Sovereign At The Ballpark: Multifamily At 100 Crawford St.

LBC2HTX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Specwriter said:

If from an underground storage tank they are looking at some costly soil remediation. I hope contingency funds were allocated.

Something like that should have been found in the Environmental Site Analysis. I wonder if the firm that did it would be responsible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Something like that should have been found in the Environmental Site Analysis. I wonder if the firm that did it would be responsible.

I agree with @Specwriter normally (if you are smart) you put unforeseen things like this in a contractors contingency. Sometimes you just don't know what is under there. Not everything gets discovered in a survey. Now if it was in the survey and they just decided to dig anyway then its on the contractor. If they followed the survey to a T yet still hit something like this (and it wasn't in any prior surveys then nobody is really at fault. Its just an unforeseen accident that you then hope can be covered with the contingency.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Luminare said:

I agree with @Specwriter normally (if you are smart) you put unforeseen things like this in a contractors contingency. Sometimes you just don't know what is under there. Not everything gets discovered in a survey. Now if it was in the survey and they just decided to dig anyway then its on the contractor. If they followed the survey to a T yet still hit something like this (and it wasn't in any prior surveys then nobody is really at fault. Its just an unforeseen accident that you then hope can be covered with the contingency.

I'm not talking about a survey, but an ESA where the whole history of the property is researched and every historical use identified, as well as study of the soil. Those typically are relied on for knowledge of underground storage tanks.

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

I'm not talking about a survey, but an ESA where the whole history of the property is researched and every historical use identified, as well as study of the soil. Those typically are relied on for knowledge of underground storage tanks.

An ESA must have been done or the owner is really stupid. USTs show up easy in these surveys unless it went unregistered and wasn't from a historical gas station where you can assume all USTs leak. If the company that did the ESA missed it, then they can be held responsible. Or the owner could have been informed and said screw a Phase II to save a few bucks hoping the contamination was minimal and are now paying the price. Having seen ESAs from that part of town, it is a good bet you'll hit contaminated soil. 

• 2 weeks later...