Book Banning In Montgomery County

pineda

"We're not going to burn books but we're going to cut them up," he said. There are 70 specific books they are complaining about.
:(

http://www.avidd.org/

ugh

and what about counter-protesting? man, i wish i could leave work early!

Rallies will begin at 9 a.m. at the main branch in Conroe at 104 Interstate 45 North. The other locations are Montgomery at 19380 Texas 105W, Suite 507, 10 a.m.; Willis, at 709 W. Montgomery (FM 1097) at 11 a.m.; New Caney, located at 21130 U.S. 59 at 12:30 p.m.; The Woodlands, at 2101 Lake Robbins Drive at 2 p.m.; and the final rally will be in Magnolia at 510 Melton St. at 3:15 p.m.

I went to a Catholic School for 13 years. As much as the teachers object to some books, they didn't want to censor anything. This was especially true in high-school.

I wish people would just wake up. If you don't like the book, don't read it.

Many of times the reasons they are banning the book would also ban the bible.

How many other books have as much violence, sex, and other debauchery as the bible?

Quote from the article:

"One reason we want to do it is we've found that veteran's groups can take action without a lot of criticism. Who's going to criticize a veteran's organization?" he asked.

Oh, allow me. Just because you enlisted in the armed forces, doesn't give you the right to trample over the rights that your fellow soldiers died for. Using a military uniform as cover for the advocation of restrictions on our constitutional rights is as despicable as the activities you find objectionable...maybe more so.

Let me see if I understand this. American Veterans in Domestic Defense don't want to burn books, just cut them up? I wonder if my dad-who helped liberate Jews from Nazi concentration camps- would take his sissors to the rally, if he were alive. I'm thinking not.

I'm not sure I need a boat-load of anti American vets defending anything.

This is just so sad and disgusting on so many levels.

Kinda glad my dad's not around to see any of it.

:(

The Woodlands, at 2101 Lake Robbins Drive at 2 p.m.

If I'm in the area on Saturday, I may drop on by just because I'd like to see the titles in question and because I think it would be entertaining to see them trying to cut up some big old books! :)

Don't forget to bring some bibles and scissors.

If any book has a little bit everything that is objectionable, the bible has it.

I'm not saying it's a bad book in no way, but there's content in there that makes pretty much all this book destroying pointless.

Does anyone have a list of the books they are trying to destroy and ban?

There are many books that I don't agree with or like, but i don't try to ban or destroy them. Just don't buy it.

banned books week was from september 24 - october 1.

these "ceremonies" look like they are scheduled for this saturday...

anyhow, can you imagine a bunch of ignorant people amassing and misusing an organization's name to push their own psychotic beliefs? and with scissors no less!

i hope they all get jailed for destruction of property ifthey happen to get a chance to snip...

Yeah,

I never heard of such a list either, and that is after 13 years of Catholic Schooling.

Shoot, our library in high school had a copy of koran, torah, and Salmund Rushdie's Satanic Verses.

Stopping the free flow of thought whether you agree or not is first step in ruining a civilization.

I remember "The Pigman" and "Go ask Alice" were required reading in my Catholic grade school. Lots of sex, drinking and drugs in those books. Don't think they had any "no read" list, at least back then. We even did an analysis of "Jesus Christ Superstar" in music class even though the church "officially" frowned on making the life of Jesus into a Broadway musical. Of course that was the '70's when guitar masses were in vogue and the church was trying to be hip. The Catholic hyerarchy may say one thing but Catholic's pretty much do as they please.

I remember watching Jesus Christ Superstar in my senior Theology/Religion class. We had copies of the script. We looked over how the text of the movie didn't divert from the actual gospels.

Anyway, I don't think there ever was a no read list.

Wow, I must be a really bad Catholic because I have NO IDEA what list you're referring to. Do you happen to have that list handy to post here on this site so I can know what I'm not supposed to read....

Index Librorum Prohibitorum (Index of Forbidden Books), according to this source, was in effect from 1557 through 1966.

I have no recollection of it being mentioned in my Catholic religious education, either. However, theCatholic Courier used to - perhaps still does - include listings of movies which they deemed inappropriate for viewing by Catholics. On the rare occasions when my parents took us to movies, they always first consulted the Courier.

