Jump to content
LBC2HTX

The Regalia at the Park: 100 Crawford

Recommended Posts

In looking at the design again, even the type font for "Regalia" looks like something out of the early-to-mid 90's.  I'm trying to think if the builder can make any tweaks so it might go the full "La Luz del Mundo"--so odd, so kitschy that one can't help but love it.

 

Edit: In thinking about this more, they could put points painted in a metallic gold on top of the rounded edges to mimic the points on a crown (thinking of the old Burger King crowns for this one). One could even add space for stained glass to mimic jewels.  It'd at least stand out from the generic crowd of apartments that way.

Edited by houstontexasjack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:00 AM, Avossos said:

 

Just a reminder of what to expect:

 

- 4 yr+ construction timeline

- zero ground floor interaction

- palm trees that will freeze the first winter

- awful stucco

- ridiculous 90's curve roof architecture

- crayon font building logo

 

yay

With a few modifications the façade could be something special:

Haring.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been watching this demo happen.  Seems like it's coming a long.

 

There is also a exit ramp being construction down the street.  Is that the 45 rebuild?

 

O6fCN2i.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:



Mods please merge this thread with the original one.

And ekdrm2d1, sometimes using the search can help. If you don't know the name of the project, you can search by the cross streets that are included in posts about projects, sort by date and most often you will find the project you're looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:



Mods please merge this thread with the original one.

And ekdrm2d1, sometimes using the search can help. If you don't know the name of the project, you can search by the cross streets that are included in posts about projects, sort by date and most often you will find the project you're looking for.

 

Merged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dwf402 said:

Just an FYI, I work in the Eller Wagon Works building across the street. The building in the right side of the photo.

Nice! The design firm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phillip_white said:

Looking at the map provided, the bridges are part of the Elysian St. bridge. The Hardy Toll road extension merges with Elysian,  north of the bridge or so it seems. Two other Hardy Toll Rd. connections are east of the bridge, connecting to I-69.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dwf402 said:

Added a new rendering to the construction fence.

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2697.jpg

Only slightly more attractive than The Hamilton on the southern tip of downtown. . . That’s not saying much.  This project looks like it belongs in Katy or Sugar Land rather than downtown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my favorite things about Houston is that a 6 story apartment complex built to the curb could be considered to fit into the suburbs.  It really says a lot more about Katy or Sugarland than this specific project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

My only complaint is why they didn't try to blend it in with the brick warehouses around it

 

Exactly. It's a bad design.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's almost too boring to be truly ugly, but somehow it manages it. 

That said, it's more people downtown, so I will keep my complaining to a minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From today

 

E14ulJV.jpg

 

By the way, what is that Midrise Apartments on Crawford near the St. Joseph's building that is getting remolded? I have construction photos but can't find the thread. Posted in Midtown or Downtown subforums?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a run of the mill red brick apartment would have fit in really well and would have been timeless. As an unfortunate stucco owner this is seriously very dumb!

 

Edited by Chi-Char-Hou-Dal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hindesky said:

Looks like they found some Texas Tea.

abzYM2b.jpg

If from an underground storage tank they are looking at some costly soil remediation. I hope contingency funds were allocated.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Specwriter said:

If from an underground storage tank they are looking at some costly soil remediation. I hope contingency funds were allocated.

Something like that should have been found in the Environmental Site Analysis. I wonder if the firm that did it would be responsible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Something like that should have been found in the Environmental Site Analysis. I wonder if the firm that did it would be responsible.

 

I agree with @Specwriter normally (if you are smart) you put unforeseen things like this in a contractors contingency. Sometimes you just don't know what is under there. Not everything gets discovered in a survey. Now if it was in the survey and they just decided to dig anyway then its on the contractor. If they followed the survey to a T yet still hit something like this (and it wasn't in any prior surveys then nobody is really at fault. Its just an unforeseen accident that you then hope can be covered with the contingency.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Luminare said:

 

I agree with @Specwriter normally (if you are smart) you put unforeseen things like this in a contractors contingency. Sometimes you just don't know what is under there. Not everything gets discovered in a survey. Now if it was in the survey and they just decided to dig anyway then its on the contractor. If they followed the survey to a T yet still hit something like this (and it wasn't in any prior surveys then nobody is really at fault. Its just an unforeseen accident that you then hope can be covered with the contingency.

 

I'm not talking about a survey, but an ESA where the whole history of the property is researched and every historical use identified, as well as study of the soil. Those typically are relied on for knowledge of underground storage tanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

 

I'm not talking about a survey, but an ESA where the whole history of the property is researched and every historical use identified, as well as study of the soil. Those typically are relied on for knowledge of underground storage tanks.

 

 

An ESA must have been done or the owner is really stupid. USTs show up easy in these surveys unless it went unregistered and wasn't from a historical gas station where you can assume all USTs leak. If the company that did the ESA missed it, then they can be held responsible. Or the owner could have been informed and said screw a Phase II to save a few bucks hoping the contamination was minimal and are now paying the price. Having seen ESAs from that part of town, it is a good bet you'll hit contaminated soil. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it just be equipment leaking? Hydraulic oil or something that the ponding collected 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's not hydraulic oil, more likely engine oil or as someone said an unknown tank underground.

Edited by hindesky
spelling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...