Sovereign At The Ballpark: Multifamily At 100 Crawford St.

LBC2HTX

47 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

I think th

I think the article misstated the streets that bound the block (and I quoted the misstatement.)  The block with the address 100 Crawford is surface parking.

I hope it turns out the streets are correct and the address isn't. Would rather this project be further on the margins. The land where the vacant warehouse is would certainly be cheaper, which gives hope to that possibility.

• Like 1

So this is just across the street from Wagon Works, but to the north.  A mexican restaurant opened up in the existing turn of century warehouse when we lived there.

I like the old warehouse much better than those apartments. This is not a good look for the old neighborhood. Looks like it should be on Richmond between Chimney Rock and Hilcroft.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Avossos said:

these guys are cleaning it up, no?

It would be WONDERFUL if this was somehow reused and not demolished!!!!!!!!!

Why save it though? I understand saving something with historic or architectural significance, but this one is neither and ugly... 

On 5/25/2018 at 9:44 AM, Chi-Char-Hou-Dal said:

B1B7A7B0-9064-41D7-AC70-041EE34EE610.jpeg

FBCD7F50-D94E-41F7-A631-944984607BF7.jpeg

When we lived across the street from this building I would walk our border collie around here over to the field under the Elysian Viaduct. If you look along the sidewalk there are open slots under the building and there were people living all under there. The first time we were walking back at night I thought I heard someone talking but didn't see them. Then I saw someone smoking a cigarette and smoke coming from the slots. It was one of those moments that catches you  totally off guard and scared the hell out of me. The dog went crazy barking and scared the hell out of them too. In the day time you could see clothes and blankets and all kinds of things when the light was right down there. It was like an underground tent city. On the Franklin side where  Jackson's barbecue is, was Fiesta Ballroom, a Mexican dance hall with great neon and young girls who would dance with the customers for money. I never went in but there was a story about it in the chronicle.

It was a crazy scene back then.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cspwal said:

But why power wash it then if they're just going to remove the asbestos?

(I'm guessing) the plastic would confine any loose asbestos from scattering, but it could still settle in the crevices of the bricks. The power washing would remove the last of the residue.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2018 at 9:37 PM, bobruss said:

When we lived across the street from this building I would walk our border collie around here over to the field under the Elysian Viaduct. If you look along the sidewalk there are open slots under the building and there were people living all under there. The first time we were walking back at night I thought I heard someone talking but didn't see them. Then I saw someone smoking a cigarette and smoke coming from the slots. It was one of those moments that catches you  totally off guard and scared the hell out of me. The dog went crazy barking and scared the hell out of them too. In the day time you could see clothes and blankets and all kinds of things when the light was right down there. It was like an underground tent city. On the Franklin side where  Jackson's barbecue is, was Fiesta Ballroom, a Mexican dance hall with great neon and young girls who would dance with the customers for money. I never went in but there was a story about it in the chronicle.

It was a crazy scene back then.

Out of curiosity, what year was this? 

This was around 1998 -2000. We lived in the PPG building on the south side of the Wagon Works building from 97-2002. I took the dog for a walk at least once a day every day. Sometimes walks over to check on construction of Metro rail, and the Enron ball park and sometimes around Irma's original and the the Jackson exit ramp. We'd walk out to the end of the ramp before connected and would be above the old 59. Great view of downtown and a long way down.Then I'd take her out in the early evening.  Love the old power plant along the bayou and it seems that Brinks or Rollins had a building where the trucks were stored. Of course I always kept my eyes out for that bag that fell off the back off the truck, but I never found one.

Used to go over to the biscuit building while under restoration. That building had the most incredible space on the top floor where the ovens were originally run.. Huge steel beams and great windows. It was big enough to play basketball games in . Very tall ceiling and all brick. The light was fantastic. Just a wonderful space that I hope has been utilized. They eventually built the Star of Hope building across the street from it. 

2 hours ago, Elseed said:

Out of curiosity, what year was this? 

• Like 5