Sovereign At The Ballpark: Multifamily At 100 Crawford St.

LBC2HTX

• The title was changed to The Regalia at the Park: 100 Crawford
29 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

There is a rendering in BizJournals story, behind the paywall.  Looks like a 6 story wrap. 

Can ya snip it and post?

Average stuff like this is good in that it brings more of the less-than-super-rich to downtown. Younger people out of college, etc.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

Looks like they do mid-rise apartments. They've done the Dolce Living communities around town, which is kind of scary. They did do a nice urban midrise in Minneapolis.

Which means it'll take more than 4 yrs to be complete.

2000's mid-rise wrap design: 

regalia-downtown-lofts*1500xx987-740-522

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

Well... I didn't know it would be this average. Their Minneapolis building is night and day better. Of course that's a huge wheat town, so money flows like water up there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Here is the full rendering of the Regalia at the Park in downtown Houston at 100 Congress, the one posted above is cropped.

wCaJHqJ.jpg

It’s got a certain charm to it. Maybe it’s the palm trees in the rendering, but I’m getting a discount spring break in Miami Beach vibe. The kind of place where a hirsute man with an open shirt and a gold chain says “my friend, I have deal for you...”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

Wait, four large multi-family projects either under way or expected to start soon?  (And I think they left off a fifth one, on the block just north of Metro's HQ, and a sixth in the works by Hines)  Haven't these developers gotten the word that downtown residential "demand has been ehh"?      Someone should get them a subscription to 102IAHexpress's real estate investment newsletter before they all lose their shirts developing in downtown Houston.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

I would agree,  but isn't this across the street from the turn of cent. Wagon Works Bldg., with the nice allee of palms. Our address was 101 Crawford. We were actually in the newer PPG bldg. The more modern addition on the south end of the Wagon Works. I think this site is a parking lot now, on the east side of Crawford.

That was the best view of downtown. We had the top floor, a 3000 Sq. Ft space, with a living room with a 50 foot wall of nice tall windows. Hot as hell in the summer, and cold in the winter, but the views were worth every penny spent on heat and air. Sunsets behind downtown could be amazing and cold fronts coming right into those big windows, could get hairy, lightning storms flashing and  Blue Angels  down Crawford for the start of the grand prix in downtown.  Watched Enron park Minute Maid, built from scratch from our  balcony. The space had been used by the sheriffs department for a "questioning building" before they moved out several years before our landlord bought it. . There was actually a height chart on the inside of one of the doors. Downstairs was a built in safe.

The building was very raw and had such a great loft feel. Lived there seven years before we all got kicked out by fire marshall. Turned out the owner had never even filed for a cert. of occupancy. Hope they never tear that block of buildings down!

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 4

Wasn't Surge going to build here? It's going to be wedged between the Hardy Toll Road on and off ramp when they finish the downtown connector. How could this be considered "Luxury"? Take it a block or two south or southwest and it may be a better spot since it would be closer to MMP. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think surge was going to build nearby - there was a preexisting building on the surge site

what it is a (non-subsidized) infill project that stretches the active area of downtown north more. I just wish the didn’t bill it as luxury 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hindesky said:

Wasn't Surge going to build here? It's going to be wedged between the Hardy Toll Road on and off ramp when they finish the downtown connector. How could this be considered "Luxury"? Take it a block or two south or southwest and it may be a better spot since it would be closer to MMP. 

Your wish is granted.  It IS a block south.  It's on the block bounded by Crawford Street, Commerce Street, North Jackson Street and Ruiz Street.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, AREJAY said:

There is a Ford Raptor in the parking lot in the most recent google street view though. That's pretty nice 

I have google earth pro and there is a full block of variant buildings.

Were they demolished recently? I see buildings on my applications.

• Like 2

Hmmm so 100 Crawford would apply to the block bounded by Comerce/Franklin and Crawford/LaBranch. This is currently a parking lot and has been for at least 10 years.

The description says it is the block bounded by Ruiz/Commerce and N Jackson/Crawford.  This currently has an old building with a wrap-around awning and rounded corners which had a sign that said "Thermal Supply" on it in the 2008 street view, as well as a white brick building on the corner of Crawford and Commerce built in 1914.  The addresses for these places would be 1 - 99 (odd) Crawford.

As an aside, the Surge site is actually the block to the north of this (the current building is pebble sided).  Here is an image from the beginning of the Surge thread:

aerial_2.jpg

This the development would be the yellow one, the original Surge site is in red.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Avossos said:

I have google earth pro and there is a full block of variant buildings.

Were they demolished recently? I see buildings on my applications.

My bad, I was looking at the empty lot caddy-corner... Sorry, oops. 

Edit, @cspwal posted at the same time, maybe it is that lot? 

Edited by AREJAY
  • Like 1

I'd prefer the old buildings to be renovated too, but here is my preference list:

1. Nice new building
  2. Nicely renovated historical buildings
  3. Actively used buildings of any age
  4. Parking garage with GFR
  5. Parking garage
  6. Parking lot
  7. Empty grass lot
  8. Giant hole in the ground
  9. Abandoned buildings

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hindesky said:

The thing is, if they went a block or two south or southwest, the land would be more expensive and the economics of the project would not work. This is similar to the project overlooking the 45/59 interchange. Because the land is so cheap, you are able to put a cheap apartment building there. And cheap land with a cheap building means relatively cheap rents, allowing people who make under $100k to live downtown.

Of course, even for the low end, I'm sure you could find a more contemporary design.

• Like 1

Sounds like  good news all in all. With the renovation of the Great Southwestern building, the new high rise going up north of MMP and now this, pedestrian traffic will pick up. This appears to be in a positive feedback cycle, so I suspect more development will follow. More life downtown.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Ugghh...  that strange building rendering plus those hideous out of place "near this part of Buffalo Bayou" palm trees.  Still, I guess it's better than no development in that area...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

There are no buildings on the site.

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Your wish is granted.  IS a block south.  It's on the block bounded by Crawford Street, Commerce Street, North Jackson Street and Ruiz Street.

There were buildings on the site in October. Have they been demolished?

• Like 1