve this goal.

Hampton Heights.png

 

I actually like the first rendering better.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, H-Town Man said:

 

I actually like the first rendering better.

 

I agree with this. I still hate the first floor and the parking scheme. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anyway the stairwells could be moved to the back? I think the stairs being out front really cheapen the look of the front façade - it kinda gives it that seedy motel feel. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now