Sunset Heights Park At 6000 North Main St.

native_Houstonian

Drive by this all the time and never saw it in use (given METRO never uses it these days, I guess why). The gas station that once operated there (closed between 1989 and 1995, though I can look it up) was only the southern "tip" (the triangle south of Louise Street, which was closed when it became a transit center). There is the La Coqueta bar there, which has red neon at night (unknown if it's still open, as the neon I've only seen at night) and looks pretty sketchy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, native_Houstonian said:

You are correct....the gas station was only at the southern tip.   I think they tore down houses on the north side to complete the station?   I can't remember now.   I was at the grand opening of the transit center, I do remember that!

Aerials seem to indicate houses between Louise and Adele. Lot was also cleared--the trees that were there were torn down completely, though the trees that are there now have grown up. The transit center was dedicated in March 1992. I can't find the date it was (largely) abandoned.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/19/2018 at 10:19 AM, mcook2002 said:

La Coqueta is open sporadically, though it is not located on the transit center lot, its adjacent to a portion of it to the east.  The transit center was abandoned in 2015.

I didn't say that La Coqueta was on the transit center lot, but nearby. I just remember driving by and seeing just total darkness except the red neon border of La Coqueta. The 2015 abandonment makes sense, from Google Maps it looks like it was abandoned in the mid-2010s, and 2015 was when the bus routes were revamped.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

IMG_4645.jpg.74b013b79ebcb92dbe8703245d388dc6.jpgIMG_4646.jpg.207cd659cc6e66b197f64e0802f3f1fb.jpgIMG_4647.jpg.02c4eb39fc7383b6930968b5120efd2a.jpg

Took these last weekend.  When I went by yesterday, there is 8 inch indention or so, the excavator is gone, and there are 6 metal bollards erected in 2 places around the circle.  The only thing I can come up with is a future splash park?    The rest of the transit station remains unchanged for now.

Edited by native_Houstonian
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

Just posted on The Leader:

"Houston City Council approved the submission of a grant application to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department in October of last year. In May, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission approved the $898,000 urban outdoor matching grant for the planned park, Sunset Heights Park. 

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department grant will be matched with public funds and donations to repurpose the METRO Transit Station."

https://www.theleadernews.com/community/planned-sunset-heights-park-receives-grant/article_839a126a-c936-11eb-b90c-53e9690afee7.html?fbclid=IwAR0KWB9mfHep9XIyuE0P-aAIJT94xDwysFCVRJtjNbzvoL9-OHxjgK9Mp3o

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Sunset Heights Park At 6000 North Main St.