Catholic writer Flannery O'Connor mentions in one of her writings that she asked her priest for a special dispensation to see the movie Baby Doll (script by Tennesee Williams), which she dismissed as 'trash'.

I respectfully disagree.

Villager story on book protests.

AVIDD protests various books in library system

By: Nick Cenegy, HCN/Courier staff10/13/2005

The normal quiet of Montgomery County's libraries was interrupted by the roar of an industrial mulcher Saturday, as members of the American Veterans in Domestic Defense protested various books they found to be indecent, by shredding a book in effigy at each of the six county library locations.

Full Story

.....and the best part is:

"The group met its strongest resistance in The Woodlands, where about 45 people protested against the veterans' group."

Jim Cabaniss, the president of AVIDD, led a group that at times numbered up to 15, following a flatbed truck with a mulcher

nothing says protesting like an industrial shredder :rolleyes:

thanks for the article, bachanon

Villager story on book protests.

AVIDD protests various books in library system

By: Nick Cenegy, HCN/Courier staff10/13/2005

The normal quiet of Montgomery County's libraries was interrupted by the roar of an industrial mulcher Saturday, as members of the American Veterans in Domestic Defense protested various books they found to be indecent, by shredding a book in effigy at each of the six county library locations.

Full Story

.....and the best part is:

"The group met its strongest resistance in The Woodlands, where about 45 people protested against the veterans' group."

I read the entire story. I am extremely dissapointed-I thought they were going to use sissors. :lol:

B)

also, nothing says "noise disturbance" more than an industrial shredder..i forgot, are there any homes near that thing, if so id have just loved to be a neighbor to call about the noise, sure, they wouldnt get in trouble, but it would probably be a good waste of their time and prove a point....

Just one book at each location? Jeez, what cheapskates!

Sounds like these fellas have seen Fargo one too many times. B)

I wonder how much it costs to rent one of those shredders. Can't be worth the cost for gas and lugging it around to each location for one book. Weak @$$ protest if you ask me. Nothing to see here folks, move along, just some crotchety old men in diapers, tearing stuff up because they are bored, move along please. :huh:

don't get me wrong, i love and admire the bible and many christian authors. but, just for s***ts & giggles, maybe we should rent a shredder, show up at public displays of christian faith and shred some bibles, the constitution and federalist papers? bring some amy grant cds too. it would be great to find some way to show the idiocy of such demonstrations.

it is the end of a long day and i'm trying to wind down (maybe i'm a little uptight right now). but....don't these people have more important things to spend their time on? we just had two hurricanes for goodness sake. there are hundreds of ways to "save" (help) people right now rather than shredding books that "upset" you.

whew...venting session over. thanks. ;) going to fridge for second dos equis.

The Catholics had (have?) a list of "don't read these books or you are going to hell." Seems to me that's a surefire way to get people to WANT to read those very books.

It is incorrect to say "the Catholics" had it, as that implies that every place had such a list and that it came from the Vatican. That is not true.

In the days before there was a movie rating system, individual parishes published lists of movies that were unsuitable for young children for various reasons, including religious ones. The one in my parish was called "The Censor." You weren't obligated to go to Hell for seeing the films.

I don't know if there ever was a list that applied to books.

don't get me wrong, i love and admire the bible and many christian authors. but, just for s***ts & giggles, maybe we should rent a shredder, show up at public displays of christian faith and shred some bibles, the constitution and federalist papers? bring some amy grant cds too. it would be great to find some way to show the idiocy of such demonstrations.

it is the end of a long day and i'm trying to wind down (maybe i'm a little uptight right now). but....don't these people have more important things to spend their time on? we just had two hurricanes for goodness sake. there are hundreds of ways to "save" (help) people right now rather than shredding books that "upset" you.

whew...venting session over. thanks. ;) going to fridge for second dos equis.

Bach......you can't stoop to those idiots' level. It did not even get a blip on the radar as even being remotely meaningful. Just a bunch of yahoos with nothing better to do. :)

Archived